MR2 SpyderChat banner

381 - 400 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Here are the specifics in terms of difference in height. This is the inner fender well, showing the original LP bumper and the new Unknown bumper overlay. The 8 inches is how far the original bumper set off the ground. Its now 5.5 inches from the ground.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Yes, everything on the car is gonna need a ton of finish work but its heading in the right direction.... having said that and since Im working on the rear end... I have many different ideas. A center vent for starters, similar to this Ferrari

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glued it in place and clamped it overnight and added some studs for the screening material. View attachment 76956 View attachment 76957 View attachment 76954 View attachment 76955
This looks awesome, great job! Amazing attention to detail. Truly exceptional work on the vents. This is the level of quality I believe most expect when purchasing a higher end /priced body kit. Sadly I’ve never seen any kit from a manufacturer come close to anything like this level of detail. Usually if the kit has grill mesh installed already from the manufacturer its sloppily thrown together as if it were an after thought with some form of adhesive only (see image) or something that closely resembles a construction staple or chicken wire. Some kits that don’t come with the mesh installed so you can paint the vehicle with out spraying the mesh I suppose, don’t come with a means to easily and quickly attache or remove the vent mesh. I really appreciate the threaded posts.
Anyways that’s Absolutely awesome work man!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Well, finally got the rear end buttoned up. The new grill/vent is factory MR2 although it sets a bit deeper, maybe 3/8ths or so. The yellow car is what it looked like before and of course my post facelift update.There is a ton of finish work to do but thats the nature of this project... or so it seems. Overall...I like it a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks great! While it looks like you might already have a hardtop, are you considering making a custom hardtop mold to flow with this kit?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Looks great! While it looks like you might already have a hardtop, are you considering making a custom hardtop mold to flow with this kit?
Hmmm, no I don't have a hard top. Id like to have one someday but I have no plans on making or modifying any hard top. I'm overworked now.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
So, Ive been super busy making molds for completely unrelated projects so the progress has been slow for the 2. I did however manage to get about 90% completion of the lower rocker molds. There a 4 piece design so there has been lots of down time waiting for things to dry/cure before moving to the next step. I should have them complete tomorrow with any luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
I left off here tonight, just have to fill in corners with some filler and lay the glass then theyre all done. I'll set em aside for a few days and get ready to make a few parts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Well, the molds are done. I did have a few spots of "Aligatoring" but its not a big deal. I'll do some repair on those spots, seal and wax them and they'll be good to go. I still have to clean the release agent and wax them but... here they are, fresh off the plug.

And here they are all cleaned up and ready for a few coats of wax. The decklid molds are in the backgrounds as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Got the parts layed up as well. I trimmed them in the molds as I was pretty confident they would release despite them being virgin molds. I guess Im on a lucky streak because the popped out like popcorn. Whoaaaa yes!

Parts laid in the molds waiting to be born:

I did have some aligatoring in a few areas where the roller and brush couldnt reach, no big deal though. Im over the moon with the way the parts turned out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
I was a little concerned with the weight, but I figured I should lay them up with 3 layers of 1.5 oz mat and a little thicker on the resin. However much to my surprise they came out on the lighter side.. thank my lucky stars. Not to shabby for an almost 6ft piece, the rear is 12 inches and the front it 9 inches... Im good with that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Now Im at the stage of reinforcement, I figure that if any part of the car is gonna get beat up its the lower rockers. So I made provisions for the lower rocker to mount to the rear quarter. I used those bolts I mentioned in another post and bonded them in place with some marine adhesive (marine adhesive flexes - figured if any flexing is going on...yep, its happening down here.

This section will mount to the factory threaded holes in the rocker so I figured I should reinforce that area as well - oh BTW I used 1/8th aluminium for weight savings.

Then I reinforced the threshold area of the rocker, this area will also be bolted to the car and the front fender also bolts to the lower rocker. It needs to be pretty solid as Im sure someone will eventually stand on it and I don't want the worry of the part failing or cracking. I havent glued it up yet but its a piece of 1/8 "L" bracket. I will give me a super straight edge and tons of strength.

Front fender bolts here -ish

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Well, I got the headlights mounted, aligned and all lit up. The beams only need a small tweak but they're perfect!

It took a while but I managed to get them morphed in with mixed results.

So, a while back in the thread I made note that the hood wouldn't allow for the "Frunk" liner to fit. It simply wouldn't close with the liner in place, as it turns out the Asian and European cars are right hand drive,...hence interference issues (and other stuff, but whatever)

So, having the liner and and spare tire cover were important to me, I like the idea of raising the hood and having it look finish or factory. So ..... I split the factory hood and I'm gonna use that as a foundation for the new hood.

I got it mounted in place and of course all the factory elements clear. The plan is to cut the bracing along the red lines and add addition that curves along the new headlights.

I can do one of two things for bracing. I can copy/fiberglass the factory hood and morph that headlight section in place or use the original LP hood bracing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Once all thats done (whew) and I pull a mold then I can start morphing the hood back in place. Speaking of hoods... I kinda like the way the Celica hood looks. Its just setting in place but I'm truly on the fence with which direction I'm gonna go. Opinions are welcome.

Of course if I change the hood, the front end would change as well. I'd have to morph in the front bumper section of the Celica and ultimately lose the existing vent/grill between the headlights.... either way Im not opposed.

At this point I'm in the home stretch....FINALLY! I still have tons of finish work and I have to pull more molds, but, the modifications are complete!!!!!! Ughhhhhhhh

381 - 400 of 442 Posts