MR2 SpyderChat banner

301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Thank you all for you words of support. It makes a huge difference knowing that there are other "2" lovers that support my efforts and cheering me on through the finish line.

When I'll get to the finish line is kind of up in the air. I'm working on matching the driver door and lower rocker to the passenger side and I'm about 50% complete.

Here is whats left:
Correct front bumper (driver side sets 1 inches lower than pass)
Find suitable headlights, make mounts and modify kit accordingly (preferably a factory headlamp)
Modify rear bumper (sets much higher off the ground than the rest of kit)
MAKE MOLDS!!!!!

I was hoping to have this all completed before the fall, there is still a possibility that I could meet that deadline but I'm not gonna beat myself up if I don't.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow. That interior is simply jaw-dropping. Quick Question - I love the rounded air vents at the top of the dash. Where did you find those (or did you make them yourself)?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
The Vents are factory Audi A3 I believe and the dash is all custom. I believe there is a write up somewhere in this thread. The rounded areas in the dash are actually PVC pipe.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Been busy putting the not so finishing touches on this beast! I've said it before and I'll say it again... this kit is TRASH!!!!!! nothing and I mean NOTHING on this kit is symmetrical. Check these pics out!!!!

Okay first things first, the doors are pretty much done and I'm prepping them for molding. Gonna be a long process but the finish line ... while still far away .... is closer =) I've got a couple layers of high build primer laid down, may do a third before cut and polish.

Passenger door, still needs finish work and a few coats of primer as well. Good news is the hard work is done!

Ok, get this: I had to give a diagram (if you will) so you could all grasp just how out of wack this POS is!
Basically the height of the lower corners is off! 1 and 1/8 inches ..... an 8th I could live with .... no big deal but holy smokes!!!!

The lower fender (where the front end mounts) yep .... thats off also! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I said this a while back in the thread but the headlight holes are completely OFF! wrong shape and they're way off dimension-ally ...see pics ''

FYI the hood is NOT closed .... and there is a reason why. With the front end mounted it throws the mount point under the hood WAY OFFFFFF..... like crazy off.

The plan is to cut, cut, cut and cut. Mount and morph everything into place once its correct.

Ill cut this out so the lower height is correct

Then Ill cut this out and morph it in when I start mounting the headlights

Just when I thought it was gonna get easier....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Ok, so the hits and misses just keep on coming!!!!!!

So, I thought I would have to make two separate cuts, one to the fender and one to the lower bumper.

But after a lot more measuring and a few jaw dropping moments. I've discovered that the lower cut (to the bumper cover wont need to happen.

So I measured and set up the front bumper cover so its symmetrical left to right - granted, its off an 16th here and there where the two surfaces meet (meaning the mount points between the fenders and front bumper cover) but I can live with that FOR SURE!!!!!!

Now! what was the proverbial cost for this to happen? well you better sit down.
Soooo like I said, after a lot more measuring (and head scratching) I noticed the height from the inner fender radius (wheel wells) was off....WAY OFF!!!! so off that I swore the concrete in the garage surely couldn't be level.... But it is.

The passenger side measures 25 1/4

And the driver...well .... thats a pinch under 24! Yep!!!! Two Four!!!!! I literally swore my coil-overs had to be way off... but then I realized I don't freaking have coil-overs!!!!!

So of course I measured the rear and thank my lucky stars they match at 25 on the button! WHEW!!!!!

So of course I got a pic

And because I tend to be a hoarder of sorts....well not really but I never throw away parts unless or until Im done with a project.... luckily I still have the Luxury Part front driver fender. So, I simply faced the passenger fender together with the Luxury fender and low and behold ... the radius matched perfectly! Oddly enough neither fender from either kit match one another but the two separate fenders (left and right) from two different manufactures Match? that's just odd!

So I cut it up a bit more than it was already cut up and .....well heres a pic.

Granted, its needs a little love but I'll massage it in and make it match for sure!

Bottom line, this kit is a POS!!!!!!! granted I'm a little irritated with it, but, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! ever! How is it possible that the freaking fender radius out of wack?!?!!? insane I tell you ...INSANE!!!!!!!!!

Ironically I see post from Luxury Part exclaiming that their kits have the best fit in the industry,.... LMFAO!!!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Update!!! Ok Sooo I finally finished the driver fender, granted its not perfect - its off by maybe an 8th or so nearest the door jam. Unfortunately its not worth me tearing it apart for an 8th of an inch so,... Im gonna live with it.

I got it unbolted and benched for a few coats of primer, there are a few additional flaws that popped up but nothing major,... all finish work at this point.

On to the front end, and yep that was another nightmare! not like a "I woke up sweating" nightmare, but a nightmare none the less.

Ok remember how the fender was out of whack? well that threw everything else out also.

I started with this

and cut this section out

I laid it in place and marked it for trimming

Trimming line

I still need to create a sub frame that attaches to the crash bar and support the new front bumper, similar to the rear.

All trimmed and tacked into place

But of course it wasn't that easy, I need to further modify the mount point/ radiator mount section - the writing is kind of small in the pics but basically I had to create another 1/2 inch channel to raise this section so it was level to the hood. Its very close but needs a bit of filler to make it perfect. Hell its fiberglass, you can expect that even on a near perfect kit.... if such a thing exist.

And once I removed the screws gave it quick sand. It didn't come out to bad at all. Like I said, it needs a bit of filler and sanding but Im very pleased with the finish results.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Next on the agenda are the headlights, first I have to find suitable candidate. I've been looking at the Nissan 350Z or the Infinity G37. Price point on the 350Z is about $400 for a set and $700 to $1250 per set for the G37. I'm open to other AFFORDABLE options if anyone has a suggestion. G37 isn't exactly affordable, esp if this is gonna be a kit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just my 2 cents. As you mentioned, because this is part of a kit, you need to find a compromise between price, availability and style. So you need an older Japanese car produced in high quantity where the headlights are still readily available and relatively cheap. Also, ones that meet the relative shape and size of your fender cutouts so they need the least amount of modifications. So, my recommendations are: #1, the 2000 Celica, #2, the 2009 Eclipse and #3 the 2000 Eclipse. Sure. they are better looking ones out there, but you need to remember "the compromise".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Next on the agenda are the headlights, first I have to find suitable candidate. I've been looking at the Nissan 350Z or the Infinity G37. Price point on the 350Z is about $400 for a set and $700 to $1250 per set for the G37. I'm open to other AFFORDABLE options if anyone has a suggestion. G37 isn't exactly affordable, esp if this is gonna be a kit.

Doesn't this kit come with headlights?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Nuyork,

Yes the kit does come with headlights, but, they arent anything that you want to use. Basically each headlight is mounted into a fixed position within a fiberglass surround or headlight bucket. However, none of the mounts are equal or level to one anther. So once you mount them all the beam of light are traveling in different direction. ie: None of them are pointed down the road, one is up toward the tree tops another is toward the ground and the remaining two have a mind of their own pointed left right and somewhere over there. I guess if you never drive the car at dusk or night time... who cares. Quite honestly its just a matter of principal for me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Mr Sponz,

My first idea was to use the Celica headlights but the housing length proved to be a bit of a problem. The upper mount found a way to interfere with the fender mount ... and I thought they were a bit long for the hood. They looked stretched if that makes sense. The Eclipse headlights you mentioned don't fit the style of the car at all, in fact I think those two choices would date the look of an already 15+ year old car. However, after a bit more research I think I've decided on a winner for the application. Drum Roll please.... The 350z headlamp seem to fit the look of the car the best, the overall dimension are similar enough that I won't have to completely mod the fender and they're affordable at $400 bucks. In comparison the taillights are in the $375 range.

I'll of course keep you all posted and thank you for your support and feedback =)

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Spyder uses pretty awful optics. Not worth buying.

Celica lights are nice but they have to be mounted in the OEM position which IMO doesn't suit the Spyder, especially your body kit. The Techno Pro Spirits MR-S does not have functionally mounted headlights.

I gots no suggestions for ya, just good luck!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
I agree, the "Spyder" lights are pretty cheap. I purchased a set of their Celica lights (way back when I was going that direction with the build) Overall I think the lights are a step up (if not two) from whats offered with the kit and a viable alternative but there are better options. There is a company out there called "DEPO" and apparently this manufacture is what the insurance companies use as an alternative to OE if and when OE is not available. I need to do more research on the brand before pulling the trigger, but at this point I'm thinking they would be ready and available as needed.

301 - 320 of 328 Posts