MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new here, have been browsing for a little while but finally decided to post something as I am starting on my mr-s conversion

Car: 1999 JDM mr-s
138,000kms
red

I bought it about 6 months ago, pretty standard other than 17" wheels, lowering springs (unknown brand), Apex'i stainless exhaust and HKS intake. The 5 speed c56 gearbox has very bad bearings in it. I didn't originally buy it to keep (I fix cars for a living) but I enjoyed driving so much I decided to keep it.

Also one day I happened across a crashed JDM corolla wagon that had a 2zz-ge and 6 speed. The car had heaps of mods; coilovers, wheels, blitz super charger kit etc! I bought the whole car, stripped it for all the valuable parts and sold what I didn't need. I decided the 2zz and C60 would make my car great.

Here's a few pictures of my car as it sits today:

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8391.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

here is the donor car before I dismantled it:
IMG_8129.jpg

Starting to prepare the motor and box for installing:
IMG_8435.jpg

So far I have done the following whilst engine/box are out: Replace thermostat, waterpump, rocker cover gasket, lift bolts, clean OCV strainers/solenoids, clean out supercharger and replace old oil with new compressor oil, replace gearbox seals, front and rear crank seals, spark plugs, sump seal, and clutch.

For those interested in how the blitz s/c kit fits, they make a custom sump which relocates the alternator down to the bottom to make way for the SC. This should be a good spot in the mr2 as it will stay cool.

Still got a few items to fit and or fabricate: MWR selector shaft/lockout, short shifter, exhaust, intercooler(probably water/air for space), boost gauge, bridge mount adapater, swap looms, swap ac and idler pulley/power steer, get new serpentine belt etc.

I am planning to remove the 1zz this weekend and start swapping over.

Future upgrades: Roll bar, i new wheels, power FC (i have standard 2zz computer), tune, brake line/pad/fluid/disc upgrade, extra chassis bracing, etc etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I almost forgot, my new wheels and my parts from MWR arrived today!

Wheels are 16x7.5" and 16x8.5" ET 30P 4x100. I like them a lot, and they were a great price. Got some 205/50/16 and 215/45/16s lined up to fit them soon, but I just had to trial fit them today!

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8407.jpg

An almost flush fit on the rear:
IMG_8416.jpg

Couldn't wait to see what the 8.5's looked like on the rear:
IMG_8418.jpg

or the front 7.5's:
IMG_8419.jpg

again a pretty flush fit on the front, slightly protruding all round by a few mm but this will get sorted once tyres and alignment are done, or I may roll the guards a touch.
I also got a full set of 4-2-1 custom made headers and mandrel bent exhaust from the corolla, I'll see what parts of this I can use in the MR:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVUIDfP-coYVml0bFpQQ3ZXTlE/view?usp=sharing

Got a big stack of original BLITZ front mount intercooler, BOV and piping left over. I somehow don't think that intercooler will fit anywhere! I'll probably do a water to air cooler mounted down between gearbox housing and passenger seat, should be enough room, nice short piping and not too much heat sink being low to the ground and out of the way:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVUIDfP-coYM3lraUdrR2JjNGM/view?usp=sharing

Lastly, I managed to find this used power FC without the hand controller for a super cheap price just this week, I simply had to purchase it (cost me around $300 USD) is PNP for a 2ZZ celica so easy to change my loom pins to suit:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVUIDfP-coYdjNjTDRkQVFPZXc/view?usp=sharing

All my parts from MWR arrived including selector shaft and some other conversion bits. I also ordered braided brake hoses, front and rear camber bolts (this thing is chewing out front tyres big time), lotus engine cover, short shifter etc. No pictures of those, its all on monkeywrench site if you want to see.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
Sounds like this will be a great build. Right now, your images are not showing up. You need to have about 10-12 post to include photos. I will be looking forward to seeing these pictures when they show up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can only do links at the moment sorry, let me know if you cant view them

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't the blitz kit come with a flashed ecm and a little box to control the charger.

The ZZT231 celica kit came with a whole ecu replacement, where as the corolla one I have just has a stock ecu plus a little control box that connects to a few ecu loom wires. All it does it kick the s/c clutch in at about 30% throttle. There is also a higher pressure FPR that goes in the tank

here is a video of the actual car that this engine was fitted to (not driven by me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utPiinuAd0

as you can see it is quite quick, 0-100kph had been measured at 4.8seconds. Should be a bit quicker in a 300kg lighter car, assuming I can get traction.

The C60 gearbox has been rebuilt with a Cusco LSD among other things

I am basically trying to build a Elise S on a budget!

Hopefully within a few posts I can actually upload images to SC forums, it is difficult to link images from other places to here, so sorry for having to click links.

I have 5 days off over Easter so I'm hoping to swap the motor and box over this weekend. I have seen somebody else on here who has fitted a supercharged 2zz from a TTE corolla T-sport and it did fit without cutting the firewall, so my fingers are crossed. Both setups use the same Ogura supercharger which is different to the lotus setup.

Wish me luck! Thanks for taking the time to look at my page.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Oh, I thought this was the factory installed compressor.
You have an actual Blitz kit. How will you be routing the piping?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I thought this was the factory installed compressor.
You have an actual Blitz kit. How will you be routing the piping?

Yeah this has the actual blitz full bolt on kit. I think the Elise and factory supercharged Europe Corolla don't run any intercooler, and I don't have space go top mount like an exige, so intercooling is a challenge. I was thinking of either running a small air to air I/c down by the LHS air duct in front of gearbox, but space is pretty tight. Therefore I think a water to air might be the best bet, installing the water/air in that same location but mounting the pump, reservoir and heat exchanger up by the mr2s standard radiator. I intend to retain a/c too.

There's no way that blitz fmic will fit anywhere, it's massive!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wheels are going to look great on the car. Good choice.
Thank you, everybody likes a bit of dish and I thought the black centres would suit the roof well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a good 7 hours of work done on the beast today.

Got engine removed, mwr 6 speed selector shaft and reverse lockout installed, modified 1zz dipstick to suit 2zz (even harder with a supercharger in the way), changed over some coolant pipes to suit the mr2 cooling system - no need for blanking off hoses now.

Also got most of 1zz loom installed, a bit tricky in some parts. Still need to change tps wiring and add 3 wires for vvt. Hoping to get 2zz in tomorrow :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice build mate.

But is there a place in mr-s chassis for blitz supercharger? My friend got Toyota Will VS with blitz sc and I thought it was too big for mr-s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a great build mate! What did you pay for the complete corolla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Corolla cost me about $2500 usd which was an absolute steal. After selling all the parts I didn't use the 2zz and gearbox should work out close to free.
The mr2 cost around $4000 usd.
I'm trying to keep the whole build with new wheels, parts etc under $10000 once I've sold off all spare stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice build mate.

But is there a place in mr-s chassis for blitz supercharger? My friend got Toyota Will VS with blitz sc and I thought it was too big for mr-s.
Thanks. Blitz use different size ogura ones depending on the car, I've had to 'massage' the firewall a bit and mount engine and box slightly further back but I'm pleased to say it just fits, will upload pictures soon

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Blitz kit is good for 200-220whp. The issue is the pulley, because its clutched its hard to get a smaller unit to build more boost. It. It builds 7psi to 6psi in lift if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blitz kit is good for 200-220whp. The issue is the pulley, because its clutched its hard to get a smaller unit to build more boost. It. It builds 7psi to 6psi in lift if I remember correctly.
Thanks for that. The Corolla this engine was in was dyno'd at about 170kW at the wheels which is bang on what you said. And yes it looks to boost about half a bar at its best, around 7psi. I was toying with the idea of swapping the supercharger pulley with the old Corolla aircon one as the ac pulley was a few mm less diameter. Can't remember exact measurements but probably would have given me a few more psi at lower revs. It needed a bit of lathe work so I decided I would leave it as is for now. The other issue is the em clutch on the supercharger has lots more surface area and probably a stronger electro magnet than the aircon one, I was concerned the ac one might not 'bite'.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts