MR2 SpyderChat banner

421 - 440 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
If only my photoshop skills were as good as my minds eye.... this rough but, I think these two lines compliment one another. Yep, its rough and needs lots of work but I think I can get it to work. Take a look a the hour glass shape of the Corvette, I'm thinking something along these lines that would funnel into a highly refined scoop. something much tighter to the car

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I wasn't sure how I felt about the body line along the side vents coming to such a sharp angle with how curvy the car is, but your fabrication skills are quite impressive. I can't wait to see those lines when everything is painted & mounted to give a better frame of reference & sense of depth. This is yet another thread I enjoy following with 0 chance of replicating
Hell, there are days when Im not sure that I can do it. Thank your for the positive vibes ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Been busy but not posting. Finished up the lower rocker intake, wrapped them in 3M carbon. They look ok but I'm on the fence with just painting them black. Maybe its my skill level that I'm not happy with? Maybe I should leave this part to the professionals. Still have to buy a set of Naca Ducts to make them functional, otherwise theyre just small parachutes

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Been busy wrapping up the fenders as well, theyve been done for a while but ... ya know theres only so much time in a day. I did however get a new toy so the molding and part marking process is gonna be much faster and easier. I actually sprayed this today, tomorrow I'll knock off the flanges and complete the two small sections and move on to the driver side.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Got the fender mold knocked out the park! whooaaa yaaa! Making a part today, should have it popped tomorrow. Working on the driver quarter panel today as well and then the driver fender... Gettin er done!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Tell us a little more about the toy gun pictured above .... is that a salad shooter ?
Why yes, yes it is a salad shooter... a very expensive salad shooter and I modified it to shoot fiberglass. No of course its not! I figured since I've been doing this little hobby of mine for close to 20 years, I might as well invest in a piece of equipment to make things easier. Oh boy has it made things easier so it was worth every penny. The fender that I just completed would have taken me hours and hours to lay up by hand. That literally means wetting out every layer, laying it in the mold and repeating the process up to about 4 layers... but more would be better for a mold (of course your limited in terms of size you can wet out and move to the mold because if its to heavy it will stretch and distort) You have to measure or weigh your catalyst and again your limited with the amount you can mix because it has a pot life ...which is maybe 20 minutes. With the new system or chopper system it literally took me 10 minutes to make the part tonight...freaking amazing time saver and so much easier! All I have to do is set my parameters and clean the main nozzle after every use ... which takes about a minute. The down side is I'm still perfecting my technique so my new parts tend to be not as even (different thicknesses) all the way through. Some sections are the equivalent of 3 layers, others are closer to 4 and the areas I overlap might even be 5 layers of 1.5 oz mat. SOOO ya,... its thick and strong but much heavier than what I like....eventually I'll work out the bugs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Fresh out the mold earlier today. Not to bad, got a few small repair areas ... nothing major. Does anyone know the weight of the factory fender? This one comes in at a whopping 4lbs 11oz but that was before the final trim... could shave a few oz off

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I have a fender I can weigh for you later today .....

Do you have a link to where you bought the salad shooter ? I might not want to wait 20 years . 😀

·
Registered
173 Posts
for a part that is wider than OEM and larger by volume, 4lb 11 oz ain't bad.

to pursue optimization, you'd probably need to vacuum bag it to reduce total resin content since resin contributes to weight quite a bit. just getting some of the resin out of the part itself and into a resin trap between the bag and the vacuum pump can shave a few oz and also make the part itself tougher since resin is a brittle material

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
for a part that is wider than OEM and larger by volume, 4lb 11 oz ain't bad.

to pursue optimization, you'd probably need to vacuum bag it to reduce total resin content since resin contributes to weight quite a bit. just getting some of the resin out of the part itself and into a resin trap between the bag and the vacuum pump can shave a few oz and also make the part itself tougher since resin is a brittle material
Thank you Sir!

Oh yes indeed, I've done vacuum bagging and you truly end up with a pretty phenomenal part. Lite weight and pretty darn tough! The down side is that if I were to offer a kit and I vacuum bagged every part, OMG the price would be out of this world! the consumables alone would probably triple or quadruple production cost. On top of that the amount of time I'd have to spend on every part WOWZERS

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
Well, I always say "I have finish work to do" well, I'm getting that done on the rear driver quarter panel and the rear bumper. I'm hoping to have both molds done by the end of the week. The problem area so far is the fuel filler, I've got to make provisions for the mold to release around this area. Its proving to be challenging because it has to have at least .5 degree in the mold angle so it releases. I think I've pretty much got it take care of, I'll find out soon enough.

The buck/plug doesn't look like much right now and honestly I think I'm gonna scrub the finish paint on it and go straight to 600 wet sand, wax with 5 or so coats and PVA. No real need for finish paint.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Turns out the best plans can be flawed sometime. So, I completed the driver fender and it turned out pretty darned nice. But,... somewhere along the way I goofed ...pretty big too. I mounted the fender, lined it up, bolted it down.. good work right? Nope... apparently I never actually opened the door all the way, so, when I tried to do that...it hit the freaking fender. Look at these pics... I was OUTDONE!!!!!!

Okay, no biggie right? I massaged away a bit of the fender.... all good... right? Nope.... check out this pic.

Freaking door hit the fender right where the grill is supposed to be mounted..... Me = Pissed!!!
So, this is what I ended up with.... ugghhh to say the least.

My idea of having perfect parts is melting away. Honestly its not that bad, (Yes it is!!!) I'm gonna make a fiberglass filler piece (its gonna be small in comparison to the rest of the project) and bondo/finish work it in. Not ideal but.... whatever... I gotta move on and move forward toward the finish line. If this turns out to be the hardest part of the kit install... bring it on!

·
Registered
173 Posts
having the filler bit on the door will make it work lol. I think it's that the seam was pretty far back before, which ended up being problematic on such a wide kit. moving the seam forward like youve done here doens't seem that bad, and was geometrically the way to go. you might wanna massage a little further, since i notice in your 2nd ot last pic that the bottom of the door is touching the fender

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
having the filler bit on the door will make it work lol. I think it's that the seam was pretty far back before, which ended up being problematic on such a wide kit. moving the seam forward like youve done here doens't seem that bad, and was geometrically the way to go. you might wanna massage a little further, since i notice in your 2nd ot last pic that the bottom of the door is touching the fender
Ya, I agree. I was and I still am reluctant to go sanding even more off the fender... just gonna make the gap bigger. But, ya you're right, it needs to be massaged a bit more for a better fit. True, a little bondo/filler is common place with these types of builds... I just freaking hate that stuff...ughhhhh.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Mold making went ok tonight. I skipped the final primer coat, seems pointless. I did notice however that the plug lacks that luster/shine, but once the PVA get sprayed Im sure things will brighten up a bit. I forget how tedious it is to make the flanges and fill/seal the edges ....took forever!!!

421 - 440 of 442 Posts