MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a spin off from a different thread:

Living in NYS, which has annual vehicle inspections as well as emissions, many older cars routinely fail inspection, especially after someone moves from another state. It’s sobering going to other states & seeing what makes it’s way to the road in places that don’t have any inspections whatsoever. Of course these rolling death traps are some combination of SES, ignorance, & plain stupidity. The ideal answer is probably somewhere in the middle but either extreme is eye opening.
Living in a region with OCD inspection the performance options are:

Engine swap: Illegal and needs engineering certifying report and red tape costing 1500€ plus ánd must be done/declared by authorised garage.
Turbo/supercharger: same
NOS: theoretically permitted if not connected on road, but NitrousOxide cannot be bought in the country
Special fuel: illegal, period.

Options?

Being creative with weight reduction and breathing of the n.a. 1ZZ.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If a legally certified engine swap/forced induction setup is not possible due to SES, then the obvious answer, go buy a different car for your desired goals (aka Lotus Elise/Exige) is also not feasible. I definitely agree that NOS isn't a feasible power upgrade unless you are purely drag racing. Special fuel in an untuned NA engine is burning money for no gain, so no real implication there. That leaves creativity.

As was already discussed in several other threads there is a point where legitimate creativity & weight reduction crosses over to ignorance/stupidity as you remove integral safety equipment. If safety isn't a concern, might as well go in for a penny in for a pound. One could always take a grinder & shave the chassis down to lose a few more pounds/kg as well.

As for the N.A. 1zz, one could opt to modify internals (again dependent on SES), optimize intake & exhaust. The truth is at this point, knowing all of these hurdles prior to purchase, if this is not enough then you simply chose the wrong car. When you start with an initial bad decision you can go down a rabbit hole using both physical & verbal gymnastics to try to justify it or you can cut your losses and get back on track to your original goals.

I find that we as people often turn to ignorance or stupidity to justify decisions made due to what we perceive as unfair, but very real, SES constraints.

Reactions: turbo_jimbo

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
If your goals are to have a marginally better Spyder, then keep doing what you're doing. It's perfectly okay. If your goal is to have a car more than marginally better than a Spyder, and you can't afford such a car, then you have to break the law or move.

In your shoes, I'd just move to a place more in line with my values and interests. That is, in fact, what I did recently.

If that were not possible, then I'd break the law, modify my car, and bribe whomever needs to be bribed; but that's from within an American legal system where The People generally have the power to reject unjust laws, both through civil disobedience and through jury nullification. The laws surrounding engine swaps in Spain are certainly unjust as you have described them. I wouldn't feel any moral obligation to obey those laws.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I have to agree with statements above. If you enjoy the car as it is, keep driving it! If you think it needs more power, then a different car or country may be the right course of action for you. For me, Las Vegas is fairly lenient, but Tennessee is more lenient. If not for family, work, and other factors, we may have relocated already.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find that we as people often turn to ignorance or stupidity to justify decisions made due to what we perceive as unfair, but very real, SES constraints.
... and there is the entirely superfluous arrogant personal opinion again, only illustrating a perceived higher moral.
If your goals are to have a marginally better Spyder, then keep doing what you're doing. It's perfectly okay. If your goal is to have a car more than marginally better than a Spyder, and you can't afford such a car, then you have to break the law or move.

In your shoes, I'd just move to a place more in line with my values and interests. That is, in fact, what I did recently.

If that were not possible, then I'd break the law, modify my car, and bribe whomever needs to be bribed; but that's from within an American legal system where The People generally have the power to reject unjust laws, both through civil disobedience and through jury nullification. The laws surrounding engine swaps in Spain are certainly unjust as you have described them. I wouldn't feel any moral obligation to obey those laws.
I have moved to this múch more relaxed part of the world 20 years ago :cool:

Sofar I have found a workable balance with the regulations. Because the Spyder is mostly about cornering, the very occasional lust for more power is not a biggy and the lower weight a hoot all of the time!

Have the funds to buy a Yaris GR but I know where that would lead to: No more problems with the periodic inspection but with a lack of points of the driving license and a pile of fines for hooniganisms 😁
Nah, I am ok with the Spyder. Just ´need´ a lighter hood*/rear lid/windschield ;)

* neat example of the periodic inpection: Any mod to the hood even slightly affecting the reinforcing frame is illegal. Also replacing by a cf or grp one can NOT be homologated. That is OEM territory only.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I K-Swapped my Spyder here in NY. No problem with inspection since I am using an engine and ECU that is newer than my original (2003). I do use a "friendly" inspection shop, but the main thing is that when it is hooked up to the NYS inspection computer through the OBD2 port it passes. Using Hondata ECU. The NYS computer asks if the Spyder is an Acura, but the inspection still processes.

Dave

·
Registered
738 Posts
... and there is the entirely superfluous arrogant personal opinion again, only illustrating a perceived higher moral.
It's not an opinion, merely an observation. As for higher morals, I am included within the "we"... as SDSU said"we" choose what laws to obey and how to obey them just as "we" ultimately choose whether or not to enforce them. I await your response explaining what part of that observation is flawed. Different ppl with different life experiences tend to have different observations so it would only make sense that you would be able to articulate the difference in yours.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I K-Swapped my Spyder here in NY. No problem with inspection since I am using an engine and ECU that is newer than my original (2003). I do use a "friendly" inspection shop, but the main thing is that when it is hooked up to the NYS inspection computer through the OBD2 port it passes. Using Hondata ECU. The NYS computer asks if the Spyder is an Acura, but the inspection still processes.

Dave
Congratulations!
Both on the non too simple swap ánd the pass.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Spain isn't for me.
Lived in quite a few countries and the bottom line of all adds up to the same. You find something, you leave something.
The crux is that the different components may be more/less important to different people.

The south of Spain is a bit like southern Florida in the sense of being holiday heaven and pensioners winter paradise.
Tourists pay 100-200€/day to be on holiday here. I live here all year :)

Ok, there are some gripes ofcourse and bureaucracy is one, the annual inspection an example and the impeding privatisation is likely to make it just a bit less anal.
This year I will try arrage testing in the adjourning state where it was privatised years ago. Same rules but more about processing quickly, less OCD about the details. Imo the resulting balance is just that bit more common sense.
Will make a nice country trip with overnighter of it with charming company 😎

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This shit is hilarious.
You know whát is hilarious?
Obligatory some 5 to 10% ethanol in the gasoline so it is oxigenated and cleaner burning only for the ethanol to damage the cat making it less effective over time, leading to obligatory premature replacement....

When the Spyder was designed/produced the ethanol in the fuel was just at the horizon.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ethanol doesn't damage catalytic converters. You can use it on vehicles that run E85. Wrong again!

that being said I agree you would be happier with a different car - perhaps a Lotus Elise or something you can leave stock to avoid headaches at inspection time and meet your requirements.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Obligatory some 5 to 10% ethanol in the gasoline so it is oxigenated and cleaner burning only for the ethanol to damage the cat making it less effective over time, leading to obligatory premature replacement....

When the Spyder was designed/produced the ethanol in the fuel was just at the horizon.
We have ethanol-free fuel available almost everywhere here.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Your article mostly pertains to damage resulting from oil consumption. Majority of damage caused 'from' ethanol blends is actually from water in fuel since ethanol is so hygroscopic. Considering any FlexFuel vehicle comes with the same cat as a normal vehicle, suggesting a small % ethanol would result in cat damage is simply, incorrect. Main point of that article also was that this damage did not affect the ability of the catalyst to pass the emissions cycle testing, although a reduction in the efficiency was observed as expected. None of this would require a vehicle owner to replace a worn out catalyst.

Both my summer vehicles are highly modified and engine swapped. Confused as to which parts of being an automotive enthusiast I don't get? Obnoxiously loud, toxic belching exhaust? Removal of critical safety features and equipment?

I honestly think you would be happier with a different platform, considering the local regulations are so strict. With perhaps some more tasteful modifications of course.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have ethanol-free fuel available almost everywhere here.
Over here in the EU and in the UK we have no info of whether it is in there or not.
E5 means ´up to 5%´
E10 well you get it.
There is nó E0 at the pump.
You need to do your own ´water test´ to be sure. Which I did - ofcourse.
Currently in the area where I live there is óne ´E5´ that has no ethanol. It is marketed as giving extra mileage. Without ethanol, no surprise it does.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts

Odd, my spyder has the original main cat still at 166,000 miles using 10% ethanol from the local Shell station. Knock on wood, it is still working properly. When it fails it will get replaced with another cat. IMHO every little bit helps in reducing pollution so I will do my little part.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts