MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,
Although i've been a forum member for 2 years now, this is my very first post. I wish it was more positive, but unfortunately, its not. Here's what happened:
My car was broken into over the weekend and towed away without me even having a clue that it happend! I live in the city so I dont use my car on a daily basis. I noticed two days later that it was GONE. When i went to retrieve it from the tow lot I found that the passenger seat window had been broken into and my $3000+ music system including bass and amp had been totally gutted out of the car :(
Insurance wont cover the electronics because I put them in myself. I'll have to save for a few months before I can put something nice back in, but I would like to get a REALLY KICKASS alarm system before I do anything. I'd love some advice on what kind of alarm to get. I'd love something that would inform me of anything happening to my car, even when i'm miles away. Does this exist? If not, whats the next best thing? I hope you guys can help me. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Booooo! Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event.

I personally do not have any recommendations on an alarm, but I do have a head unit from a Celica GTS I can ship you to hold you over. I'm not sure it will work for your application, just thought I'd try to help tie you over until you can replace what you've lost. I also have most of the stock speakers out of the GTS if you want those too. Just PM me your address.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The shop I've used to install alarms in my last 3 cars have used viper products exclusively. I've found them to be very reliable (never been locked out of my car by my own alarm). They come in a range of classes, from around $150 to much more. The system I have on my spyder is designed for cars like it. It has a motion sensor inside the cab, so if someone breaks in, (even by slashing the top) the alarm still goes off. In addition, it has 2 way paging, which works from about 200 yards. I broke down the costs and components in one of my earlier threads, total cost installed was in the $650 to $680 range. The 2 way paging is a major confidence booster, but I don't know if they make any with ranges of miles.

Very sorry to hear about your car. :( Listen to Cyclehead and read your policy; he's right, they could be lying to you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
sorry for your lost. my car just was broken into just last month. when i have the $, ill get a viper or clifford alarm system with 2 way paging with a mile range and with proximity sensor installed.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Your question piqued my curiosity - so I checked my own insurance coverage. My comprehensive insurance covers theft or loss by anything other than a crash. It covers "custom equipment" up to $5000. My agent did ask if the custom equipement was "permanently installed" as opposed to lying on the seat. Your agent's "installed by you" criteria sounds bogus. Tell the clown that you forgot...you actually paid somebody to install it for you...and you lost the receipt. Now he can pay your claim. Do you have receipts for the equipment? Maybe they just want to verify you aren't fibbing about the upgraded stuff.

p.s. My coverage specifically mentions "anti theft devices". They won't pay to replace them!

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Almost all my previous convertibles (MG's, Triumph) either had door locks that didn't work, tops that didn't secure well or just no top at all. I'm with Old Man, don't have or leave valuable stuff in a convertible. Then again, I'm also old.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Have you considered a 140+ db siren mounted under the dash of the vehicle? Just saying, they make some very impressively loud sirens if you really wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
All of this alarm system stuff is nonsense. I leave my top down and the only thing I lock is the glove compartment and if there are any valuables they go in the frunk.

My headunit has an anti theft device that discourages thieves and that is once the batt is disconnected it is no good without a code.

Most insurance policies cover any theft done to the inside and outside of the car including stereo systems and it is best to get a police report.

If a thief wants my stuff there is no aftermarket alarm system that is going to deter them.

Incidentally I am about to get home owners roaming insurance for my Camera Equipment. $36 for the whole year covers upto $5k from theft or damage. This way I no longer have to be paranoid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts