MR2 SpyderChat banner

401 - 420 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I also like the Celica lights, but I thought you said you were going with the Nissan 350 lights? What changed your mind?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
I also like the Celica lights, but I thought you said you were going with the Nissan 350 lights? What changed your mind?
I do like the look of the 350Z lights better, but, once I tried fitting them they were WAY to big! I could have cut away a fare bit of sheet metal but then I found that I was getting into side fender mount. I also would have had to relocate the the washer fluid bottle and the front crash bar... it was basically getting out of control. Ideally my thoughts were - If I intend to make this a kit I'd want it to be user friendly, something someone with average skills could do in his or her garage. Cutting away sheet metal is getting your feet wet in the above average skill level ... but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
I actually really like the Celica hood as well, oddly enough and overwhelmingly most everyone else likes the original hood. I've decided to use the original hood but .... who knows, maybe I'll offer either or.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It's official. You've dedicated yourself to this build longer than I've been dedicated to any one woman in my entire life. I'm proud of you man.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am sorry if I am wrong, but I would think that any company selling cars parts to the USA (see mailing address) would remember that we have LHD cars and not RHD cars. I guess I expect too much.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
It's official. You've dedicated yourself to this build longer than I've been dedicated to any one woman in my entire life. I'm proud of you man.
I read your post to my girlfriend and her friends and they about fell out on the floor. Then asked me "who is that guy, does he have a pic" I'm like, hey this aint Facebook. You got a good laugh out of us but don't get me started on that four year itch.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
I am sorry if I am wrong, but I would think that any company selling cars parts to the USA (see mailing address) would remember that we have LHD cars and not RHD cars. I guess I expect too much.
Uhhh ya.... Ditto! Of course once I actually produce a kit, I won't and don't have a car to replicate a matching hood for the European market. Ya know.... My kit isn't perfect and I'm certainly not the best at my craft, but, I would never ship any of my parts back to those guys under any circumstances. That would be like slapping myself in the face.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Im in the home stretch with this kit and I gotta tell ya... its kickin my a$$! I've literally modified every single part of this freaking kit except the rear deck lid covers, everything else has been touched and retouched. Some parts have been through the process 3 or more than times and that more than I care to admit. I don't mind making parts, laying fiberglass and popping the parts is therapeutic and relaxing. Of course the pay off is pretty quick as well, you lay up a part, it cures and you pop it out... TAA DAA! But repairing someone else's screw up is.... lets just say it can take a lot out of you. After almost 4 years...I'm kinda done with that part of this build. I can't wait to have this freaking hood completed!!!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You have plans for power right? Based on your previous work, I feel like you have the means as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
You have plans for power right? Based on your previous work, I feel like you have the means as well.
Ya, but at this point its on the back burner. I've got plans for a turbo 1ZZ, although I'm not lookin for crazy horsepower its gonna be a pretty involved build.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
This is some of the best work on some of the worst parts I've ever seen. It's fun watching and getting to appreciate someone's excellent skills.
Thanks Codename, its a labor or love ... but lately it seems I've fallen out of love. I still love the car but, Im over the build process.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Rayven14 I understand completely. Take a break and ignore it for a bit. You work is equal to or better than pretty much any pro job I've ever seen. You're almost there. Best to take a (short) mental break and recharge for a bit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Well, I've decided to dump the project. Im kidding! there is no way on earth I'd ever do that... I mean maybe once its all done and Ive had my fun, but that wont be for a while. Hell I didn't have that much seat time since the purchase of the car and the start of this project.

Anyway, got a small update. I abandoned the fabricating end of things and decided to start doing finish work for the painter. I think things are looking good, but I still have a long way to go. I love the body lines ans think they're coming out perfect.

I think the car needs this lower duct, I think it compliments the lower rocker design. Yes it will also be functional.. just add a NACA duct inside the lower rocker and done. I need to redesign the exist LP stuff, I think its to big and oddly shaped... but that's gonna involve my fabbing skills which are on vacay...soon though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
I'm chippin away at her slowly but surely. I made a few minor changes by rounding out some corners and edges, nothing major, but I think these small changes make it look more modern.

Before and after:

And then of course the finished product... almost.

I'm at the point where I can pull it off the car, make a mount on the table, do all the finish work and final sand, seal, wax and spray mold release for the mold.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Oh Shweet.... just figured out how to post a video... that'll make things easier to explain... just point and talk YAAAAAAA!!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wasn't sure how I felt about the body line along the side vents coming to such a sharp angle with how curvy the car is, but your fabrication skills are quite impressive. I can't wait to see those lines when everything is painted & mounted to give a better frame of reference & sense of depth. This is yet another thread I enjoy following with 0 chance of replicating

401 - 420 of 442 Posts