MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you T Bone.

Hello T Bone,
Thank you for taking the time to print this informative article. It has helped me with my next tire purchase. LB.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Holy crap. That's some serious research, and much appreciated-- I'm going to need some rears on my (stock) '01 real soon.
Muchos gracias!

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
From what I have heard from other people the azenis 615s aren't that good in the rain. I read a post from someone who had them on his subie and said that he hydroplaned a lot when they started to wear.

I agree sticking with stock right now doesn't sound like a bad idea. The main reason I left stock was because of their rain traction, it can be done but I like to have over kill. I got the S-03s and noticed the stiff sidewalls before I left the parking lot of my tire place. I LOVE that feeling, thus I feel I will have a very difficult time choosing a tire. (needed first thing next spring also).

I feel the Good year F1 GS-D3 would be a good choice but they don't make it for the 02s. However if you have a 03+ it is something you guys should check out. Same for the TA KDW and TA KDW 2. If you want dry performance for the plain KD because the W in KDW supposedly stands for wet.

·
10,809 Posts
The new Goodyear ResponseEdge is the tire I will try after my S0-3's wear down.

They make them in our sizes and seem very nice. They have a Kevlar band for flex and they are supposed to be quiet and smooth with predictable break-away.

Here's the link

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Originally posted by DaSpyda

They make them in our sizes and seem very nice. They have a Kevlar band for flex and they are supposed to be quiet and smooth with predictable break-away.

Here's the link
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Grand Touring All-Season tires[/b]
Bleh, they couldn't be all that great.

Plus if you have an 00-02 your sizes are

195/55VR15
205/60HR15
215/60HR15

03+

205/50VR16

All much to high of an aspect ratio IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
T-Bone that was a very nice summary. I have spent many hours researching my next tires for my 2003 with OEM wheels doing exactly the same comparisons a few months back. I came to the conclusion that I wanted ES100's at 195/50VR15&225/45WR16 for almost exactly the reasons you wrote that someone would choose them.

As an aside, I'm running Federal SS-595's right now and, while they are great wet, they are not nearly sticky enough dry for my needs.

·
10,809 Posts
Originally posted by T-bone+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (T-bone)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DaSpyda

Here's the link
thanks but why go all season Don? do you think the preformance is good enough on these? especially compared to poles?[/b]
I have yet to find a worthy substitute for the S0-3's and this seems very close. I live in FL, so a summer or all season will work for me.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thank you for going through the effort to document this for the rest of the community.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Originally posted by old-timer
thanks for all your hare work
What rabbits have to do with it?

·
10,809 Posts
Originally posted by SpydaMite
Have they stopped makin SO3s? They seem to be so hard to find these days. I still have my rear 225/50/15 thats barely been used after my accident I need to find 16 version to fit my 2003.
Yes, the tire's been discontinued... :cry:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
About this Discussion
162 Replies
41 Participants
unrealii
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing