MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm a fairly new member, been lurking for a while. Bought a 2000 spyder a while back. Recently the engine failed and we have found a reman 1zz out of a 2003 celica we are going to put in.

I have searched and searched the forum... what I need is a list of other parts you recommend changing when we do the engine install. We are definitely going to replace the clutch and the exhaust, but I also read somewhere about the dipstick and tube, etc. If there is any kind of "master" list I would appreciate it! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
engine change

Dipstick and tube would be if you were replacing with a 2zz (different engine). You'd need a couple more parts to do this but if you're replacing a 1zz with a 1zz you won't need these. You should be fine with what you mentioned, make sure your precats are gutted. Eroding precats could dammage your new engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken, and a big FO SHO on the precat thing. Didn't read up on this until AFTER the engine blew (shame on me). Car started using more and more oil until finally she failed... mechanic is guessing rod bearing broke and stacked, causing the piston to hit the head occasionally. So, precat will NOT be installed without first being gutted properly... lmao.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Or get yourself a nice upgrade header (PPE) instead. Increases performance and no cats =D
You can take the dipstick right of the old engine, together with the altonator and the starter. From then it's just out with the old... In with the new!

If you want to be very sure about the new engine, replace the waterpump and check(and replace) the oilpump together with the sbelt.

Good luck with the swap!

Grtzz,

Sherwin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts