MR2 SpyderChat banner

481 - 500 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
So, I got a PM from a member that brought the "Lotus Elise Prototype" to my attention.

Hell, if I hadn't pulled the trigger on my current build and this were a production car.... well it would be in the stable!

I'm not a fan of the taillights, but that's only because I would have NO idea how to incorporate them into my build. However, something was brought to my attention and that's the texture of the design. None of surfaces are flat, there are angles and depth. Some or maybe even all the pics I posted earlier lack that detail. Granted, they don't look like the broad side of a barn but, they certainly lack visual interest. I just pulled up random pics of a Ferrari 458 and a Lambo Huracan and they're both good examples of visual texture. The Lambo may be a bit overkill but I'm sure you'll see what I mean. I like the simplicity of the 458 much better than the lambo but that's just personal preference.... Hell.... that give me some ideas now that I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Rayven14..
Well, I’ve been thinking long and hard about the head light options as well for the Turismo (if I pull the trigger on that...) Seeing what you’ve done with the Celica.. like it.. but what about:
3F696CE3-E4DC-47B4-8860-CC591E3290F0.jpeg

keeps the fender/hood lines...kinda. 2014-2019 Corvette aftermarket option.. kinda the Lambo look.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
@Rayven14..
Well, I’ve been thinking long and hard about the head light options as well for the Turismo (if I pull the trigger on that...) Seeing what you’ve done with the Celica.. like it.. but what about:
View attachment 80850

keeps the fender/hood lines...kinda. 2014-2019 Corvette aftermarket option.. kinda the Lambo look.

Hmm, thats a great option. The price is kinda steep but it does check all the boxes... and its visually appealing. It would be nice if I could get my hands on one for cheap and massage it into place. I can add it to my growing collection of defunct headlights if it didn't work out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
My preference for taillights -

1. Maserati (although cost & availability are big factors);
2. new Camaro.

Any thought given to the new Toyota Venza.
Thats a nice light package! I hadn't seen these before... something to add to my list.

I think the Lincoln is similar is design although clearly different. My thought process was to simply (if I decide on the Lincoln) flip the lights upside down. Although, my bigger concern would be their height, not sure it would fit the scale of the car. Although I don't know that yet. Its hard to scale things in pictures. I'm probably gonna be that guy lurking around used car lots after closing with a tape measure and my camera... Haaa! that will be a helluva story when the cops show up.

So with regard to the Camaro lights. The existing Porsche lights have a slight contour that matches the body, although I'm not even sure if that design element will stay as things move along. I'm worried about the end result looking "Boxy"

Having said that.... I found this rendering online and I love the way the tail/spoiler/wing resembles my existing kit. But! I also don't wanna go all Audi looking on the build either.

Now, couple that with the idea of the Camaro tail lights... This is what I see. What do you think?

I'm also reserved when it comes to the idea of having lots of tail light wrap around the side of the car, a little is fine and would probably add to the design element of the finished product. Ideally I'd prefer the best of both worlds. They're kinda round kinda straight.... they're also unfortunately a two piece design. I guess the preferred look would be something that incorporates some texture, ya know, something other than a straight line

Curves, although not exactly a tail light, you get it

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do like the (red) Audi taillights and design, but I do find the openings in the bumper immediately below the lights a tad exaggerated, oversized and disproportionate. I know it is personal taste but I would reduce those openings considerably, or eliminate them completely, and go with a more Maserati-like rear-end design. Just my opinion. That being said, I have no idea or vision how well this rear-end would integrate or flow with the rest of your existing design features.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Hmmm ya, I agree that it is disproportionate. But I think the size is standard Audi, and to say that its exaggerated is putting it light. That's certainly not to my liking and not the direction I wanna go. I'd love to get my hands on a set of the Maserati lights but geeez, a quick google search yields no results... NADA, ZIP, ZILCH! Other Maserati lights come up but their not what I'm looking for and they too are ridiculously expensive.

Ya, I was looking at the car last night wonder how I'm gonna blend the old with the new and how to get there. Guess what? No Clue! and its driving me bonkers!!!!! One of my buddies (who thinks I'm completely insane) says "Just start cutting" Ughhhh! and he thinks I'm the insane one.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Not that I've invested any near amount of time on this as you, but have you looked into led strips or tubes that will fit the body lines you do want, rather than throwing something else in there and hoping for the best?

Also, while looking into the brave new world of Porsche parts after I bought my GT3, there are several options for the 911 tail lights as well that may work better with what is mostly already there.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I own a Mazda 3 Hatchback so if you need measurements or something I'm your guy. I have the lighting package with the dual rear halos and all that, they're pretty amazing. The four little pieces in the turn signals and reverse lights are real pretty too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Not that I've invested any near amount of time on this as you, but have you looked into led strips or tubes that will fit the body lines you do want, rather than throwing something else in there and hoping for the best?

Also, while looking into the brave new world of Porsche parts after I bought my GT3, there are several options for the 911 tail lights as well that may work better with what is mostly already there.
Hmmm, you mean like creating my own brake lights? I don't follow what you mean by "Tubes"

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I own a Mazda 3 Hatchback so if you need measurements or something I'm your guy. I have the lighting package with the dual rear halos and all that, they're pretty amazing. The four little pieces in the turn signals and reverse lights are real pretty too.

View attachment 80864
I actually really like these tail lights! they would give me the best of both worlds, kinda round, kinda linear and provide some texture to the rear end... ya know,... they're not flat.

Hecks ya! pop out a tape measure and drop some measurements on me. Id like to know the width from left to right but dont include that part that wraps around the car. Give me that in a separate measurement.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #492

View attachment 80864
Oh wait you're in San Francisco? Hmmm .... interesting, If I were to use these lights it would make it really easy to make a splash mold of that section of the car..hint hint

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Hmmm, you mean like creating my own brake lights? I don't follow what you mean by "Tubes"
Yes, make you're own. Can't be harder than manufacturing your own body kit...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
I mean... I got some ideas: not that the ideas are good, but ideas.
elantra, stinger, kona, rx8 pre-2009, jag, fdrx7
View attachment 80892 View attachment 80893
View attachment 80895 View attachment 80896
View attachment 80897 View attachment 80898
I like the lighting design of the Elantra, lots of visual interest without going overboard
The shape of the Stinger is cool but kinda plain
The Kona is probably my favorite, nice visual interest and good shape
Mazda is ehhh
Jag! Hmmm ... wait let me google these.... Hmmmmm, ya know, these might not be a bad option. Their not cheap but more affordable than what I thought they might be. And its a one piece design.
RX7 has great lighting interest but doesn't fit the build.

Good job refirendum! Now I've got homework. Once I wrap up the interior and start the bumper, I'll have to post pics and take a vote with the narrowed down options.

Keep em coming guys, you've definitely given me a few more options.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Well with the exterior on hold I have been busy working on the interior a bit, figured something should be completed.

Got a few flaws here and there, nothing major though. One thing that I did notice and Im not a fan of was the quality of the glue. I'm used to using the 1 gallon landua top and trim adhesive

But I saw this stuff and thought it would be great from a convenience standpoint.

Ya..... its not the same! The original stuff has incredible tack performance, meaning once you press it in place... it aint coming apart! This can stuff is more like 3M Super 77.... I probably wont use it again. It also comes out super thick with tons of bubble.... its just not that great in my opinion.

In any event, I'll just drop a few pics of the process. I figured I'd get back to basics with the design, keep it simple with a focus on creating space.

Cut this off

Bonded in a piece of ABS, this allowed me to have a flat surface to build from.

And I started building with different ideas and shapes until I found something I liked. Note there is a 1/4 inch board under the bondo. You all know how much I hate thick bondo!

Patched the two holes where the tweeter and door handle were located, and centered the new tweeter.

And started body working it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
I made this handle a while back from and old door design, modified it a bit and used it here.

I flip flopped the material around before I finally nailed down the black arm rest.

Painted and baked these door pulls. If memory serves me correctly these are early 2000's Volvo wagon rear door pulls. Then I swapped them left to right.

There is always finish work, I think a heat gun and a bit off massaging is needed. A little tuck here and there, a cut and snip with a lil cleaning and shining will finish it all off nicely. Oh so the colors on the doors will also be in the seats as accent colors, not just gonna have some random brown color thrown in there. You'll see, stay tuned.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Where's the door handle pull?

481 - 500 of 506 Posts