MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a new stereo that needs a continuous 12V intake but my MK3 2001 cut that power when I take the key out. Is there any wire I can bypass easily to get that power to the radio?

Thanks,

Paulo Soares

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Hi,

I have a new stereo that needs a continuous 12V intake but my MK3 2001 cut that power when I take the key out. Is there any wire I can bypass easily to get that power to the radio?

Thanks,

Paulo Soares
The factory harness wires for the stereo has a 12 volt continuous wire already. I forgot which color it is but to find out is simple by as using a multi-meter and testing the wires to find out.

Some of the higher power head units that have internal amps require you to run a 12 volt supply directly from the battery. Please ready the owners manual to determine if this is the case.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
It's cyan with a yellow stripe.
I assumed from the original post that this wire was unsuitable for some reason.
It's been so long that I forgot. My headunit is powered straight from the battery even though it probably does not consume as much as the stock unit. The factory wiring is so puny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try all your suggestions

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll try to find on the original harness one that has continuous power, on the absence of that (My car is european), the suggestion for the hazard switch is a god alternative solution.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just pull the keys out and start licking wires. One will present itself in a way that it will never be forgotten.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll try to find on the original harness one that has continuous power, on the absence of that (My car is european), the suggestion for the hazard switch is a god alternative solution.
I would stay away from the hazard button because it is too small and may not be correctly fused.
I would find a proper live 12 volt connection that is fused.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
The white wire going to the Hazard switch is fused at 15A, and must power the signal lights on all four corners of the car. Current flows in that wire ONLY when the hazard flasher is activated: that is to say, never. It's essentially unused.

The real problem is getting to it!
15A is plenty sufficient. I guess it would be ideal in that case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts