MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years ago my husband took my car to a shop for a simple oil change. Well!! They forgot to put the oil back in the car. Yea you guessed it a new engine. Not as simple as you would think. Toyota tells me that there is no way I can have the VIN number I have. That my car should not even be here in the states. Well after a month of arguning I finally get an engine. Get that done. Then it wont shift right so we replace the whole clutch system. Still wont shift right. So they come up with replacing the transmission control mod. Well now it runs right and shifts with out throwing you threw the windshield but now it beeps all the time and the tranmission light comes on. I have not had my car for over 3 years cause nobody can get it fixed. I love my baby car and would love to be able to drive it again. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is all. Man if that fixes it I am going be sooooo happy!!!! Thank you I will do that now!!!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Do this on an empty road:
1. Warm up your car, until coolant temp gauge is horizontal
2. On a straight stretch of road, put car into 1st and start moving
3. At an appropriate point, shift directly from 1st into 3rd (hit the shift button twice)
4. In 3rd gear, accellerate to over 3000rpm, then lift off throttle. Let car coast in 3rd gear (without applying brakes) until rpms drop below 3000rpm and downshift into 2nd gear. Again, let car coast in 2nd gear until rpm falls below 2000rpm.
5. Apply brakes and stop car.
Repeat steps 1 through 5 three times.

Step 6. Avoid jiffy lube like the plague
Step 7. Don't let anyone work on your spyder!
Step 8. Let us know if the relearn was successful.
Step 9. Welcome to spyderchat!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If you think that Procedure is Funny, you Otta see the Program New Keys Procedure!!.

You Swear it's a Snipe Hunt.

Cap

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Definitly avoid the "jiffy lube" type oil changes. If you cant get it done yourself try a reputrable Toyota dealer other than the one you are using.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you think that Procedure is Funny, you Otta see the Program New Keys Procedure!!.

You Swear it's a Snipe Hunt.

Cap
The Toyota people are still laughing about making us do that dance.
Programming a new remote, or changing the settings is also a strange dance, some what akin to voodoo, only thing missing is chicken blood, but it works. :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome! THank goodness the gang here had an answer to your issue - please post an update and let us know how it went!

I always take my Spyder to a fantastic Toyota dealership here in town, and they take great care of my car. However, one time they did not get the oil cap on tight enough, and there I was on the freeway when all of a sudden oil started spraying out of the back of my car. First of all, the people behind me were PISSED as all heck, but at least that alerted me to pull over immediately.

Well, luckily, the dealer came right away and flatbed-towed the car back, and they went through the whole thing top to bottom - all was fine, I didn't drive it enough to lose all the oil. So, even the best dealerships COULD possibly have a mishap. But like they are saying in these posts, having either a really GOOD dealer/mechanic or just yourself (if you are so inclined) do the work is the best way. Those "express" places are the devil! LOL.....

Mike

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Those "express" places are the devil! LOL.....

Mike
Junior High drop-outs need a job too!

"Do you want fries with that oil change?"

On a serious note, even a factory dealership needs to be told exactly what they are to do to a car, and not just told to "service" it.

Previous owner could't even tell me what kind of oil was in the Spyder.

His response: "It's whatever the dealership puts in it."

Not a good enough answer for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts