MR2 SpyderChat banner

281 - 300 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Op, I just finished reading this entire thread and I must say you are a talented & patient man. Very nice custom work! Can't wait to see it done with the wheel/tire arrangement you choose.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
It’s been awhile since last update...
I've been super duper busy working on the house. New floors, kitchen and small bath remodels... my lil project is under a tarp collecting dust. I'll get back at it in a few weeks or so.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Well,....The house projects are winding down with only the backyard to complete and honestly I may contract that out. I've also been busy working on other fiberglass projects unrelated to my car. More Datsun parts, consoles and an airdam

Now that I'm back at it. Albeit slowly and with a few new ideas that are actually old or original ideas... Im hoping to have this thing wrapped up by mid summer.... Not the molds just the car or plug at this point.

So, believe it or not... I don't like the area between the fenders and the door, It looks unfinished and angular/sharp for the rest of the car if that makes sense. So as most of you know I typically find inspiration in other cars: in this case it was the Vette and the dodge.

SO... I like the angles in this door, it flows and looks... well, finished and modern. The fender flows into the door and the door is smooth and modern.

So... Im thinking about either this design:

Or this design: I prefer this design but I wouldn't use the original L.P. parts. But I like that the new angle matches the lower rocker vent area. Keep in mind that you're clearly gonna have to use your imagination with both of these ideas but if you tilt your head and squint it all comes into focus. Clearly I have a ton of work to do but Im getting closer.

This where I left off a bit ago. I think the gap (bottom of the door skin to the top of the lower rocker is to big and throws the proportions of the car out of whack.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I love reading this thread and am always excited when I see you have posted something new. Your skills and attitude are amazing! You asked for thoughts, so here's mine: One of the things that I am not a fan of in most of the wide-er bodied cars I've seen is the huge angular open space in the doors. My personal taste is for smooth panels that flow from the front fender to the rear fender. Perhaps there is no way sculpt it that way due to the geometry of a working wider door built onto the original car's door.

. . . just my two cents worth.

No matter what, I'm still a huge fan and I hope to some day meet you and see your car in person. I think we are only about an hour and a half away from each other.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
I love reading this thread and am always excited when I see you have posted something new. Your skills and attitude are amazing! You asked for thoughts, so here's mine: One of the things that I am not a fan of in most of the wide-er bodied cars I've seen is the huge angular open space in the doors. My personal taste is for smooth panels that flow from the front fender to the rear fender. Perhaps there is no way sculpt it that way due to the geometry of a working wider door built onto the original car's door.

. . . just my two cents worth.

No matter what, I'm still a huge fan and I hope to some day meet you and see your car in person. I think we are only about an hour and a half away from each other.
Yep, were pretty close, if you ever get the notion for a Sunday drive you can find me hard at work in the garage.

I'm definitely looking to create something more modern looking, especially now that Ive changed the front end to the 2015 Cayman. The rest of the body has to step up its proverbial game. I'll post more pics after the weekend once I beat it into shape.

BTW Thanks Uncle Mush

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,812 Posts
I love checking in on this thread. It has been very educational and has taught me that I have neither the acquired skills nor the patience to ever attempt a project like this. I am in awe of the high level of both those attributes that you have displayed here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
I love checking in on this thread. It has been very educational and has taught me that I have neither the acquired skills nor the patience to ever attempt a project like this. I am in awe of the high level of both those attributes that you have displayed here.
Thank you Sir. Most days its insanity =/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Now this is a bad a$$ car! Fit and fitment look flawless.. I guess when you go to a professional you get these types of results. My first impression of the blue was utter bliss, but the more I look at it I think I would have probably gone with something a bit understated. But that's just a color choice.... at the end of the day its Smokin Hawt! (Oh btw it belongs to an Facebook friend of mine)

Updated LED tail lights

Awesome Color

Fitment Looks awesome

Before Paint.. still looks damn good

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's the avalanche I think? It's made by turismo... There was one of the guys ones at the MR2 day yesterday...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
So I came up with what design and I'm well on my way to executing it. If you follow the thread you know that symmetry is important to me, so while all of this might seem like a lot of work the end result is both sides match.

So the first thing I did was create a base to work from by taking mold of the door. I laid down a bunch painters tape and waxed it with mold release wax, laid out a basic pattern to follow and then laid 2 layer of 1.5 oz mat.

After that cured I drilled a few holes so it goes back on the car exactly where it was, then it got removed and trimmed it.

And then I figured out a cracker jack load of angles on the door and cut a cracker jack load of wood blocks and pulled out my trust hot glue gun. And also cut all the wood strips for both passenger and driver doors (so they match perfectly)

and started gluing it all together

X's and O's were different angles, there was also an Y's

It starts to come together like this:

I did something similar to the underside of the door as well - different angles but similar:

And all that glue (I couldn't believe how many glue sticks I used) and all those blocks brought me to this:

Make note that while designing/building this mod, I allowed for an 8th of an in set back on every angle which will allow for filler and finish work. Having said that, my first pass at the finish work brought me to this point.

I still have a ton of work to do, morph the fender to the door, morph the low rear door to the rear quarter and round all the edges to make it look like something descent. Lot of work to do but I'm pleased with the results. Oddly enough this contraption (albeit odd) is pretty darn strong! No flex at all... Im impressed with it to say the least.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Well, Ive been pretty busy with numerous other projects but I did find some time to dedicate to the "2". I re-modded the door again as I didn't like the "Drop" on the underside of the door. I show a before and after.

Before:

After:

I also kicked out the section where the door grill will be installed, it was flat or 90 degrees to the door and now its at 20 degrees. It kind of lends to the idea that air can move over or across it to feed the rear air intake. and it looks better.

I also modded the rear of the door. Before it kinda blended all together- made it kit car-ish. Now I think it lends to a more factory look.

Before:

After:

And here are a bunch of other build images. Note that the kit isn't bolted in place, its literally teetering on the jacks and held together with double sided tape and thats why a few of the gaps look off. At this point I don't want to drill or mar any of the surfaces for the molding process but wanted to update the thread for those following.. I'm done with the passenger side and now moving on to match the driver side... which will be a piece of cake now that I know what direction I'm going in. I still need to find suitable headlights, modify the front driver side bumper (the headlight sets 3/4 lower than the passenger side) modify the rear bumper and that's its!! I'm truly hoping to have this wrapped up before fall.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Got the rear driver quarter all wrapped up. Gonna start finish sanding and molding soon enough. Also working on completing the interior, at least one part of the build will be complete.

And a few interior shots

Its coming together slowly but surely!!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Well, I got the interior pretty much wrapped up tonight. Still have a few things I need to wrap up but nothing major. The seats still need upholstery but I'm gonna farm that out. Other than that things are moving ahead slowly but surely.

281 - 300 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
52 Participants
drjmetz
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing