MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 syder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I have loved the Mr2 since it first came out. Many of my friends had the first gen and what a fun ride. I Was out showing some properties a few weekends ago when I found this low mileage gem up under a tree with a forsale sign on the window on some old back road. It has been owned by an older gent in his70s. And was his prize possession. The car is in overall excellent condition. Even has the dual remus system on it which sounds so sweet by the way. I have always loved quirky cars, my other is a saab 93 viggen. Anyway I look forward to reading up on the forum and maybe meeting up with some locals. Thanks.
20210611_110936.jpg
20210611_111020.jpg
20210601_150727.jpg

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
324 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you Spyder. It looks to be in nice condition and even has 03+ taillights. I love the dual exhaust tips too :) Welcome to Spyderchat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great find! I've found with these cars you can almost disregard what the listing says and you really size up the seller to see how they've taken care of the care through the years. Really clean overall, and I'm sure he feels good knowing it went to a nice home.

Like @BGB-TOY said, you got the updated taillights and exhaust! Also that TRD rear plate frame is pretty sweet too, that older gentleman knew what he was doing!

·
Registered
2001 syder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I didn't know about the taillights. It also looks to have a greddy short shift kit, if that's a thing and an injen intake. Its got 42k on it, I've installed new tires, changed the oil cleaned top drains and am getting ready to do a brake fluid flush. Anything else you guys recommend?
20210611_115415.jpg

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
190 Posts
Welcome to Spyderchat!

If you are feeling 20 years late to the party, here is an unofficial little starter kit I have been putting together:

----------------------------------------------------
Some fun history and facts:
It all started with Spyder Magazine. Still some great articles there for DiY to this day.

Here is a neat 2007 Top Speed Article featuring the design philosophies, specs, and features of the vehicle.

Buyers Guides:
Don't miss Oldman's Buyer's guide in the Library.
Another good Compendium

Parts:
See attached Parts List pdf. Always a great place to start, and I typically buy from these main Toyota OEM direct/wholesalers.

Toyota Direct
Conicelli
Toyota Parts Overstock
Toyota Parts Deal
EB Toyota Parts

Maint:
Welcome to the Toyota ZZ family! Generally great little engines. Watch for oil consumption when driven at consistently high RPMs. This is noted in the owners manual.

Power steering system; Toyota doesn't make the fluid recommended anymore. Really smart people at SpyderChat did the oil analysis to determine the best substitute here. I went with the Nissan E-PSF. The reservoir is under the frunk plastic and often neglected.

Don't Forget:
Replace Air Filter, Clean your MAF, Reset your ECU, as it increases HP!

Other Notes:
Toyota added the front spoiler (below) sometime in 2001 as a OEM aero fix to help keep the front more planted and lessen any "wandering" at highway speeds. (part# 76851-17070) It's widely recommended around SC.

Good luck and sweet car!

Attachments

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
2001 syder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to Spyderchat!

If you are feeling 20 years late to the party here is an unofficial little starter kit I have been putting together:

----------------------------------------------------
Some fun history and facts:
It all started with spyder magazine. Still some great articles there for DiY to this day.

Here is a neat 2007 Top Speed Article featuring the design philosophies, specs, and features of the vehicle.

Buyers Guides:
Good Compendium
Don't miss Oldman's Buyer's guide in the Library.

Parts:
See attached Parts List pdf. Always a great place to start, and I typically buy from these main Toyota OEM direct/wholesalers.

Toyota Direct
Conicelli
Toyota Parts Overstock
Toyota Parts Deal
EB Toyota Parts

Maint:
Welcome to the Toyota ZZ family! Generally great little engines. Watch for oil consumption at consistent high RPMs. This is noted in the owners manual.

Power steering system; Toyota doesn't make the fluid recommended anymore. Really smart people at SpyderChat did the oil analysis to determine the best substitute here. I went with the Nissan E-PSF. This is under the frunk plastic and often neglected.

Don't Forget:
Replace Air Filter, Clean your MAF, Reset your ECU, as it increases HP!

Other Notes:
Toyota added the front spoiler sometime in 2001 as a OEM aero fix to help keep the front more planted and lessen any "wandering" at highway speeds. (part# 76851-17070)

It's widely recommended around SC.

Good Luck and sweet car!
Thanks so much for the info. I did already order the air dam. My main concern right now is the precat issue. Im kinda ocd so not sure if I should gut them or leave it. Again only 42k on the car.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I also have a Saab 9-3...total POS compared to the reliability of the Spyder but that's neither here nor there. Discounting the winter months I have never once reached for the keys to the Saab over the Spyder. The driving experience is just so fun in these little cars.

Good maintenance list ya got going, I would add gutting the precats to that list as well if you have the OEM header. The other fluids (power steering, coolant, trans) are worth doing due to time more so than mileage so you know where you're starting from.

My personal favorite upgrade (even more so than the engine/trans swap) was doing FL headlights & HID low beams. If you do a lot of driving at night it is well worth the investment.

·
Registered
2001 syder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went ahead and pulled exhaust manifold and yes there were signs of breakdown in one of the precats so glad I did it. Just waiting on gaskets to put everything back together.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I also have a Saab 9-3...total POS compared to the reliability of the Spyder but that's neither here nor there. Discounting the winter months I have never once reached for the keys to the Saab over the Spyder. The driving experience is just so fun in these little cars.

Good maintenance list ya got going, I would add gutting the precats to that list as well if you have the OEM header. The other fluids (power steering, coolant, trans) are worth doing due to time more so than mileage so you know where you're starting from.

My personal favorite upgrade (even more so than the engine/trans swap) was doing FL headlights & HID low beams. If you do a lot of driving at night it is well worth the investment.
Weird alert: Toyota MR2/S and Saab owners?

I have 2 9-7x's....well one as I just sold the 4.2 and still have the 5.3...5 years of searching and cannot find the right "Areo".

Hello Saabbug and welcome to SpyderChat.

Great move on gutting pre-cats. They were at least partially responsible for my 2001 1zz-fe not making it past 59k miles. Now running rebuild 2zz/c60 and loving it!

PS: Best plate for a 9-7x, SAABLZR, paying tribute to its GMT-360 roots (Trailblazer, and other), but still tuned by Saab.

Mr. P

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
190 Posts

My spydie senses are tingling...

I'm at 59k and have been procrastinating this service outside the O2 sensor "tip of the ice berg" inspection when I bought it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
View attachment 82933
My spydie senses are tingling...

I'm at 59k and have been procrastinating this service outside the O2 sensor "tip of the ice berg" inspection when I bought it.
Hello Gunship Runabout,

HIGHLY recommend you listen to your spydie senses. I purchased from a Toyota dealer in a snow storm and the B-$tards hid the problem. It was not until I trailered it home and drove less then ten miles for the MIL to illuminate. They knew what was wrong and I paid full asking price.....GRRRR!, but very happy now and had actually planed the 2zz swap from before purchase. Just did not expect from a Toyota dealer.

Protect your early production 1zz now buy gutting the pre-cats and monitor oil consumption. When I stopped driving (under 1000 miles of use, the 1zz was burning a quart of oil every 200-300 miles!) There was NO indication in the "smell" or color of the exhaust as the full catalytic system processed all the oil to clean exhaust!

Mr. P

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Weird alert: Toyota MR2/S and Saab owners?

I have 2 9-7x's....well one as I just sold the 4.2 and still have the 5.3...5 years of searching and cannot find the right "Areo".

Hello Saabbug and welcome to SpyderChat.

Great move on gutting pre-cats. They were at least partially responsible for my 2001 1zz-fe not making it past 59k miles. Now running rebuild 2zz/c60 and loving it!

PS: Best plate for a 9-7x, SAABLZR, paying tribute to its GMT-360 roots (Trailblazer, and other), but still tuned by Saab.

Mr. P
I've got an '04 9-3 Aero. It's incredibly comfortable, it's just that the drive experience is lacking & the electrical gremlins/module issues are endless. Personally I think a wagon would be the way to go if that's your poison. It's very hard (and unfair) to compare a "fauxury" sedan to the Spyder but the Spyder was my very first car & I really grew to love how precise & responsive the steering inputs are.

As far as @Gunship Runabout - FWIW I recommend getting rid of the precats because even inspection through the O2 hole is like inspecting an iceberg based on what is visible above the waterline. The only way to be truly safe is to gut em.

@Saabbug I'm glad you got to the problem before it got you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts