MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going through my flickr and decided I'd quickly just make a thread to update as I go along.

Starting off, I bought a typical red spyder in GREAT condition, 50,003 miles around July 2011. The interior looked unused, but spider webs and rust plagued some exterior parts from it being left outside so long. I'm still finding spider webs actually...

The Start
Anywhoo how the car started! The normal red spyder!

I told myself I would NOT work on the spyder. One night I couldn't get the smt to shift into neutral...found the forums...and I have been stuck since.

2 weeks and broke down
I got off work at 1130pm to find I was not able to start my 60mile commute home. Dead battery - had to walk a few miles to the nearest walmart for a battery, and a friend picked me up along the way. Forums got the car to neutral, but the car wouldn't start. Little did I know I had several blown fuses, car wasn't going anywhere. 530 in the morning was the end off that hellish night. Tow truck came at 8, shop replaced my fuses at 2, and I was back at work at 3 <_< My first hell with the spyder, but the last time she has ever seen the shop.

Precats
First order of business was getting rid of the precats. So much for not working on the car. No pics of that but it was a loooong day. Thanks to the forums, pb blaster and a new found breaker bar, job was completed nicely; worries set to rest.

Restoration
The next order of business was cleaning my yellow head lights. Felt like that took a few years off of the spider but then it was time to hit those plastics. A few months later I Repainted the plastics, more pics and how to can be found here:
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?49029-Plastic-Paint-Restoration&highlight=restoration

Crisis
Shortly after the paint restoration and midlife crisis, I started to have SMT problems. Foreign knowledge set forth quick panic and I did not think I would get to keep the car that I had started to grow attached too. Car trouble couldn't have come at a worse time, but with the help of great forum members, special thanks to Cap and Plebian, I was able to keep the SMT rolling...HOWEVER power loss, different exhaust tunes..."gargling noises" confused the crap out of me. It through off my diagnosis but the culprit was finally found.

I was experiencing a tear, separate from my SMT problems, but adding to my car troubles. Once it tore completely, I was able to pinpoint the issue and separate and treat the two problems separately. Forums to the rescue again, huge thanks to Zerahvoid for providing me with his old stock exhaust free of charge.

Smooth Sailing since
Now for the fun stuff
With problems out of the way I was able to start making adjustments to the car how I saw fit.
Side Vents
Asked MRSonly to provide with varis style vents, and it was delivered! After getting the vents, just had to send them to get painted and they looked great. Look better on the car! Happy thanksgiving to me!

Now another reason for this thread is so I can document my spyder progress. From Nov-March, I acquired and did things, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were or what I did. I know I put HID's in there at some point, but the next more recent thing I have documented via flickr is my LOVELY audio system.

Audio
Love the audio system. Took a few days to make the box due to me being lazy; however, I will be updating that thread. I am building another box, just to attain higher quality. Here are some pictures and the thread link. Headunit, doors, and subs. Really does sound great...when I'm not in a particular school zone lol.
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...dio-head-unit-door-speakers-and-subs-finished

Wheels
Not much to say here, slapped some Konig Feathers Silver Matte on the spyder with new tires.
16x7 front 17x7 rear. Now I knew I was about to have new wheels so I painted those rusty rotors. Hit the garage and went to work!

Before
They all looked like this

After
Now they all look like this

Recent Photos!
Pre Lowering Springs

Post Lowering Springs
Now yesterday I changed the stock springs with eibachs. Apparently that should only be attempted with a buddy and some airtools :lol: that was a damn workshift.

Thanks for checking out the post. Only thing left is to try to get the stock spoiler by August. Christmas present to myself is the body work and new paint job. Come 2013 I start the fun engine work. 2zz swap, IS coming.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks good, when you start working on these cars it can get kind of addicting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Really nice looking car. I think those side vents are so deep, sexy black that they make the convertible top pale in comparison :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Is that a top secret bumper? When are you going to install that? Did you get a rear lip too for the body kit? I purchased a top secret knock off kit from Ebay years ago and it required some serious fiberglass modifications to make it fix.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What color you gonna paint it?
Well now that i've resurfaced on the forums and have all of the missing parts, (rear lip, spoiler, and cover) car is just waiting for the paint. If I don't keep it the stock 3po red, I will definitely get the Red on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I have the paint code on my other comp, but it is definitely a red that burns my eye everytime it drives by. I think it would fit well on the spyder.

Is that a top secret bumper? When are you going to install that? Did you get a rear lip too for the body kit? I purchased a top secret knock off kit from Ebay years ago and it required some serious fiberglass modifications to make it fix.
Yes it is, and I will probably install it for my birthday in feb, have alot of gifts to get people for christmas. I acquired the rear lip more recently but now i'm just waiting to slap on the final touch since the install and paint job will run a little over 2grand. I don't think I will need too much modification, I bought it from another member and if I'm not mistaken it has already been test fitted on the spyder.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good deal bud just get it done for Spring Fling '13, it's my "deadline" for the setup I want, hopefully next years meet will have a better showing for spyders than this past years.. I need some competition since I'll be shooting for one of those MK3 awards :lol:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOO, doesn't seem like I've been gone from the forums THAT long. Started lurking, and came across this old dusty thing. Forgot it was even posted. Hope all is going well with the Spyder members, and their vehicles. The MRS needs some much needed TLC, so it was time to come back home to the forums. One cannot simply spend time on the Spyder, and not on the forums. Slooowly getting back into the mods, but business startup and car mods don't go hand in hand so the mrs has been on the back burner. Even still, she's alive, I'm alive, we're alive, doing Spyder things.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looking very nice now.. where did you get the toneau from ? Are you going to color match it or just leaving it black ?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
very nice, are you running 16/17" or 17" all around?

16/17 but the ts bumper has made me consider changing sizes once more. Too much gap In the front again. Might just go back to stock springs and a fatter tire, I'm not a fan of ridiculously big wheels on a spyder.

The black has actually grown on me so I will paint the front bumper red, work on a black lip to match the black sides and rear lip.

As for the tonneau cover I jumped on it the moment another member parted their car in Cali. I haven't seen any others.

I have a stock rear spoiler as well, but I haven't felt like installing it. Most likely will paint that with the car whenever I finally get to it. Paint job done right still escapes my budget.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks like a nice fit on the bumper! Is it Top Secret or knock off? Either way it looks great! Nice job finding a tonneau cover....took me years to find mine. Need to add some more pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You should consider idea to make a moulding for tonneau and replicate the tonneau. Many of us would like to buy this.. You can make some money out of it too..

·
Registered
633 Posts
How would one go about making a mold of a tonneau cover? Who would I bring mine to? Would making a mold of my tonneau cover potentially ruin mine if they botched the mold making procedure somehow?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts