MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I disconnected my battery and put it on trickle charger for approximately 3 or 4 days. ( Prior to that I had no issues with the car.) When reconnected the battery and tried to start it .... nothing happened ( radio and dome lights come on, I can here the fuel pump, but nothing else. ( No ticking from the starter, nothing!) I immediately thought it was probably the anti theft system, so I locked, and unlocked the doors using the remote, but still nothing, it doesn't turn over or attempted to crank. I had the battery tested just to make sure it wasn't the issue the battery is fine. Any ideas, before I start replacing the alternator and starter?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You mentioned the radio and dome, but what about the mechanical lights? For example, CEL, ABS, oil, charge. They are all supposed to come on with the ignition.

At any rate, you should first check all fuses whenever you have an electrical problem, and certainly before you think about replacing the starter. If you do not even get a click, then the problem is almost certainly not the starter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is possible that the starter has died. It is somewhat common for Hondas, not sure about this car though. If you can reach it, sometimes whacking it hard with a breaker bar or something while trying to start can help it get going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is possible that the starter has died. It is somewhat common for Hondas, not sure about this car though. If you can reach it, sometimes whacking it hard with a breaker bar or something while trying to start can help it get going.
Yeah I'm hoping it's not the starter, it just seemed odd that leaving the battery disconnected for an extended time would create such a head ache!!! FYI I love my honda cranks every time!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mentioned the radio and dome, but what about the mechanical lights? For example, CEL, ABS, oil, charge. They are all supposed to come on with the ignition.

At any rate, you should first check all fuses whenever you have an electrical problem, and certainly before you think about replacing the starter. If you do not even get a click, then the problem is almost certainly not the starter.
Thanks!!!
FYI all dash lights are on, I've been researching and I am starting to think it may be the transponder key???? Hopefully it's just a fuse as you say.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
…starting to think it may be the transponder key????.
To Test, when a Master key is inserted into the ignition lock, the security light should stop blinking immediately.
If a Valet key is inserted, the security light will remain on (not Blinking) for 2 seconds and then go out.
If the Security light does not stop Blinking, with a key inserted, that key is not programmed to the car.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
There is actually a good reason to do that, if your charger uses a voltage or current sensor to program the charge, then having other stuff hanging off the terminals affects the process. And if your charger does not have a sensor, you are probably going to overcharge the battery and ruin it, so get one that does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is actually a good reason to do that, if your charger uses a voltage or current sensor to program the charge, then having other stuff hanging off the terminals affects the process. And if your charger does not have a sensor, you are probably going to overcharge the battery and ruin it, so get one that does.
Man you're a legend!!!! Love your videos!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am just running a 1amp charger with sensor. What's drawing power when the car is off? I guess radio presets and ECU?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts