MR2 SpyderChat banner

Need help deciding what soft top to buy (material)

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  pwnzor 
#1 ·
I'm seein in ebay that the tops comes in vinyl twill and cloth. I already reed a topic about the soft tops but I still dont know what material to buy :confused:

#2 ·
It all depends what you like, I had a vinyl original one before and liked it a lot. A rip started in it and I replaced it with a canvas stayfast material one. I like the looks of the canvas ones a lot better but the vinyl was pretty much maintenance free. Can't really say for the canvas one as I just put it on.
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?48403-How-many-of-you-have-replaced-your-own-top
This tread talks a little about it, I ordered the Gahh one that a member recommended in this tread.

#3 ·
I just cant decide the maintenance free is a big advantage to me since I sometimes dont wash the car a lot. but I would like the top to last....

#4 ·
Mine is parked in the garage most of the time, it hibernates for 7 months out of the year and I have a hard top so it's different for me. I did PM the other member who recommended the gahh canvas and he claimed: "I had the cloth on my 02 that I have sold recently. When the vinyl wears out on my 04, the cloth will go back on. I picked GAHH as they were recommended as being the best fitting top, not the least expensive. It fold down like a dream. What I did notice though, is it will "mark" a little bit in the crease on the sides. Didn't bother me though. I just cleaned mine with a brush and water. I NEVER had any problems with it at all."

#6 ·
My original Spyder still has the OEM (vinyl) top after 12 years. It's doing fine. I scrub it and apply 303 Aerospace Protectant once a year. It is not parked outside.

My second Spyder (bought used) has a fabric top of unknown origin. The water repellancy must be renewed at least once a year (303 High Tech Fabric Guard), which is a messy job. This car is not parked outside, either.

As I've said several times on here:
Either vinyl or fabric will keep the water out.
Take your pick.
in ebay they are plenty of soft top available making it difficult to choose

#7 ·
PR Spyder. There is a guy in Mayaguez that makes tops. He did the top for my fathers Jeep and it was cheap. My dad and I were talking about him making me a top but I told him that someone would have to go with there car and then he could make one for me. If your interested let me know. I'll ask my dad to send me a pic of his top and I'll post it. Maybe from yours he can prototype one for me :

#8 ·
making a new top will use the same frame. I will like to have the new frame springs of the top latches are fatigued already

#10 ·
Only if you have millions and order it from your toyota dealer.

#11 ·
From viewing an install DVD a top replacement is just the material with the rear glass and nothing else.

I would choose the material based on budget and usage. If the top is only used above 60 degrees then it will be easy up and down. Below that fabric. It looks like my 2001 has the original top and the car may have been garage kept. It still looks and works fine except when cool. Because I put the top down when ever possible I will be changing to fabric this fall. I prefer fabric for looks but that is a minor point for me as well as durability and cleaning. My priority is easy up and down all seasons in Northern Virginia. I had some snow flakes come in this March which was quite funny!

#14 ·
I replaced my original vinyl top to canvas cloth. I like the cloth for the looks but it shows all the straps and some wrinkles here and there. The vinyl is thicker so it shows less "stuff" through the fabric. If its black it probably won't matter cuz you can't see all the wrinkles, etc. I'll probably switch to vinyl after a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.