MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to "Steve G PW" who started this mod - so I decided to give this a try.
The first stop was eBay to get a mirror - There are a lot of them listed but I'm cheap and didn't want to pay retail ($168). Got the bit on a Gentex GNTX-453 auto dimming inside rearview mirror with Homelink for $55.
The wiring harness I also got from eBay for $33 - eBay Seller - ddave57

I got a lot of information off the site : http://www.wembleysells.com/mirrortech/GentexMitoMirrorDescription.html

Anyway I won't get into taking the OEM mirror off - that has already been discussed. After I took the mirror of here is what you get left on the windshield:

Looking at the mount on the mirror, it seems to be a direct fit. My mirror didn't have the mounting screw but the threads are 10-24 (Home Depot) - too long but can be cut shorter.

So time to run the wiring. I wanted to take off the interior trim panels but ran into a problem. The two bolts that secure the top latch to the windshield were Loctite to the max. One came out but the other stripped. Off with their head.

Leaving me with this

After trying to remove with Vicegrips and having NO luck time for this:

DON'T use very long - just enough to sofen the Loctite. Out with the ViceGrips again - Success.

Running the wiring is a no brainier wonce the trim is off. Under the dash I got power from the cig-lighter since it is only on when the key is on. Wired both Yellow & Red to the Pink/Blue wire. I didn't use the wiring clips that came with the wiring kit. I prefer a more un-plug route.

Went thru to programming - Existing door remote to mirror - then mirror to door.
Works great.

Thanks "Steve G PW" for the original mod.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nicely done!

I wish I would have shot pics of my install for everyone too. You rock!

TRUTH: I stripped out one of the latch bolt-heads too... so, I decided to leave them in place and simply pry the trim-piece out enough to run the wires over to the A-Pillar. Sorry... I should have mentioned it earlier. Toyota really wanted those latches to stay put, yes???!

Glad you got the harness sorted out! Great pics. Cool mod! I still love mine too!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This mod works so well I am looking to do it to my F150, my sister Corolla, and a friends Mazda M3 (birthday present). Everyone who does this will love it.

One of the great things is I don't have to carry a remote to my sisters garage door - the mirror will do 3 different remotes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You have to sacrifice remotes for this? I always thought there was a universal remote in the mirror.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You have to sacrifice remotes for this? I always thought there was a universal remote in the mirror.
No... You don't have to sacrifice anything other than some time, sweat, and dollars. The mirrors have three teachable remotes inside. You use your remote to teach the mirror then you go put your remote(s) away wherever you like (not in the car anymore).

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ummm... No... You don't have to sacrifice anything other than some time, sweat, and dollars. The mirrors have three teachable remotes inside. You use your remote to teach the mirror then you go put your remote(s) away wherever you like (not in the car anymore).
It was the "Existing door remote" part that made me think you needed an existing door remote.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It was the "Existing door remote" part that made me think you needed an existing door remote.
Ah, yes... It would probably be better said, "Original door remote" instead.

You use your ORIGINAL remote to teach ONE of the three BUILT IN MIRROR remotes. You can find the Gentex instructions online... I believe on Wembleysells too (the site mentioned above).

But, sigh or relief... NO REMOTE SACRIFICES.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After using the mirror for a while I only wish it would dim the lights a little bit more. Not a problem but with today's brighter headlights the out-of -adjustment HIDs can be a little too bright.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Gonna give this a try shortly, picked up an autodimming w/Homelink mirror off eBay.
However, my Spyder is a driveway dweller, and giving garage door access to anyone with a knife does not appeal to me. So I will attempt to wire it in with only switched +12v power (no constant 12v). Here's to hoping the Homelink has flash memory (it does).

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Interesting... it seems the spyder has several different windshield mounts. Mine (2002) had/has a camlock mount -- not at all like what is pictured in the first post of this thread.
So I had to purchase a camlock adapter mount from wembleysells.com. Rather heavy cast piece, left me puzzled until I stumbled on the installation instructions: http://www.wembleysells.com/images/foreignbracket/camlockInstallIllustration.jpg

It's also a little fragile (very soft). Very easy to strip the threads. I ended up re-tapping one of the holes for a M5 machine screw, and dremeling down the cast piece for clearance.

BTW, if you have a camlock mount, the way to remove your mirror is to turn the base 90 degrees sideways and pull gently down. Trivially easy once you know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting... it seems the spyder has several different windshield mounts. Mine (2002) had/has a camlock mount -- not at all like what is pictured in the first post of this thread.
So I had to purchase a camlock adapter mount from wembleysells.com. Rather heavy cast piece, left me puzzled until I stumbled on the installation instructions: http://www.wembleysells.com/images/foreignbracket/camlockInstallIllustration.jpg

It's also a little fragile (very soft). Very easy to strip the threads. I ended up re-tapping one of the holes for a M5 machine screw, and dremeling down the cast piece for clearance.

BTW, if you have a camlock mount, the way to remove your mirror is to turn the base 90 degrees sideways and pull gently down. Trivially easy once you know.
I think I posted in a different thread on this mod but I ended up having to re-tap a couple screws as well.

2 or 3 weeks later, whole thing just falls off. The adhesive failed. Tried the do it yourself kit from auto parts store with some type of epoxy but it didn't hold (although I waited an hour for it to set according to instructions, should have let it set/cure overnight). Anyways, I'm trying to find a glass shop who knows exactly what epoxy I need to be using, but all hwo have gone this route, beware! It never falls off the windshield at a convenient time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.