MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, there is a SpyderMagazine article on this. But, I thought, it assumes you already know WHERE the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) is. So I thought I could make it more simple. N00b-proof, if you will. Hey, I'm learning too--may as well share the process.

The engine should be cool for this procedure, or you are likely to get burned.

First, you need to remove the ECU fuse or the positive battery terminal clamp. This allows the ECU to "reset" itself.
See that thread here.

What you'll need to clean the MAF:MAF cleaner (the magazine article says choke & carb cleaner is OK too, but I just bought the dedicated stuff), Phillips head screwdriver

So, pop the hood and let's see where this puppy lives.
Oh! There he is! (blue arrow)

Let's get a little closer. Now he's boxed in.

OK, now we know where he is. Let's get started.

There's a tab on the top of the MAF sensor wire harness. Push the tab down and pull the harness away from the MAF

There are 2 Phillips head screws to be removed, as indicated by the blue arrows. They're little, so don't lose them when you remove them!

Loosen the screws:

Remove the screws and put them somewhere safe.

Now the MAF will lift out:

You're ready to clean it.

Here's what you're aiming for--the platinum wires in there. They can be damaged, so don't put the spray nozzle directly in contact with them.

Spray the cleaner into the MAF to spray the platinum wires.

There is a little rubber O ring (blue arrow). The SpyderMagazine article mentions you might want to remove it on the chance the cleaner might make it brittle. I didn't see the spray getting much on there, but you can also spray it with the MAF at an angle so the spray doesn't get near the O ring.

Put the MAF back in the way it came out (there's only one way it will fit), and tighten the screws.

Reconnect the MAF sensor wire harness by pushing it back into place.

...and VOILA! You're done. Go have a beer, and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Or better yet, take the Spyder for a drive, THEN have that pat and beer.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Barkingspyder - please put this in the Library. Superior reference.

Hokiemule: Welcome to the world of "how-to" authors. Great job and my compliments.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I did the MAF cleaning in the beginning of the season, and my o-ring was already cracked and almost broken.

Does anyone know the size? I feel this could be useful for future reference.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Aug 10 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Holy god you have huge nails! :icon_lol:

Oh yeah I'll echo what SE said too put her in the library.[/b]
Thanks, guys. I figured why not do a little "n00b on n00b" training. For n00bs, written by n00bs.

Yeah, the nails are a little out of control right now--they're not usually that bloody long, but I'm overdue for a manicure. Shoulda painted them red just for this. :icon_mrgreen: They ARE great for ass- and dog scratching, though.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OoooHhhhhh Love those back scratches, Mine all Mine==Back off Dark Day.

Very nice write up Honkiemule, but you should of shown your big white a$$ for me? :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kevin Beane @ Aug 10 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good job. Even noobier than the Lil' Tikes Popup Book of MAF Cleaning for Complete Idiots or whatever the heck it was called.[/b]
Thanks. If I coulda made it pop-up, that would have been SO cool. Scratch n' sniff wouldn't do much for that one, though, so I thought I'd skip that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dev @ Aug 11 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to better our community.[/b]
Thanks. Just trying to compensate a little for the generally useless posts. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just need to add,
"Begin by removing positive battery terminal"
and end with
"Finaly after reinstalling the MAF and tightening the screws, replace positive terminal"

(that how us lemmings do it anyway)

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
WARNING: Do not inhale

CAUTION: Eye irritant

ACTUNG: Extinguish all smoking materials

ALLERGY WARNING: May contain trace amounts of peanuts

CONTRAINDICATIONS: Spontaneous Human Combustion, Mysterious Organ Failure, decreased libido, projectile vomitting, inexplicable urge to play Fantastic Contraptions and/or watch Olympic curling, erections lasting four or more hours, ...

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wellbiten @ Aug 10 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Very nice write up Honkiemule, but you should of shown your big white a$$ for me? :icon_thumright:[/b]

Possibly the funniest misspelling of the authors name. I particularly enjoyed the lefty loosey counterclockwise arrows on the screwdriver shaft. Nice write up.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr2shopper @ Aug 10 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I did the MAF cleaning in the beginning of the season, and my o-ring was already cracked and almost broken.
Does anyone know the size? I feel this could be useful for future reference.[/b]
Only reset the ECU if your dirty MAF was throwing a CEL.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (midlyph @ Aug 11 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just need to add,
"Begin by removing positive battery terminal"
and end with
"Finaly after reinstalling the MAF and tightening the screws, replace positive terminal"

(that how us lemmings do it anyway)[/b]
Interesting--if the SpyderMagazine article mentioned that, I didn't see it. Sure didn't do it, either, and didn't have any problems. Drove the car afterward, no problems.

Is it a necessity? If so, I'll edit the post to reflect that.

....and, just for Beanie, add a disclaimer that you shouldn't lick the battery terminals. :icon_mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgSpyder @ Aug 11 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wellbiten @ Aug 10 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice write up Honkiemule, but you should of shown your big white a$$ for me? :icon_thumright:[/b]

Possibly the funniest misspelling of the authors name. I particularly enjoyed the lefty loosey counterclockwise arrows on the screwdriver shaft. Nice write up.
[/b][/quote]
I've been called worse.

...and it WAS written for n00bs, so I felt the directional arrows were appropriate. I should probably add a caution about making sure the engine isn't hot, so they don't burn their n00b hands.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (charlatan brown @ Aug 11 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice write up Hokie!

Your engine bay reminded me that mine needs to be cleaned before Thursday's meet.[/b]
I had just cleaned it, so don't feel too bad. There was NO WAY I was going to get flamed for posting a "how to" using a dirty engine bay.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.