MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, am new here and am from a small island call Mauritius 馃嚥馃嚭,

1. I have a Toyota Avensis (T-250) 2003, which had the 3ZZ 1.6 engine. The engine got some knocking noise in 2016 and had to change the engine to a 1ZZ.
2. The 1ZZ worked perfectly for 6 years then got the knocking noise again and now I have to change the engine again (mechanic(s) opinions).
3. Started looking for a 1ZZ and opted to search for a JDM one. Found only one on the market = 1ZZ-T52. According to the shop, it is from a celica (t-23 imo) year 04-05, and supposedly it is from Japan.

Questions:
A. Is the 1ZZ-T52 really a JDM engine?
B. Will my ecu work perfectly with the 1ZZ-T52? I currently have a E1Z-T72, the 1zz variant which is used on Avensis in the USA and UK, apparently.
C. Anyone can tell me the difference between all of these models of 1ZZ Engine? Are they JDMs etc? Are the mounts the same?

1Zz-J20
1Zz-L20
E1Z-T72
1ZZ-T52
1ZZ-R52
1Zz-C20Y

Some pictures of the 1ZZ-T52 engine, I am buying:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Engineering Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Building Automotive exterior Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't use that engine. looks like it was used as a boat anchor and already burning a ton of oil out of the exhaust
It is around $342. There is no other engine like this on the markets right now. But i will try to see if i can get it pristine clean before using it.

Registered
The outside of the engine doesn't matter as much as the inside. An ugly engine that doesn't burn oil is better than a clean looking engine that does burn oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The outside of the engine doesn't matter as much as the inside. An ugly engine that doesn't burn oil is better than a clean looking engine that does burn oil.
yeah showed the picture to a mechanic. He said that the seeming rustiness is not an issue and there is no need for me to get it cleaned. On other note, I am quite surprised that there is no information at all on the variants on 1ZZ engine and which ones are JDM and which ones are not.

Here is what i gathered so far;

1Zz-J20 < JDM
1Zz-L20 <JDM
E1Z-T72 < Not JDM
1ZZ-T52 < Celina T23 JDM
1ZZ-R52 < for Rav4
1Zz-C20Y < For corolla/matrix

Registered
I was mostly talking about the burned oil soot coming out of the manifold. But for $342 and slim choices, send it.
Just because the exhaust ports are black with soot does not mean it is burning oil. Every modern engine running on unleaded gas will have black exhaust ports. Just a consequence of the fact that less than 100% of the fuel burns in the combustion chamber.

Dave

Registered
Just because the exhaust ports are black with soot does not mean it is burning oil. Every modern engine running on unleaded gas will have black exhaust ports. Just a consequence of the fact that less than 100% of the fuel burns in the combustion chamber.

Dave
That's oil in the header collector. And those are the intake ports (with the oil in them)

Registered
I disagree with TeeMS.

Sounds like you got a deal. Last year I bought a very similar JDM engine and swapped the factory spyder exhaust and wiring back onto it. I had to plug a coolant hose and it fit great.

While the engine is out you may want to clean the throttle body and IACV. Also get a new set of OEM O2 sensors and a new MAF, coils and spark plugs. That way you won鈥檛 have to worry about them.

Registered
look at the pictures again. the engine shows signs of oil burning in the header collector and the 4 black INTAKE ports shows large amounts of oil getting sucked through the PCV. you know exactly what those symptoms mean. a healthy engine will have chalk black/gray soot in the exhaust, and a very light layer film of oil in 1 or 2 intake ports from the pcv.

you can disagree all you want those are facts... but for the price of the engine and limited selection I said SEND IT

Registered
Rings (and pistons if there pre-2003 pistons), bearings and valve seals before I'd consider putting that nasty thing in. Look at the goo-goo a the exit end of the manifold. I'd also deal with the precats. If you don't know what you doing with a rebuild pay someone who does.

Registered
I'd also like to see the inside bore of the throttle body.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a couple of months. Just wanted to give an update. I didn't put the 1ZZ engine referred in my post. I got a 3ZZ from 2008, barely used. Anyway, the difference in performance is greatly remarkable, though. The 1ZZ I had previously was so powerful especially in top speed compared to the 3ZZ. I could keep up with the BMW's and Range Rovers' etc on the highway. Sadly, now I just have to move to the slower lanes after some full beaming from the rearview mirror.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts