MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well, I admit I was reving it at around 6krpm when it happened, doing a late night fun run in the hills.... was going great until it started to make this horrible tapping noise....! well, better than a horrible grinding noise i suppose.... but still...

Video with the noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0xyTi_-3Oo&feature=youtu.be

Facts:
* It seems to not make the noise very loudly if you keep it under 2000rpm.
* It makes less noise when you are hard on the gas, no matter the RPM
* Constant throttle (about 30%) like you are on the freeway cruizing, it makes the noise the worst.
* It has been driven about 15 miles since the noise started (had to get it home, thought it was just the alternator), and it has not blown up yet...
* It is NOT the alternator. I swapped in a new alternator, and the noise is still very much present and did not change at all
* I removed the valve cover and everything visually looks normal.

What I think:
* Possibly cam related?
* Maybe VVT-i related?
* Cam chain related?
* Really dont think its the water pump, the noise is too high up in the motor, and the noise doesnt sound water-pump-ish

heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllpppppp!

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I believe that's a bad rod bearing. Sounds exactly like a sound clip I have of my old '02. I sold that car and shipped it to someone who had a 2zz put in it, IIRC. Per LittleRocket it was a bad #4 rod bearing.

So, unless he was incorrect...rebuild time, or new shortblock time. Sorry man. $$$

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
edit: saw the video.

sorry about your engine dude.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
congrats on your new 2zz swap donor :D I'd recognize that miserable sound anywhere, stop driving the motor and pull the oil pan, check for shavings, if you're lucky you might get away with just bearings, if you're like me I'd start looking into 2zzs and 6 speeds. Its depressing when it happens but upgrading in the process really cheers you up :D

-Spargo

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm no expert so cant comment on the sound.

for your sake i hope it isnt bearings...

by the way, i see on your signature that you are running nos. is this on the stock 1zz motor?

·
Registered
781 Posts
You say that it happens on the deceleration, but you can hear it when you start the car right up. I think that the revving covers it - you can hear it again when it slows back down.

Keep us posted - my bet is with Schmoe regarding the rod bearing.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Saw the video, sounds like early signs of rod knock. If it's on the pass side that's a bad one to start to let go. The engine offers up the most oil there so chances that the other bearings aren't in good shape either is high. At the early stages, you wont have any noticeable power loss. Yet if you let this noise continue you will end up with a giant hole in the block. You can save it but that's on you.

Did you check your oil for shavings yet? Drain your oil into a clean pan and look for metal flakes. If you find a good number of them time to park the car and make a new plan. Another option run the car and get a stethoscope to positively ID the noise. If it's coming form the bottom half well you know what it is then. Good luck been there also me it was bad piston rings that lead to many other issues.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Edit: you had to reach far forward to pull that throttle. I found it finally.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turned out to be rod knock. so kudos if u guessed correctly.

drained the oil and the first quart came out silver! hahaha

in the process of putting in a JDM block ... should have start up this week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts