MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
BC build quality is not bad. Their valving sucks but their hardware has proven reliable over a long time.

Honestly if you look at the picture above the BC hardware and welds look better than the S3s. The S3 is also missing the nut on the brake line bracket.

That BC coilover is probably 10 years old and the shock case coating is not rusty.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the s3 quality is lightyears better than BC, especially the hardware. They are literally the same coilovers midship garage sells anodized a different color and a cheaper price

why does it seem like you are against S3?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I haven't used the S3's so I'm certainly not biased against them but I would say that BC coilovers are impressive relative to their price point. I definitely agree valving could be better, rebound/damping adjustment could be smoother, etc but again...for the price ar intro level they are definitely a quality piece. Interesting feedback on the FA's...I knew there were a lot of initial fitment issues but I thought they had since got that straightened out & I hadn't heard of any further complaints with them since that time.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I haven't used the S3's so I'm certainly not biased against them but I would say that BC coilovers are impressive relative to their price point.
The one thing I can say about S3's coilovers over BC BR is that the camber plates have a better range of adjustment. Not only are there 4 holes (instead of 3 on the BC), they can be moved further in each direction without being limited by 2 hex bolts . Not sure if ALL modern coilovers have adopted the same design or if BC has even adjusted their original design over the last decade. Also, the front rebound adjusters are a removable "key" instead of being permemnantly affixed. This was done so that aftermarket hoods that sit lower won't make contact with the top of the strut. I can't speak for the performance/physics of S3 but I like that they aren't just a copy of BC. Yes, the lack of threaded brake line nut is a bit annoying. I spoke with the owner of the company about it and he said it was in the works. Not a dealbreaker for me.

I'm not shilling for this company and I didn't get an influencer discount like Togue Time. It was nice and easy dealing with these guys though and I spoke with the owner before making my purchase.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Just bought a set of 6/8k FA 500 from their scratch and dent sale. Price was even better than the group buy so I couldn’t resist. I’ll post up close up pics if anyone wants to see physical qualities of them. I’ll be really pissed the damping is similar to bc.

On that note, Silversprint have you dynod these yet? I wouldn’t mind sending you a pair to test.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Just bought a set of 6/8k FA 500 from their scratch and dent sale. Price was even better than the group buy so I couldn’t resist. I’ll post up close up pics if anyone wants to see physical qualities of them. I’ll be really pissed the damping is similar to bc.

On that note, Silversprint have you dynod these yet? I wouldn’t mind sending you a pair to test.
I have not Dynod the FA. If you want to send a front and rear I can test them send you dynos.

I think FA is more Digressive than BC but who knows by how much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the s3 quality is lightyears better than BC, especially the hardware. They are literally the same coilovers midship garage sells anodized a different color and a cheaper price

why does it seem like you are against S3?
i feel like they’re just being objective.

it’s important to note the pros and cons of everything for an objective assessment. bad welds don’t make shitty suspension. the missing nut was a manufacturing mistake w their last run.

in the world of suspension, aside from obvious garbage, a lot of parts have a place for a specific application. it’s important to look at the parts out there so we can all make an informed decision when spending our hard earned money.

transparency is key here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking into purchasing the S3's but it looks like the price went up from $1350 to $1500 for the street/track or all track setup. At that price point they are about the same as the BC DS Series or maybe might as well step up to the Shaftworks.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was looking into purchasing the S3's but it looks like the price went up from $1350 to $1500 for the street/track or all track setup. At that price point they are about the same as the BC DS Series or maybe might as well step up to the Shaftworks.
Are you located in Southern California?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts