MR2 SpyderChat banner

341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Well since I'm gonna be home for the next few weeks, gonna spend my time being productive.

So I started my new mirror, more pics to come once complete. But I did dig out the original LP mirrors, they didnt come with the motors or glass so I had to mount the factory motors...lots of work for something Im not gonna use. The point being I dug them out and they're HUGE!! like really really wide...and tall! But a lot of what he builds is.... excessive. Not knocking it, just making note that these suckers are BIG and TALL!

These are the Audi Mirrors with my mounts, much smaller but still a bit to large for the car - In my opinion

These are the new mirrors, I think they're a better fit overall. Size and dimension compliment the overall design of the car. Any guesses as to what car they came from? Im sure you'll get it with just a few guesses.

I set my mount from the Audi mirror in the background as the new mount will be pretty similar in design - although modified in execution.

The first mirror is clearly the behemoth of the three, the Audi mirror, while nice, is a bit bulbous and no longer to my liking. The last one is a bit more streamlined/stealthy and just works better.

I'll post pics once I finish the final design and try to get them all from the same angle. That way you can decided for yourselves what you think looks best.

I also popped the door off, came off pretty easy as I laid down painters tape to keep things from sticking to the door skin. There are a couple of voids I need to fill but thats an easy fix.

Lots of work to do but I'll get er done! =)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Since I'm sheltering in place I'm pretty busy with my lil project. As promised I have the new mirrors done and mounted ... at least temporarily anyway.

Ok just as a refresher here are a few pics of the old mirrors, yes they are nice and they would certainly work for any build...even mine. But I found something that just tickled my fancy a bit more and went with it.

The mounts

and the mirrors

and the new mounts, I got these done in like 4 hours!

The new mount is about 3/4 to an inch longer, it seems/looks longer but its not.

And now the mirrors

I think the new mirrors up the wow factor and gives it a more modern look. My inspiration came from the new Ford GT Supercar.

Im curious about your thoughts and opinions

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
OK....Driver door update! Got er done.

So while creating the mold I of course used all my small wood blocks and glue gun, I love my glue gun! I also needed to stiffen the mold, so instead of wasting totally good and expensive bondo, I decided to fill the voids with plaster of paris. The results were a mixed bag as I achieved the results I was looking for but I also couldn't move the piece/plug because the plaster was pretty brittle.

Created the walls for the mold, used binder clips, wood and some 1/8th plexi glass with 4 coats of PVA. Note: flipping the plug/part was challenging, needed to get my girl involved and still it was challenging because of its weight.

And popping the part out, I got a little bit of aligatoring in a few spots but thats expected to some degree. I'll add a smidgen more hardener to work that out in the future. Im sure the mold wasn't contaminated.

https://i.imgur.com/4SAZpdHh.jpg[/img

I've got everything mounted the same as the passenger door. Bolted the inner skin to the door and fit the exterior door in place. Its not bonded yet - I ran out of glue.

Im also toying around with the idea of creating a similar looking lower air scoop/ intake similar to LP's. No surprise that theirs is a bit bulky so I'd downsize and create a new one to my liking. And......I'm pretty sure Im gonna modify the lower rockers as well, nothing major, just gonna round out some of the hard corners.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/IK6WnEmh.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Been busy with the doors and finally have them complete. I'm hoping to have them permanently mounted by mid next week. The passenger door is mounted and in good shape but you never know what you may encounter.

So, I cut and created the door/fender area screens/vents... I could make them functional but that may create more problems than its worth. I also created some depth to the screen area, that way it doesnt look like a piece of screen/grill just stuck behind the fiberglass. That would scream cheap fiberglass kit.

I also installed 3 studs in the screen lip, that way I can screw down the screens once paint is complete. Ideally I'd love clean paint lines so everything looks like a separate unit and ultimately serviceable if needed.

Im probably not gonna use these screens, they were the LP screens and not the best quality..but they make for a great photo op

I added a bit of primer for contrast

I also permanently mounted the studs for the mirrors, they're aluminum and cut at a 12 and 15 degree angle at the surface mounting point to accommodate the slope/angle of the fiberglass.

Gettin er done!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Well, its been a minute but I've been busy as usual with construction projects around the house. I did however find some time to get one of the rear quarter panels done. Im pleased as punch with the results and hope to produce many parts from the mold. I still have to seal and polish but its getting there.
100532602_10222132042266688_9204424144383377408_n.jpg
100542381_10222132041786676_1426236442887061504_n.jpg
100542381_10222132041786676_1426236442887061504_n.jpg
100532602_10222132042266688_9204424144383377408_n.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Got the part layed up and popped from the mold. Things are moving along very nicely, a bit slow but nicely.

The dark/black parts are the mounting points. I used 2 layers of carbon fiber for reinforcement and Ill probably use an addition metal plate (or at least a large washer) for additional surface coverage.

101215143_10222163584415222_7391566135763664896_n.jpg
101500528_10222163584655228_4405794696530493440_n.jpg
100051384_10222163585335245_7305381522410831872_n.jpg
101349644_10222163584975236_3348860677287575552_n.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remember when I said I was gonna share all the frustrating, fun, happy, excited, sad... yada yada yada parts of building this kit? okay, well here is a frustrating rant; This kit is a piece of shit!!!! I figure out why there is such a huge gap between the hood and fenders.... the fender mount flange under the hood should set at a 90 degree angle ... like the letter "L" but instead what I have is a letter "V" hence a big ass gap between the two parts. I new there would be a fare amount of work installing the kit... its fiberglass and that's the nature of the beast... however had I known it was gonna be this much work I would have passed on the project. UGHHHH

I would love love love to see one of these kits in person just to see how much additional bondo is used on the finished product.. oh and the lights! I would love to see some of the headlight installs.

On a better note ...since Im gonna rebuild the whole Effing kit anyway! I found a few side skirts that catch my fancy ... your thoughts

Like this one a lot

My friend I LOVE YOU!! And I LOVE SPYDERCHAT. You and this board just saved me approximately $10k or more and a ton of regret. Allow me to say this you are a bad ass with some serious skills when it comes to this kind of a project, definitly impressive to say the least. I just like you absolutely love how this kit looks (IN PHOTO SHOOT PICTURES). There are serveral people in the UK and Singapore still selling a similar kit I was going to purchase. I have had some experience with wide body kits but have noware near the skill/paitients and determination you do for this sort of thing. I would have gotten hung up on the fact that after spending so much money on the kit this much work should not be needed. You dealt with it incredibly well,
Did you ever at some point think about sueing the manufacturer of the kit?
But back to being familiar with wide body kits, I’m new to joining spyderchat but I have noticed my car I owned several years ago is mentioned on here. I live in Houston Texas and had a Black Veilside body kit. I had the first year model of the Mr2 spyder and purchased it new as soon as it came out along with the release of the veilside body kit when it first came out. That kit to though it had some issues though it was no where near the amount of work this kit seems to entail to get it to look like something that came from the factory. And I mean at the end of the day isn’t that what you and I are looking for. (Some want kits that look over the top and obvious it’s not a factory kit or part, but the beauty of this kit is that it appeared in the photos as a vehicle you could walk into a showroom and purchase. Before seeing this I was considering taking on a mr2 wide body project again. I love the car and now I just purchased my second one this year because I missed the car so much. After seeing your posts and videos and having my own past frustations with wide body kits I now realize how well the veilside kit was done actually, as far as body kits go. You were able to use the spyder factory head lights and tail lights. The kit wasn’t as long or wide so the hood latch didn’t need to be relocated and for the most part most of the body panels all attached to factory mounting points with a few provided aluminum braces to support the kit in additional places. Also the exhaust was designed well and you could easily add or remove the catalytic converter, they even sold an exhaust that was made for the specific kit at a reasonable price. I believe you can still find pictures of it on Line. Additionally the design of the exhaust didn’t compromise the rear bar, no modification needed as it it went under the “crash bar”. Shipping was actually what I found at the time to be the most outrageous expense.
Anyways you have some very impressive skills - liam neeson type of skills with out a doubt. And your side mirrors turned out awesome. When you purchased this kit did they not have the carrerrra gt style mirrors available ? Just a question because it would have been easier is all but yours look awesome and yours are unique and I love the fact you used a manufacturers part for the side mirrors.
There is just no comparison in build quality.
Anyways keep up the great work and let me know if you would do a project like this again.
and drop me a line if you’d like to share “body kit war stories”.
For now I’m sticking to performance only currently I’m engine swapping my mr2 spyder with a stroked k24 engine that is Twin charged, whipped supercharger and a garret twin scroll turbo with direct port nitrous to top it all off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My New year resolution is to finish this damn car, its only been a year and four months since I started the project.:miserable:

Holy thread revival! No I'm kidding, its been a minute and I've made some changes to the kit... with more to come.

Ok, so the more I look/looked at the kit the less Impressed I am/was. In a nutshell, its to busy. To many angles and pointless grills, air ducts that go nowhere... its almost kinda Batmobile-ish or bosozoku-ish and something that a much younger person would be driving with no muffler and a loud ass stereo. I'm much more impressed with the simplicity (yet badass nish ish) of this picture/kit/car. Does anyone know what car this is BTW?

The above mentioned car is simple yet badsass, clean lines, (Minus the fender canards) its timeless in my opinion. So having said that I'm in the process of cleaning up all the lines on the kit and copying the above mentioned side skirts and clean lines of the front fenders as they attach to the lower rocker. I'm hoping for that clean timeless look.

I cut off the lower door for a cleaner look

Before:

After:

And then I hacked the quarter panel air intakes up and and brought them in line with the door.

I boxed in in with some fiberglass sheets and bonded the edges together

Backside: I plan to finish it up with a couple of layers of 1.5 oz mat to stiffen things up a bit.

And this is the rough in look, needs more sanding and finishing but its an improvement in my opinion.

I still have to bond a piece of fiberglass to this area and finish it

That LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER !!! That line is now perfect. You have a great eye for these things. Any chance you want to build a second kit like this and be paid for your work 😉

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is the "YATT" car conversion (no longer being produced), I like the clean lines. Although the side skirts need a mod or two and I'm on the fence with the tail

Finish, make molds, sell kits, profit.

Keep up the good work.
I agree and I’d be one of the first to make that purchase if you produce a kit and dedicated them to quality like you do and your taste in styling is awesome.
I’m sold

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got the part layed up and popped from the mold. Things are moving along very nicely, a bit slow but nicely.

The dark/black parts are the mounting points. I used 2 layers of carbon fiber for reinforcement and Ill probably use an addition metal plate (or at least a large washer) for additional surface coverage.

View attachment 76660 View attachment 76660 View attachment 76661 View attachment 76661 View attachment 76662 View attachment 76662 View attachment 76663 View attachment 76663
that all looks pretty good.
personally i'd have gone with carbon for most of the part and then fiberglass reinforcing the mounting points (or just thicker fiberglass for the mounting points)

Not csm tho, i'd be using woven FG.

Reason being is that carbon is so much stiffer than fiberglass that when the carbon fails, it will crack at a deflection that is less than that of Fiberglass's failure point. Basically, Fiberglass makes a great reinforcement for carbon since it adds additional strength/stiffness to support carbon, but not vice versa.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts