MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of the door windows are leaking water, at the 1 inch ss metal piece, on the weather strip, where the door window meets the front windsheld.ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO SOLVE THIS?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get some Shin Etsu from your local Honda dealer. Some dealers have it listed at $12 online. Ask your local dealer to price match, since list price is like $30+.

dry <--- ---> shin etsu'd

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i have the same problem... only thing i did was tighten up the top latches to make it leak less than it was. now i just have a leak at the same spot on each side but its only on 1 spot. no idea how imma fix it

·
Registered
802 Posts
Like I said, go buy some shin etsu. Makes your rubber seals look and seal like new. Supposedly doesn't destroy them like other silicones/etc can (over time).

If that doesn't work, you can adjust the window angles and top latches, but if your seals have never been conditioned then you're just going to cause more damage my crushing them together even harder.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get some Shin Etsu from your local Honda dealer. Some dealers have it listed at $12 online. Ask your local dealer to price match, since list price is like $30+.

dry <--- ---> shin etsu'd

IMG
WOW. its funny because that same exact rubber piece on my car looks like crap. its all white and dried out looking. damn i'm going to pick some of this stuff up. thanks

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Like I said, go buy some shin etsu. Makes your rubber seals look and seal like new. Supposedly doesn't destroy them like other silicones/etc can (over time).

If that doesn't work, you can adjust the window angles and top latches, but if your seals have never been conditioned then you're just going to cause more damage my crushing them together even harder.
This is a new product to me. I went to the shinetzu website and they have several products. Do I buy the product that is described as a silicone grease? How is the product used? Do you put it on thick and leave it for a while so it can penetrate, or just wipe it on and wipe it off? How often do you use the product? Please tell more. Thanks in advance for your input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is a new product to me. I went to the shinetzu website and they have several products. Do I buy the product that is described as a silicone grease? How is the product used? Do you put it on thick and leave it for a while so it can penetrate, or just wipe it on and wipe it off? How often do you use the product? Please tell more. Thanks in advance for your input. Much appreciated.
They have all kinds of stuff on their website, and I couldn't find the window seal grease last time I looked. You could call them, but you'd probably need to speak Japanese =p

If you want to order online, it's available at Bernardi or HandA (scroll down, look for white/green tube)
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Etsu-Grease__08798-9013.aspx
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03maint.html

I wipe it on and try to massage it into the rubber. Let it sit for a bit, then wipe clean. Your windows might get a bit greasy where they touch the seal, but you can keep window cleaner with you if you're anal about it. That goes away by itself eventually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They have all kinds of stuff on their website, and I couldn't find the window seal grease last time I looked.

I wipe it on and try to massage it into the rubber. Let it sit for a bit, then wipe clean. Your windows might get a bit greasy where they touch the seal, but you can keep window cleaner with you if you're anal about it. That goes away by itself eventually.
The reason Honda uses it is to treat the rubber door seals.....it works great in restoring door/top seals. I used it exclusively on my T-Top seals....it stopped all of the leaks except for the drains...but that wasn't the treatment's fault.

This stuff works great. From what I read when I first found it, unlike a lot of treatments, it is absorbed into the material....makes it look almost brand new. Since I had the tube already, it was put on the spyder as soon as she got her first wash......Great stuff.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Great information to have. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll order me some of dat stuff right now. :lol:

They have all kinds of stuff on their website, and I couldn't find the window seal grease last time I looked. You could call them, but you'd probably need to speak Japanese =p

If you want to order online, it's available at Bernardi or HandA (scroll down, look for white/green tube)
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Etsu-Grease__08798-9013.aspx
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03maint.html

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Well i bought some of this back when i first read here about it, did i need it?! probably not but then again i've never put any care towards the seals, so it cannot hurt it by doing it now.

So i've just finished applying this to all the seal areas around the doors and the trim where the hardtop attaches, i bought the big tube but you dont need that much, when applying, little is more!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts