MR2 SpyderChat banner

Need help with this light bulb

5K views 86 replies 10 participants last post by  randyinrocklin 
#1 ·
The milky white one at the bottom of the housing here... never turns on. I replaced them because I thought they were burned out, but surprise - they still don't turn on. My high beam bulb comes on when the car is running, at low intensity, in the manner of a running light - which is what I thought these small bulbs were supposed to be.

Owner's manual says nada about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are the city / parking lights. They should be on when your hit the first click of the headlights & all of the parking lights are on. They also stay on when the low beams are on, however they are not DRLs. Since I upgraded to PFL headlights in my '01 I use them as DRLs by running with the parking lights on but that is not how they are intended.

Reactions: randyinrocklin
#3 ·
You’re not afraid of being judged for driving with parking lights on? 🙃
I only really judge people driving at night with their parking lights on. Although it has happened to me because in many cars the “headlight” indicator on the dash is the same for either parking lights or low beams, and it got knocked back to parking lights somehow.

#7 ·
You’re not afraid of being judged for driving with parking lights on? [emoji854]
I only really judge people driving at night with their parking lights on. Although it has happened to me because in many cars the “headlight” indicator on the dash is the same for either parking lights or low beams, and it got knocked back to parking lights somehow.
I like to live on the edge of social norms [emoji6] TBH I like the idea of more visibility by having the parking lights, side markers, and tail lights illuminated, especially since most of those bulbs are now LEDs. Definitely full headlights at night though, those things don't give any quality illumination.

+1 that if you have LED bulbs flipped the wrong way in the socket they will not light up

Reactions: TimTheViking
#8 ·
They are LED's but the old bulbs were not. When I took the old ones out, they were clearly still good bulbs.

I'll try flipping them around, but what are the odds I got them both in backward? I guess we'll see. I won't be back home until Wednesday... I'm on yet another marathon drive in the barge.

#12 ·
but what are the odds I got them both in backward
25% [emoji6]

Not sure what to make of it if they are actually non functioning as a wiring issue and tbh if every other bulb functioned correctly I don’t think I would take too much effort to chase it

#20 ·
And proud to be in that club. Those LED parking lights look cool. Only my high beams work and I stopped the flickering with a capacitor. So I have an LED in the parking light socket and I drive around in the twilight with LED/parking lights on(the cops in CA don't care anymore). The only reason for DRL is to warn drivers from oncoming traffic from passing slow pokes on a two lane hwy, at least you can see them head on, but you can accomplish the same thing by turning on your headlights.

#21 ·
I've got HID low beams, halogen high beams, regular turn signals & brake lights...all other bulbs are LEDs. I think it looks pretty good & tbh it's an easy cop out around any flickering LED issues

#22 ·
I have HID low beams also. I have LED high beams only. No combination DRL and LED parking lights. I'm too lazy to replace the bulbs in the other areas for now until bulb burns out which is never. I finally replace a bulb in my Supra since I bot it brand new in 12/86 after 20 years. (rear tail lights, license plate light and side markers, still going strong after 30years)

#24 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate your thoughts. I've given up on LEDs for the DRLs, so I got one setup for high beams only, which is fine by me. I got the LEDs to work on the parking lights and they light up with the headlamps on low beams so I'm cool with it. Maybe there's a solution to this issue sometime in the future. The stock DRL bulbs are so wimpy, :(.

#27 ·
You are correct. I misstated my comment earlier. The DRL is the same bulb as the high beam bulb. I replaced it with a LED bulb and attached a capacitor to stop the flickering in DRL mode, but the LED does not work in DRL mode with the capacitor coupling, so I'm ok with that setup, it just lights up on high beam without flickering. I have LEDs in the parking light socket and use the parking light mode to light up the LED. The LED parking lights up with my halogen low beams. Until I find a way to stop the flickering in DRL mode I'm happy with the setup for now. As you correctly stated that the voltages are different in the two modes so the LEDs are not currently designed to accommodate the voltage variation.

#26 ·
I use a newer halogen bulb as my high beam bulb. It requires minimal modification to trim the plastic tab that screws it into place & it’s still yellow in color(probably 4K or so) however the light output is incredible and it supposedly uses less power than a traditional halogen bulb. If you’re going for that aesthetic premium upgrade look for the DRLs this bulb won’t do it. If you want great visibility with the high beams then it fits the bill perfectly

#34 ·
I checked out the site and they are offering 50 bucks for the H3/9005 bulb which is what I am looking for. Have experienced any flickering issues, since every one of these LED bulbs have flickering issues. I tried them all. Hikari, Sealtite, a few others and they all flicker on the DRL mode. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

#35 ·
Wait, why do you need a 9005? I thought you were looking for an H4, which fits the 00-02 headlights.

Yes so far there's no way to get rid of flickering with the Spyder because it uses an odd DRL system. Gotta disable DRLs with LEDs unfortunately. HIDs too. On 00-02 models the DRLs are worthless anyway, it uses the low beam which isn't easily visible (because it's designed not to glare, when DRLs are SUPPOSED to glare).

#36 ·
Halo buddy, I have an '04 so I'm trying to find an LED that does not flicker. I have not found the perfect fit yet in my quest. And thank you for your efforts in aiding my predicament, as I appreciate cyclehead, souric( I can't remember his handle correctly), and you for all your knowledge and sharing your knowledge with us spyder "newbies".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.