MR2 SpyderChat banner

my custom shift counsol progress

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  runabout 
#1 ·
Hello friends, Im in the process of creating a custom counsol for my spyder. Sadly we had a flood here in Texas witch came to flooding about an inch of my interior carpeting so being i had to remove everything. I decided to come up with something fresh for my interior. Creating is no easy task, but i was able to accomplish a shape and tonight i laid down my first couple coats of plaster to give a rough shape. Tomorrow i will sand and repeat the process till ive came up with my desired shape before glassing. Here is a rough sketch and a progress picture =)

nice and clean now =)

my rough sketch, pleas excuse the window switch location, im still thinking of a solution for mounting and also the lighter insert.

now my progress..

as you can see it may look pretty bulky but it was needed so as it will give me more room to work with.

If you have any ideas you may like to share, feel free to add. I am still considering removing the cup holder section and replacing it with a small storage compartment along with an armrest. I was also considering going to another window switch selection but i am still researching at the moment.

See less See more
#3 ·
There counsol looks great. But I wanted something a little more creative than keeping the stock counsol with an add on section done to it. Also to be a bit different and show something new to the community. LP inspired me to accomplish this. I do custom enclosures so I decided to tackle this challenge=) also, where the shifter sits, its a bit higher and the overall stucture gives it a different feel than the stock counsol.

#8 · (Edited)
thanks guys for the positive feedback.. Ill be back on it later today after i get out of work. i would like to see the location for the window switches as shown in the sketch so ill see what i can work with. Now i have one question and two ideas id like to share. As for the question, where would be a good place youd like to see the lighter located at? ill draw a couple of location ideas and see what i can come up with.

As for idea #1:
Ive came up with the idea of creating an armrest as well. It will also be formed to the counsole "thanks for the correction lol" and padded. I plan to make a custom cup holder as well later in the future so thats not a main priority.

Idea #2:
I plan on working on a really nice sub enclosure without having to sacrifice some storage area but it will also integrate with the counsole. but unfortunately it may only work for HT owners but i will see if i can design it to work with convertible owners as well. I will post sketches later on of the ideas so i can get some feedback. thanks again and i will be updating shortly.

small update:

#9 ·
Suggestions for cigarette lighter . . . someplace easily accessable for powering cell phones, computers, etc. It would be nice if there was a place where it is both easily accessible and yet still out of the way so when in use it is not sticking out like a sore thumb. Don't know if that helps any, but there's my 2 cents worth for free. :lol:

#10 ·
The original sketch is a beauty. You mention you're using plaster before glassing... to create a mould, and not glassing over the plaster, I hope. Keep us posted! :)

#11 ·
Thanks guys :) well, I was intending on putting the lighter inside the storage bin under the arm rest. Might even put two just incase being we just need that extra one at times. As for the mould, Once I create my final shape, I am going to lay a thin layer of resin to keep the structure in place and smooth for when i make copies. I am also looking into the process of making a negative mould once I finish just like they do for hoods and other items.

#12 ·
Small Update: Well i got down to my first sanding session. I can really see more definition in the mold. Im going to do this process about 2 more times. As i get close to perfect, I will lay some resin to cure the mold before i begin to lay the fiber glass, it will correct any imperfections so there will less prep work. here is tonight's progress..

#14 ·
I'm so glad to see something that has "custom" in the title that doesn't look completely tasteless. Your console looks fantastic.

#15 ·
looking good...is it taller than the stock in the elbow area? I loved my '89 console height and the '93 is not bad...the '03 is just too low

#16 ·
Thanks guys for the positive feedback, well i laid my first set of glass.. The form looks very nice and it will give me some room to work on when sanding. Im going to reinforce the sides and above the where the E-brake is when pulled up because ive seen it crack in time with several spyders. As i will put a couple more layers in the inside as well so the quality will better.

As for the hight. Its a bit higher in millimeters. I will be making an armest with the storage compartment also with a latching mechanism, so yes it will be a bit higher than stock.

#19 ·
Im going to reinforce the sides and above the where the E-brake is when pulled up because ive seen it crack in time with several spyders.
..and I thought I was the only one:lol:

FYI... I hate working with fiberglass, never easy for me, so I can appreciate the level of craftsmanship

#17 ·
another update: well the glassing came out pretty well on top.. i got 3 layers on top so it wont be so thick and i can work my way for more definition on the sanding and minimal bondo. i will reinforce later under the counsole with more glass for added support. as for the sides, i decided to trim off the glass because it was starting to create too many bumps, being the foil didnt stick properly to the sides. i plan to use fleece being it will carry the same thinkness and can be applied alot more easier like i do on my sub enclosures. then, i will also put support layers inside as well. i will soon update tomorrow. here is a picture teaser for now =)

#20 ·
The final touch and what will set this console off making it better than all the rest and one of only two that I'm aware of would be to cover it with a coat of bed liner, LMAO.

In the end I like what you have done and should turn out nice. Good luck

#23 ·
Thanks guys for the positives guys. The hight of the console is higher than stock. It does give you that deep sit in the cockpit. "Adds a bit more aggressive feel inside" The armrest section will sit about a half inch to an inch higher because of padding. The weekend has been busy so I wasn't able to continue until tonight. The sides were laid down as finally its one whole complete piece. I'll wait till the morning to disassemble the original piece and start generating the thickness and support in the inside.
I am still debating on the surface look at the moment. I dont know if I should just do a gloss black, carbon fiber, or maybe a two tone carbon top with gloss black sides. I would like it to match the top section of the cubby where ill be making a gauge pod or for a monitor as we have seen in the MRS. Im pretty excited to see the outcome.

#26 ·
Thanks guys =) as for todays update, Its just more sanding and sanding. I'm trying to take away the "bulkiness" off the sides. I would like for this piece to come out smooth and clean. I test fitted the console last night and it was dead on fitment. Gives the inside a whole new feel. stay tuned for pictures soon =D

*As for the gauge holes? well im going to be making a NAVPOD for my carputer i plan on installing in the near future.

*next objective is to be looking for a new double din headunit thats not too costly but yet worth the penny. once i find this i can continue the second section for the counsole.

#27 ·
Hello guys, sorry for the late update. Ive been busy these past several days. Well, I was able to complete the sanding. Now im laying down the filler and sanding smooth. Cant wait to have this completed. Next update should be near finished =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.