MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after I resolved the check engine light on my 2000 spyder by replacing the MAF I went to take my smog test at a smog test only place... thinking it would pass now.. it didn't. it passed nearly everything, except the 15mph HC (ppm) test.

15 mph Max 66, meas 69
25 mph Max 49, meas 32

I have the precats gutted, so I was sure to drive it around for about 20 min before I took it in. It sat maybe 10-15 min before it was put on the dyno smog. The last smog about 4 years ago was also close to failing but did pass under the max level for 15 mph, around 64 ppm. Actually looking back at the smog 8 years ago, it was right on the dot at 66 ppm (passed). So it's really close. The guy at the smog test only place said maybe change the spark plugs? But I had them changed maybe 2 years ago, less than 8,000 miles ago. Yeah I don't drive the Spyder that much these days.

I have replacement spark plugs ready to go, just need to buy the socket. But what do you guys think, will changing the spark plugs really help? Maybe the shop that changed them for me didn't replace with iridium OEM plugs and used copper ones but even so is it likely that they are fouled up after so little time/miles? Or do you think it's something else I should look at first? Suggestions please, thanks!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
My no smog state car sits in the garage in the winter, but your smog test car in CA that can be driven year round didn't pass the smog test.

No smog test is one advantage that you warmies don't have! :lol:

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
My car is a gutted 2001, with 215 K Miles on the Org Motor, Org O2 Sensors ( Except Cat Sensor ) and the Factory Spark Plugs at time of This Smog.. I'm running Cleaned 2ZZ Injectors and a Somewhat Modified Intake.. on my 1ZZ Motor..

My test was the Idling Test.. not the Treadmill test.. and it sat idling about 15 Minutes before the test.. did not turn it off.. and I came out CLEAN.. No border line anything..

My Compression is Good.. ( 200 ish ) and the Fuel Injectors have been Cleaned at WWW.witchhunter.com $100 and One Week Turnaround Total inc Shipping..

Spark Plugs arnt gunna do it.. a HOT Cat will.. or Likely the Removal and Cleaning of the Injectors.

My $0.02

Cap

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dyno smog test

I've never even heard of a dyno smog test. Is it something you have to pass on a yearly basis or every 4 years? Glad I don't live in California, wait scratch that!! We have yearly safety inspections where I live.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Bi-annual dyno smog tests/visual inspection for cars older than 5 or 6 years. No test if cars are newer, and no test in sparsely populated counties. The dyno test will be eliminated next year and replaced with an ECU/CEL check and visual inspection only - no actual measurement of emissions anymore.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've never even heard of a dyno smog test. Is it something you have to pass on a yearly basis or every 4 years? Glad I don't live in California, wait scratch that!! We have yearly safety inspections where I live.
once every two years

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
In NJ, they just check for OBDII codes. No codes, you pass. No dyno for the newer cars like they previously had (maybe for the older ones though).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think I would try it again, and do like Cap did, don't shut it off. Run it a while, make sure that everything is up to temp. and don't shut it down before the test.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure how much difference it would make, but maybe you could borrow or buy someone's non-gutted exhaust manifold. I seem to recall some floating around Spyderchat looking for a Californian who wants to pass smog.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
We ought to rent precats out....
A good Idea.. EXCEPT..

A Spyder in good shape will not need additional help .. so fix the problem, and the Spyder will pass..

Cap

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dyno test will be eliminated next year and replaced with an ECU/CEL check and visual inspection only - no actual measurement of emissions anymore.
Is that right? I hadn't heard that, but that is great news if true. Well great news for us car enthusiasts, maybe not great news for the environment.

Cap Weir said:
A Spyder in good shape will not need additional help .. so fix the problem, and the Spyder will pass..
I hear that... will do what I can to keep my Spyder running well and pass legit. Reluctant to mess with the fuel injectors and such myself though, out of my comfort zone... might have to pay to have it done. Unless you think one of those bottles of injector cleaner additive stuff will help enough to pass and get me by until the next (more lenient) smog test. :)

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Is that right? I hadn't heard that, but that is great news if true. Well great news for us car enthusiasts, maybe not great news for the environment.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=AB+2289

From what I've read, we aren't completely off the hook. Custom ECU tunes will be able to be detected, and I believe they will be able to see if how long it's been since you reset your ECU if you attempt to clear your CEL just before you go in.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
They will just use an OBDII scanner. The scanner can not tell if the ECU maps have been changed, specially in Toyota cars that are completely hack proof and can not be remapped. This test is basically is useless. All it does it look to see if there are any codes.

Problem now is the ECU VIN and the car VIN have to match. So not more engine swaps without a BAR sticker. No more passing off 2zz for 1zz engine.

They will still require cars older than 2000 to get the dyno smog test.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What fuel did you have in the car and how old was it?

When you go for smog put the cheapest lowest octane you can find in it. This cuts down on the additives and causes a quicker aka leaner burn.

This advice was given to me by a state inspector and has been very helpful with many vehicles. :)

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Problem now is the ECU VIN and the car VIN have to match. So not more engine swaps without a BAR sticker. No more passing off 2zz for 1zz engine..
No VIN Info is Stored on our Spyder or the Celica ECU.. so our 2ZZ Swaps will still be able to 'Slide By'..

Cap

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What fuel did you have in the car and how old was it?

When you go for smog put the cheapest lowest octane you can find in it. This cuts down on the additives and causes a quicker aka leaner burn.

This advice was given to me by a state inspector and has been very helpful with many vehicles. :)
I only use 87 octane and it was maybe 1-2 weeks old? been driving the car a little more ever since I replaced the MAF sensor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts