MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought new rotors and need new pads I don't do anything crazy in terms to driving but want decent pads low brake dust and a reasonable price ....

Suggestions please.

·
Registered
782 Posts
OEM pads, they last forever and no or very little brake dust!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill give the OEM a shoot I bought the car from a previous owner and he had the duralast on the car

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ill give the OEM a shoot I bought the car from a previous owner and he had the duralast on the car
When I bought mine used it had aftermarket pads and they drove me nuts, after washing the car I just had to drive down the street and my wheels were covered with dust. Installed stock pads on all 4 corners this winter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THE OEM PADS are semi-metallic right?

Why shouldn't I go with a ceramic type pad since the word on the streets is CERAMIC pads are the best?

What over the counter brand should I go with that won't brake my wallet.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
THE OEM PADS are semi-metallic right?

Why shouldn't I go with a ceramic type pad since the word on the streets is CERAMIC pads are the best?

What over the counter brand should I go with that won't brake my wallet.

Thanks guys
OEM pads are organic and work great. There is no need to go ceramic.
Ceramic pads are not the best.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
OK, look, I don't understand why this topic keeps coming up.

When you mash the pads do your ABS engage? If it feels like your brake pedal is trying to hump your foot then that's your ABS engaging. Your ABS is engaging because if it didn't then you would lock up one or more of your wheels causing you, in all likelihood, to catastrophically lose control of your car. If your ABS is engaging that is because your stock brake pads are generating more stopping force than your tires can cope with. If you were to buy pads with a higher friction coefficient then guess what, you're still going to hit the ABS and you aren't going to stop any quicker. in fact, you may stop slower as high end pads require heat to brake at full force.

If you answered yes to the above question then why in the name of Christ do you need 'better' brake pads?

Are you experiencing brake fade? Brake fade is when the pedal gets very spongy feeling and your stopping distance progressively gets longer and longer.

If you answered yes then there is something horribly wrong with your brake system. You cannot get brake fade on the street in an MR2 Spyder. Anyone who says otherwise is either a liar, or there is something wrong with their brake system.

The only valid reasons for upgrading brake pads is:
1. Coming to terms with the fact you are a ricer, admitting as much in your first post, and asking for ricer tips; or
2. You track your MR2 competitively; or
3. You bought slotted and/or drilled rotors, which will make your brake SLOWER because you subtracted surface area between the friction surface and the disk, and you need a higher friction pad to compensate.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Amen!

OK, look, I don't understand why this topic keeps coming up.

When you mash the pads do your ABS engage? If it feels like your brake pedal is trying to hump your foot then that's your ABS engaging. Your ABS is engaging because if it didn't then you would lock up one or more of your wheels causing you, in all likelihood, to catastrophically lose control of your car. If your ABS is engaging that is because your stock brake pads are generating more stopping force than your tires can cope with. If you were to buy pads with a higher friction coefficient then guess what, you're still going to hit the ABS and you aren't going to stop any quicker. in fact, you may stop slower as high end pads require heat to brake at full force.

If you answered yes to the above question then why in the name of Christ do you need 'better' brake pads?

Are you experience brake fade? Brake fade is when the pedal gets very spongy feeling and your stopping distance progressively gets longer and longer.

If you answered yes then there is something horribly wrong with your brake system. You cannot get brake fade on the street in an MR2 Spyder. Anyone who says otherwise is either a liar, or there is something wrong with their brake system.

The only valid reasons for upgrading brake pads is:
1. Coming to terms with the fact you are a ricer, admitting as much in your first post, and asking for ricer tips; or
2. You track your MR2 competitively; or
3. You bought slotted and/or driller rotors, which will make your brake SLOWER because you subtracted surface area between the friction surface and the disk, and you need a higher friction pad to compensate.
Very well said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts