MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I've been here for a few months and so I thought I would really introduce myself and my Spyder.

First of all, the name's Jahnathon.
I spent six years in the Air Force working on F-15 and A-10 jet engines.
After that I started building houses in Mexico for homeless families.
That inspired me to spend five years in an electrical apprenticeship to learn the trade.
Now I'm a full time student (thank you VA) majoring in Biblical Studies and Mission work, hoping to make it a career.

I like to rock climb, skydive, snowboard, and run marathons.
And I believe that life is fun (hence why I bought a Spyder) and that there's an inherent dignity to all people.

So this is me:

And this is my Spyder, which I picked up a few months ago after a several year itch finally had to be scratched:

I have a few things planned for it, but as I don't really know car mechanics, I am a full time student, I run track, and I commute 3 hours a day, work will be slow.

However, on the list is a 2zz swap, removal of that ridiculous antenna, and a paint job. I really like Hypnotic Teal Mica (if any photoshop wizards want to have a go at showing me what the finished product would look like on a Spyder :lol:). I also am interested in getting a stereo with bluetooth and was wondering how well it works in a Spyder. Unfortunately my hearing is pretty poor because of the jet engines and I was wondering if someone with bluetooth could tell me what the quality of sound is like.

Anyways, I hope that, as time goes on, I can contribute to the pool of information which has already been quite useful to me.
Thank you.

PS. If anyone in the Vancouver area ever wants to go climbing or snowboarding or whatever…

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hey, welcome to the community. There's ton's of resources here, some great vendors, and smoking deals on pharmaceutics right now. I'm not too far from you, although it's not likely that I'm going to cross the border for some rock climbing. If you're ever up in Victoria, I do know a good climbing gym.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
:welcome:

To the land of permagrin.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's impressive. I'd ask how you do that, but I'm sure I wouldn't understand your answer.

And thanks guys. I'm loving the permagrin. I had a GTI VR6 prior to the Spyder, and it was faster but it just wasn't as fun.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Welcome, nice Spyder, and please use ropes when you clinb (none of that ropeless, freestyle stuff). I saw a 60 Minutes episode recently with a climber (scaled the faces of some of the high peaks in Yosemite). It was pretty scary to watch as he did it flawlessly with no protection against falling- I can't remember his name though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, nice Spyder, and please use ropes when you clinb (none of that ropeless, freestyle stuff). I saw a 60 Minutes episode recently with a climber (scaled the faces of some of the high peaks in Yosemite). It was pretty scary to watch as he did it flawlessly with no protection against falling- I can't remember his name though.
Thanks. I use ropes if I'm above 10-15 feet. Partly because of safety and partly because I'm afraid of heights. The climber in question in Alex Honnold, who is amazingly brilliant, gutsy, and will unfortunately die young.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
You're a smart man- welcome. I tried rock climbing on one occasion in New Hampshire a long time ago (I think it was Mount Cannon). It was an 800 foot non vertical face (more like a high degree slope)- it was part of a weekend climbing course through Eastern Mountain Sports. I enjoyed doing it, but realized it wasn't for me for the long term.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey I too bought a spyder this summer. I recently installed an LT short antenna kit from TAKUBAN MOTORSPORTS and am very satisfied (did not road test the reception as car is hibernating until april) This kit is great because it comes with all toyota oem parts (except for the antenna itself) from underneath the rear baggage compartment all the way to the antenna.
Annother great mod was the brest rigidity plate from CORKY, it improves the chassis greatly. I installed it and felt an immediate improvement.
Ken

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ken, it's fun, isn't it? I wish I didn't wait so long to get one. Short antenna's look better, but I'm not really interested in any antenna, as I haven't listened to the radio in several years. I'd rather listen to cds or my iPod and find some way to blank off the hole.

I keep reading about breastplates and I think that I will have to get one sometime down the line. Nobody seems to have anything negative to say about them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Jahnathon

Love the yellow 2!!! I really wanted a yellow one when I was '2 shopping but couldn't find one in a decent condition... settled for Sable Grey in the end! :lol:

Re: Aerial - rather than pay to blank it off, have you thought about fitting a switch so the aerial only extends when you want to listen to the radio rather than every time you start the car?

Much cheaper than getting a body shop to cut it out and cover it over! :p

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I also am interested in getting a stereo with bluetooth and was wondering how well it works in a Spyder. Unfortunately my hearing is pretty poor because of the jet engines and I was wondering if someone with bluetooth could tell me what the quality of sound is like.

I just installed a new Kenwood double DIN unit with bluetooth a few weeks ago. I have not been able to achieve acceptable results from it no matter where I place the microphone. I have spoken with several people that have tried Pioneer and JVC units with not much success either.

I am using the bluetooth function so that I know when my phone is ringing as I can not hear it in the car otherwise. I just answer the phone and switch to handset before using.

In retrospect I would have saved the $50 on the non-bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just installed a new Kenwood double DIN unit with bluetooth a few weeks ago. I have not been able to achieve acceptable results from it no matter where I place the microphone. I have spoken with several people that have tried Pioneer and JVC units with not much success either.

I am using the bluetooth function so that I know when my phone is ringing as I can not hear it in the car otherwise. I just answer the phone and switch to handset before using.

In retrospect I would have saved the $50 on the non-bluetooth unit.
Thanks! That pretty much answers my questions. I figured that the Spyder is pretty loud and I have trouble anyways, so I think I'll stick to answering my phone when I've gotten to where I'm going.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I recently installed an LT short antenna kit from TAKUBAN MOTORSPORTS and am very satisfied (did not road test the reception as car is hibernating until april) This kit is great because it comes with all toyota oem parts (except for the antenna itself) from underneath the rear baggage compartment all the way to the antenna.
The signal is reduced, although not completely. But if there were any channels you had an issue reaching before you most likely wont get them now until your closer.
Hi Jahnathon

Love the yellow 2!!! I really wanted a yellow one when I was '2 shopping but couldn't find one in a decent condition... settled for Sable Grey in the end! :lol:

Re: Aerial - rather than pay to blank it off, have you thought about fitting a switch so the aerial only extends when you want to listen to the radio rather than every time you start the car?
Sable Grey was not an OEM color for the Spyder. Also Spyders didnt get the power antenna's until 03+ I believe. Before that they were always out. Looks like the OP already has an aftermarket antenna on his car though.

To the OP. Car looks good, Welcome to the forum and for the little cost of LT's shorty antenna it wouldnt hurt to get one until you decided to repaint the car/patch the hole from the antenna. It would atleast temporarily fix the present eyesore.

Also looks like you have ears. Search for Dev's top strap.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luggage rack

In anticipation of a drive down to California and a Yosemite run, I've installed a luggage rack:

Bring on the miles!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I bought a Kenwood HU with bluetooth to replace my bluetooth headset. I lost my headset bt now I have to rely on the HU's bt. It works pretty good and has adjustments for gain on the mic. People hear me pretty good unless its extra windy with the top down. Rolling windows up pretty much solves that problem. Hearing the other person is more a problem ...some times. Since the voices are coming thru the car speakers it could sound bad good or inaudible depending on how close they talk into their phones. Mines has bt connection problems 10% of the time.

Hope this helps and welcome.

I tried rockclimbing a few times with my friends a few months ago. Got up to a v3 and I was satisfied and done lol. Those same friends are up to v10's now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts