MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 225/50/15 rear & 205/50/15 Toyo T1R's wearing out.When I switched to this size the car felt heavier to turn in but I got ued to it and I like the look of fat tires.This is a spirited daily driver with occasional autocrossing .I live in FL no snow ,heavy rain.I have read threads that say this is not the best size to use,that it is better to not use 225's as they roll on the rims.The Potenzas seem very popular. Advice & attitude welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Toyo T1R's read as having soft sidewalls meaning less feel in the steering wheel.
I would say it depends on your budget, needs and wants. From the TR site and 195/50-15 would fit a 7" wide rim. Personally I will go with 195/50 and 205/50 on 15x6.5 wheels using RE-11's. I am less concerned with looks, what I am after is feel and performance. Currently I have OEM RE-040's with good tread.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you carlbecker,
The softer sidewalls create a softer ride ,do the RE-11's create a significantly harsher ,jarring road ride?I am old & have a bad back.
I know there are not many 15" anymore,what is the difference between the RE-11 & the RE=040's?
I see that you say OEM are they unavailable.
Also is the slightly less stagger much of an issue.I know it will create more oversteer?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Thank you carlbecker,
The softer sidewalls create a softer ride ,do the RE-11's create a significantly harsher ,jarring road ride?I am old & have a bad back.
I know there are not many 15" anymore,what is the difference between the RE-11 & the RE=040's?
Also is the slightly less stagger much of an issue.I know it will create more oversteer?
I purchased the car with RE-040's which is one of the OEM tires that came with a new MR2 spyder. 040's are still available but I don't think they are a good value and will not purchase them. The 040's don't seem to have good wet grip so far from my driving. I have yet to use 011's but everything I have found to read suggests they are the tire for me. TireRack has a review as well as internet sites and of course here. My spyder is a bit firm but not harsh, I use Koni struts with stock springs. The T1R's read as a very good tire just missing steering wheel response. Response is what I want to keep.

I am sure changing stagger changes the balance of the car and I have not used different sizes yet but I have played with the alignment, camber and toe a bit. When I do get RE-11's I will be changing camber again. I have yet to experience the limit of adhesion in the dry so my experience is limited.

You might want to spend a few hours using the search feature to get a better idea of what might suit you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After much searching on & off this site there's not much out there.
I found the Dunlop star spec's they looked good,looked at the khumo's and BF.Goodrich G sports couldn't find much else.
Opinion's are like A**holes not everyones using RE-11's,come on guy's a little more help .
Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
You didnt mention what width your wheels are. This would be an important detail as it will change the way a particular width tyre will perform on them. General rule of thumb is to convert the wheel width to millimeters and find a tyre size closest to that which will give the best wheel to tyre relationship.

As you said, if your tyre is too wide for the rim you will loose feel as the sidewall becomes softer and the tyre will deform more under cornering loads. The only case where this would be desirable in performance driving is drag racing. Making sure the contact patch is the same width as the wheels will alow the wheel rim to bolster the side walls under cornering and keep the edges of the tyre on the road better.

your 205's would best suit an 8 inch wide wheel and the 225 should be on a 9 inch wide wheel.

If you dont do too many km's Advan Neova AD08's shouldnt be forgotten about.

So what size are the wheels that you wish to mount the new tyres on?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I purchased my '02 a little over a year ago. It had 040's on it and I loved the "steering on rails" feel, but the tread was almost gone. When I had to replace the tires it was the same time when the Tsunami hit Japan and all Bridgestone and Yokohama 185/55/R15 and 205/50/15's were out of stock and back ordered 6 months. I ended up w/ BF Goodrich G-Force 195/55/R15 and 215/50/R15's. They are much softer in the sidewalls and less responsive but have pretty good wet road traction. I have learned to compensate for this but don't really like it. However, not being made of money, I will suffer through them until I need a new set. Then I think I'll try the Yokohama S-Drives.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didnt mention what width your wheels are. This would be an important detail as it will change the way a particular width tyre will perform on them. General rule of thumb is to convert the wheel width to millimeters and find a tyre size closest to that which will give the best wheel to tyre relationship.

As you said, if your tyre is too wide for the rim you will loose feel as the sidewall becomes softer and the tyre will deform more under cornering loads. The only case where this would be desirable in performance driving is drag racing. Making sure the contact patch is the same width as the wheels will alow the wheel rim to bolster the side walls under cornering and keep the edges of the tyre on the road better.

your 205's would best suit an 8 inch wide wheel and the 225 should be on a 9 inch wide wheel.
It's in the title 15x7

If you dont do too many km's Advan Neova AD08's shouldnt be forgotten about.

So what size are the wheels that you wish to mount the new tyres on?
It's in the title 15x7 .their offset is within 2mm of stock

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Thank you carlbecker,
I just went with the re11 option, am 61 and have arthritis in my spine. No problems, they're a little more "bouncy" than the previous set, but not bad.

And you can get them at COSTCO for good prices. They're about .1" taller in the rear, .3" shorter in the front, .8" wider in the front and .4" wider in the rear if I remember. Search for my user name and re11 I think I posted the sizes and measurements, with weights at one point.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's in the title 15x7 .their offset is within 2mm of stock
Oh durr lol.

Well for a 7 inch rim you should be looking at 185 wide tyres then, which probably wont be wide enough so you'd have to compromise for a 205. ( im talking here about rim width vs tire width relationship being at its best )

I can see why 225's felt mushy then on a 7 inch wide rim. As i was saying before, 225's would be better suited to a 9 inch wide rim.

Brand/model wise though i'd suggest Yokohama S.drive or for something for best grip but still a street tire then go for Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

If you are wanting to run staggered tyres though, they really should be on staggered rims to match otherwise you will end up with the wider rear tire behaving quite differently to the front.

·
Registered
963 Posts
225's on a 7in rim isn't ideal as it's the absolute minimum width for most street tires, especially with today's ultra wide street tires. But, they will still usually be faster than a 205 if that matters to you at all.

If you want to run 205's all around, your top choices would be RE-11, Dunlops Star specs, or Yokos AD08. I prefer the Dunlops over the Bridgestones by a pretty large margin but that's because I like stiffer sidewalls. No experience with Yokos but they tend to do better on heavier cars.

I don't know how soon you're needing tires but both Bridgestone and Dunlop are coming out with new models soon so you might be able to get the older ones on closeout.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guy's.I like the stagger.So the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star spec's come in 195/50/15 front and 205/50/15,how would that fit well.I tried to find the weight on their site but was unable,nybody know?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well heres some conversions for you

195mm = 7.68 inches
205mm = 8.07 inches

This should help you see where im getting my reasoning for tire width vs rim width.

The Weights for the tires are 19lbs and 21lbs

My reference below...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&tireMake=Dunlop

tire rack is good for stuff like that :p

PS. OMG at the prices on tire rack.. you guys can get tires in the states ridiculously cheap. Advan AD08 and Star Spec's at just over $100 each. We'd be paying 3 times that at a tire store in aus. I know where i'll be getting tires next time, even with shipping it'll still be cheaper by like 50%

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks guy's.I like the stagger.So the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star spec's come in 195/50/15 front and 205/50/15,how would that fit well.I tried to find the weight on their site but was unable,nybody know?
Is 10mm of stagger significant? Doubt it. I think the stock stagger was initially 20mm and then 30mm in later models when they introduced the 16" rear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is 10mm of stagger significant? Doubt it. I think the stock stagger was initially 20mm and then 30mm in later models when they introduced the 16" rear.
I thought the rears were still 205's even on the 16's ??

You'd be surprised i think.

If its just an every day car that you dont truly test the limits of, just some spirited driving then you may as well just run a square setup so that you can rotate the tyres and get eaven wear. I doubt the average driver would notice the 20mm either.

But for on the limit driving i think that a decent staggered setup will give better performance and feel. Because theres about 10% difference in width between a 185 and 205 ( stock sizes ) ... which could translate to a potential 10% difference in grip. Thats quite significant when you look at the overall balance of the car.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the rears were still 205's even on the 16's ??

You'd be surprised i think.

If its just an every day car that you dont truly test the limits of, just some spirited driving then you may as well just run a square setup so that you can rotate the tyres and get eaven wear. I doubt the average driver would notice the 20mm either.

But for on the limit driving i think that a decent staggered setup will give better performance and feel. Because theres about 10% difference in width between a 185 and 205 ( stock sizes ) ... which could translate to a potential 10% difference in grip. Thats quite significant when you look at the overall balance of the car.
Thanks .
So you think the 205 Dunlops all the way around.I like the look of fat tires.
My Toyo's are so old that oversteer is just a push of the go pedal away,but with new tires it will be different.I don't put a lot of milage on my tires(Toyo's so far)but the Fl sun gets to them & they crack.
I like the weights of the dunlops though there lighter than my Toyo's.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well heres some conversions for you

195mm = 7.68 inches
205mm = 8.07 inches

This should help you see where im getting my reasoning for tire width vs rim width.

The Weights for the tires are 19lbs and 21lbs

My reference below...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&tireMake=Dunlop

tire rack is good for stuff like that :p

PS. OMG at the prices on tire rack.. you guys can get tires in the states ridiculously cheap. Advan AD08 and Star Spec's at just over $100 each. We'd be paying 3 times that at a tire store in aus. I know where i'll be getting tires next time, even with shipping it'll still be cheaper by like 50%
You don't need to do those conversions,well actually you shouldn't. Tires all measure differnently, even within the same company. Just look at the tire rack spec sheet for tread width and/or minimum wheel requirements

A square 205 dunlop setup will be fine

·
Registered
506 Posts
I see. I was originally thinking of RE-11s, but starting looking around and the Star Specs do appear to have a lot of fans in the Miata scene too as a summer tyre.

Is there much between the RE-11s and Star Specs purely in terms of dry grip?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts