MR2 SpyderChat banner
561 - 580 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
In my last post if you look through the rear bumper you can see the humble beginnings of the new rear frame. I took that template to my local metal shop and watched as they sliced through some 1/4 steel like it was butter. They have an 11ft shear that is no joke! Then they welded a couple of cross bars for a basic foundation for me to build upon.

So, I did a bit of homework and decided that I'm certainly never going into the metal fabrication business and didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a "tube-notcher" ... trust me they can be pricey! So I did what anyone would do. I went over to Harbor Freight and got one for like $57 bucks. Yes, you get what you pay for and it certainly needed lots and lots of tweaking that included adding washers with varying degrees of thickness to get it to a point where everything was perfectly aligned. granted I also purchased the actual hole saw from Homedepot (Im sure it was at least a step up from Harbor Freight) Once all that was done and I made a few practice cuts and it actually worked out pretty darn good. And I only used 1 hole saw!

As far as tips and tricks go, well I started out using my cordless 18volt drill and it worked but it was laboring. So, I reluctantly shifted over to my Dewalt hammer drill. However, the problem with that drill is the torque, its great for the job at hand but if it catches the metal it could twist the cracker jacks out of my wrist... trust me... I know! So, I used the handle and braced it against the table to prevent the twisting from happening... and it all worked perfectly. I also used compressed air to cool the blade instead of cutting oil or WD-40 and it seemed to work perfectly as the blade never seemed to lose its edge.

This was my foundation I started from, its 12 inches high as I'm also going to be attaching reinforcements for the rear wing.

Door Rectangle Wood Gas Font

Here is my notching setup.

Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Tool Drill Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Tool Bicycle part Auto part Machine Bicycle drivetrain part

After my practice cuts this is what I ended up with.

Automotive tire Grey Wood Automotive exhaust Auto part

Got pretty good fitment.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

The almost finished product.

Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Rim Motor vehicle

Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Well, its been a minute. Life can sometimes get in the way of the fun but ... Im still chippin away at it. I finally got the molds for the lower rockers done. Mounted the passenger side last night. I'll post a few pics once I get back at it later today. In the mean time here is the mold processs

Green Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Composite material

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Urban design

Green Gas Machine Wood Plastic

Gesture Paint Rectangle Gas Font

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 · (Edited)
Aero.... The 4th and 6th pic are the original fins next to the new design. The grey parts are still in the prototype phase, gonna get them done in some ABS and add a perimeter to the mounting surface to give it a bit more support.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle door
Automotive design Bumper Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car
Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Fender Automotive design

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
I also trimmed and mounted the side skirts, fitment is damn good if I don't say so myself. They're not without flaws,... its fiberglass so I'm gonna need to massage them a bit. But, overall, I'm pleased as punch.... spiked punch!

Here what I got: Overall view. Note that Im gonna be adding an aero piece under the side skirt/rocker to bring the look all together.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 · (Edited)
Few details on mounting.... Part of the problem with the original kit was simply mounting the kit... in short... only a few of the factory mount points were utilized. I've kinda always had the idea that I wanted to have all or most of the kit repairable. You know, like something is damaged so you unbolt the old and add a new part. With that in mind, I utilized the mount point under the car. There are 4 of them and I used three.

I used 1 where the factory fender mounts, the other two are where the quarter panels mount.
Gas Composite material Automotive exterior Fixture Metal

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
The rest of the panel gets mounted inside the door: I'm on the fence with bonding it in place and blending it in or screwing it in place. Hmmm I may bond it in. Sure its gonna be a lot of work to get it off (If I ever need to) but I think it will look better.

Hood Automotive tire Window Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Ok the bad stuff. I got some alligatoring in a few spots. Its because the gelcoat was to thin ....and I knew it when I sprayed it in and against my better judgement ... I said to myself "Ehh it'll be fine" and it is... I just have some repair work to do. Note to self, listen to your better judgement next time.

Also the body line on the driver side.. Near perfect! The passenger side...Ehhhhhh Its got some weird hump in it. Freaking fiberglass I tell ya.

Driver body line:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
Passenger. Its impossible to see in the pic but its super tight under the door right in the middle. Gonna have to use the
freakin belt sander or something outrageous.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

561 - 580 of 646 Posts