MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought part 08586-17950 which is a TVIP KIT MR2..it is a radar sensor with a bracket and a switch that goes on the dash to turn off the radar sensor..it has a splice wire connector, some foam pieces and a couple of screws and bolts as well as some ties and stickers for the windows...any help would be appreciated..thanks, eric

p.s. i called a dealer and they said it makes the factory remote system into an alarm system.
i think the 03 mr2's on already have the alarm but it needs to be activated some how.
I saw an article where 03 tundras had this and all you had to do is disconnect a wire
under the dash and you had an alarm just without the radar sensor..interesting...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have an 03 and it has the factory installed alarm. I have a button in the same area as the door lock with a symbol of an MR2 with a couple of waves coming out of it. It's been set off by hard rain, opening the ash tray, and by me moving around in the car once it was activated. It's weird. When I bought my car I had to buy new remotes and they do activate the alarm when I lock it. If I can figure out Photobucket tomorrow, I will post a pic for you. To OP, I know that this doesn't resolve your issue, sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Here's the pic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I figured out that 03 and newer mr2s do have an alarm. It is really crazy how it works. All you have to do is disconnect one wire under the dash and its activated. I took pictures while I was doing it and I will try to do a write up tonight or tomorrow. I bet a lot of people would like to know about it. To activate the alarm just take the lower dash cover off which is under the steering wheel. You need a 10mm socket for the right side and phillips head screw driver for the left. then remove the metal substructure which is 2 10 mm bolts. then take the lower steering column cover off. there is a screw on each side of steering wheel..you might need to turn the wheel a little to get to them and then one on the bottom of the steering column. now look way underneath and to the top right side of the steering column you will see a white plastic wire connector with 1 wire coming out...all you have to do is disconnect that wire connector and its activated..get in the car..lock the car with remote..wait 30 secs ( the alarm light will stay lite then begin blinking after 30 seconds) then manually unlock the door and your alarm will go off..
I installed the radar sensor kit which is part 08586-17950...here is a link http://www.brandsport.com/toy-08586-17950.html that tells you about it..but if go to other sites like http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~tvip~kit~mr2~08586-17950.html it is less expensive. it comes with a switch which is pictured above by missdinsc that is used to turn off the radar sensor
I don't know if the radar sensor is really necessary and how well it really works..It seems like the newer toyota alarms use a glass break sensor instead which probably means they had trouble with the radar sensor.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is quite a surprise and really awesome. Thanks for the writeup. Looking 4-ward to photos.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thank you for clearing up the functionality of that button. Now I guess I can stop playing with it. :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when automatic arm/disarm is activated:
-the system will arm after the ignition key is removed and all doors are closed (30 second delay)..you do NOT need to lock the doors
-the system will disarm after an you enter the vehicle and put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on"-you don't have to start engine (must be done within 0, 15 or 30 seconds)
-turning alarm on or off with remote overrides this

before you begin
1. remove key from ignition switch
2. close all doors
3. unlock doors with automatic door switch

to start programming you must do following within 30 seconds
1. using remote control, lock, then unlock the doors 3x
2. open the driver's door
3. lock, then unlock the driver's door 3x using the manual switch on door
the system locks the door in 2 seconds (if this doesn't happen, start over)
4. unlock the driver's door using the manual switch on door

next you are going to select operating mode and complete programming
1. close, then open the driver's door:

2x= passive arming off
3x= passive arming on-0 second entry delay (i guess you would use this one to have the alarm turn
on in case you forget to lock the car/turn on alarm)
4x= passive arming on-15 second delay
5x= passive armiing on-30 second delay

2. lock then unlock the driver's door using manual switch on door 1 x

the system locks the door in 2 seconds and programming is complete (if this doesn't happen-start over)

·
Registered
642 Posts
when automatic arm/disarm is activated:
-the system will arm after the ignition key is removed and all doors are closed (30 second delay)..you do NOT need to lock the doors
-the system will disarm after an you enter the vehicle and put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on"-you don't have to start engine (must be done within 0, 15 or 30 seconds)
-turning alarm on or off with remote overrides this

before you begin
1. remove key from ignition switch
2. close all doors
3. unlock doors with automatic door switch

to start programming you must do following within 30 seconds
1. using remote control, lock, then unlock the doors 3x
2. open the driver's door
3. lock, then unlock the driver's door 3x using the manual switch on door
the system locks the door in 2 seconds (if this doesn't happen, start over)
4. unlock the driver's door using the manual switch on door

next you are going to select operating mode and complete programming
1. close, then open the driver's door:

2x= passive arming off
3x= passive arming on-0 second entry delay (i guess you would use this one to have the alarm turn
on in case you forget to lock the car/turn on alarm)
4x= passive arming on-15 second delay
5x= passive armiing on-30 second delay

2. lock then unlock the driver's door using manual switch on door 1 x

the system locks the door in 2 seconds and programming is complete (if this doesn't happen-start over)
Thanks thats very helpful

I personally think the alarm sucks and want to turn it off. It goes off every once in a while at my house and frequently at my inlaw's house. It would be nice to not have ot worry that my alarm will wake the neighbors.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a question, when I lock my doors using the remote and I hear the "chirp", is that due to the alarm being armed or do Spyder's do it without the alarm system?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anyone clue me in on exactly where the radar motion sensor is mounted?

thanks

it is mounted right behind the radio..go around the right side of the console and it is mounted
in a vertical position..the carpeting may be covering it up a little

·
Registered
489 Posts
My 2001 has a keyless entry system, but no alarm system.
It doesn't chirp when the doors are locked by remote.
OldMan:

Do your lights flicker off and on when you lock your doors using the remote?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
disconnect radar sensor will prevent alarm going off

Thanks thats very helpful

I personally think the alarm sucks and want to turn it off. It goes off every once in a while at my house and frequently at my inlaw's house. It would be nice to not have ot worry that my alarm will wake the neighbors.
I think you should just disconnect the radar sensor and it won't go off all the time..the sensor is behind the ashtray on the ground in a vertical direction..follow the wire and you should be able to disconnect it

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you should just disconnect the radar sensor and it won't go off all the time..the sensor is behind the ashtray on the ground in a vertical direction..follow the wire and you should be able to disconnect it
I like this idea too! I'm tired of mine going off within less than a few minutes of me locking my ride. Time for the, "Snip-snip"!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts