MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I came across a local machine shop that has had a 2zz engine from a celica GT-S that has been sitting in the shop for a few years, and he wants to get rid of it. The engine had ingested water, hydro-locked, and bent a few rods. He replaced the engine for the customer under the customers insurance policy, and the engine has been in his shop ever since. I know how much running 2zz's go for, but not one that needs an entire bottom end. Where should I start as far as offering a price for the engine? I had some concerns about the cylinder liners and the condition of the engine minus the obviously damaged parts, and he said that he would open it up and guarantee that it would be rebuildable which is nice. This would be a great candidate for what I want to do if its rebuildable. :icon_twisted:

So what do you think spyder chatters? How much do you think its worth?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it.

I'm still gonna go tear it apart and see what it looks like, but I'm not planning on spending three digits on it. I agree with you guys, its more of a convenience for him at this point than a deal for me. I just need a good core for a 2.0 liter stroker motor..

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm still gonna go tear it apart and see what it looks like, but I'm not planning on spending three digits on it. I agree with you guys, its more of a convenience for him at this point than a deal for me. I just need a good core for a 2.0 liter stroker motor..
Trade him a few sixers? Man law enables the barter system for such things.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call. I'll have to engage in some casual conversation to see what he likes hahah.

Trade him a few sixers? Man law enables the barter system for such things.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I will give it to you straight.
If you cannot determine if it is a candidate to be rebuilt into a stroker you have no business building a stroker 2zz motor.
What I am trying to say is trust no one especially someone that is unloading something on you.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's settled, I'll offer some beer and the convenience of me taking it out of his shop. He was saying that he is cleaning out his shop and really just want's it gone. Who knows maybe it will be a good deal, if not oh well. I've burned up more beer money on less promising ventures. hahah

I'm with the "take it off his hands if he'll share a 6 pack with you and help load it in your truck" crowd.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Word. That's why I'm gonna go down there and pull the oil pan and head off to see how it looks. I don't plan on spending any more than beer money on this thing though. Thanks for the advice guys.

I will give it to you straight.
If you cannot determine if it is a candidate to be rebuilt into a stroker you have no business building a stroker 2zz motor.
What I am trying to say is trust no one especially someone that is unloading something on you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.