MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first time posting but ive read so many threads in the past 2 days I feel like Ive been here awhile. Anyways I found a 2000 Spyder on CL and went to check it out. The guy wants 2500 for it. Its a project car and needs a ton of work.

It has 90k on the body and 50k on the 1ZZ.

The engine is not cranking for what ever reason, maybe not connected right. He is sure it was working when bought. Anyways it needs a new soft top, old one is torn and there is body damage on bunch of the panels. The front is a top secret front bumper i think with a little chunk missing from the bottom and cracks. Nice side skirts and a trd rear skirt. The door is in primer and crappy body work on it, it was like scraped like across the whole door and bit of the rear panel. The front hood/frunk w.e needs work too. It was painted Solar yellow and original color looks to be black.
It has some fixed racing seat that wasnt mounted right in the drivers side and an old mr2 steering wheel.. idk why lol Its also on some cheap 15 rims that are not that stlyish.

Overall it is in pretty rough shape and it shows. But for 2500 he is trowing in the old engine, the racing seats( it has stock ones too) and what ever other crap he has for it. Oh and its a NY Salvage/rebuilt title.

Is this thing worth 2500?

Sorry I forgot to take pics lol, but what do you guys think. It wont be a daily driver, I just wanted something cheap to play with and mod/restore.

I also saw the 01 thats selling on the classifieds that was rear ended for 1.5, How hard is it to get parts for the rear of that thing?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
All of of what you mentioned, including the salvage title, says this is not a good deal. It's not even running. You didn't give enough info about the other car that was rear ended...is it totaled?

There are decent, running, non salvaged Spyders out there in the 4.5K range. What is your budget?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the other one I was looking at is http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?49852-Parting-out-Totaled-2001-Grey-Spyder&highlight=
So I guess it is totaled but it could be rebuilt.

I am a big DIY'er and plan on doing the body work and paint myself, I have the tools and knowledge. The body work doesnt scare me. The engine stuff is still a learning thing for me.

Keep in mind I am in CT and want something around here like NY,MA etc not too far away.

My budget is under 3K. I am ok with cars that need body work, and other stuff but would prefer something running.

Should I offer this guy 2k, he wanted 2800 initially.. or is it still not worth it ?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hey guys this is my first time posting but ive read so many threads in the past 2 days I feel like Ive been here awhile. Anyways I found a 2000 Spyder on CL and went to check it out. The guy wants 2500 for it. Its a project car and needs a ton of work.

It has 90k on the body and 50k on the 1ZZ.

The engine is not cranking for what ever reason, maybe not connected right. He is sure it was working when bought. Anyways it needs a new soft top, old one is torn and there is body damage on bunch of the panels. The front is a top secret front bumper i think with a little chunk missing from the bottom and cracks. Nice side skirts and a trd rear skirt. The door is in primer and crappy body work on it, it was like scraped like across the whole door and bit of the rear panel. The front hood/frunk w.e needs work too. It was painted Solar yellow and original color looks to be black.
It has some fixed racing seat that wasnt mounted right in the drivers side and an old mr2 steering wheel.. idk why lol Its also on some cheap 15 rims that are not that stlyish.

Overall it is in pretty rough shape and it shows. But for 2500 he is trowing in the old engine, the racing seats( it has stock ones too) and what ever other crap he has for it. Oh and its a NY Salvage/rebuilt title.

Is this thing worth 2500?

Sorry I forgot to take pics lol, but what do you guys think. It wont be a daily driver, I just wanted something cheap to play with and mod/restore.

I also saw the 01 thats selling on the classifieds that was rear ended for 1.5, How hard is it to get parts for the rear of that thing?
Where you from?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not too hard now but i expect the degree of difficulty to increase in the future
Its hard even now to find panels online for this thing, it seems like you gotta go OEM for most of it(frunk,hood, lights etc) <_<

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Spend more and find a decent condition one- spending $2500 on something that may not reach completion is a waste of $2500.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Its hard even now to find panels online for this thing, it seems like you gotta go OEM for most of it(frunk,hood, lights etc) <_<
OEM or used are the only options for all panels and lights. Unless you go with a cf engine lid or hood, or a widebody.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm going to offer 2k highest and take it from there. If I get it I do plan on getting it finished overtime, taking my time and doing little by little.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'd pass on it.

Know your limitations, and stay within them. You said that the body work and paint is something you understand, but not the mechanicals. Be patient, keep your eyes open and find one in your budget range that runs good, but looks a little rough. Use what skills you have to your advantage once you have found one that meets your criteria. Point out to them that body work and paint is not cheap, be a tough negotiator, and you can make your dreams a reality. People go in more for form over function. You can see many cars that look cool (but won't run) sitting everywhere. Don't be one of those guys.

Patience is the key.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd pass on it.

Know your limitations, and stay within them. You said that the body work and paint is something you understand, but not the mechanicals. Be patient, keep your eyes open and find one in your budget range that runs good, but looks a little rough. Use what skills you have to your advantage once you have found one that meets your criteria. Point out to them that body work and paint is not cheap, be a tough negotiator, and you can make your dreams a reality. People go in more for form over function. You can see many cars that look cool (but won't run) sitting everywhere. Don't be one of those guys.

Patience is the key.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
I'll let you guys know his response to the 2k, and you are right its not good when people get in over their head, it just leads to stuff never getting done or not getting done right. I mean I can do some mechanical stuff but rebuilding a whole engine alone is not something I could do off the top of my head, with how to's and manuals I probably could. I had a bike I bought a while ago, I didnt know anything about motorcycles but I was able to do the sprockets, chain, brakes, rebuild forks, cables, wiring, custom one of rear tail and other misc. stuff that took lots of work and time but in the end looked real cool. But I hear where you are coming from I don't want to be one of those guys but thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
In any case, these are rare cars and i'm glad that youre taking one and restoring it to new, putting it on the road, that would otherwise probably end up in a junkyard

I'm looking forward to the build thread *hoping you make one*

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In any case, these are rare cars and i'm glad that youre taking one and restoring it to new, putting it on the road, that would otherwise probably end up in a junkyard

I'm looking forward to the build thread *hoping you make one*
Thanks If I get one, my build thread will have tons of pics :cool:.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Spend more and find a decent condition one- spending $2500 on something that may not reach completion is a waste of $2500.
What he said.

We see threads like this occasionally here. Usually (not always) the case is, if you have to ask, it's probably not the best idea. Even with all the knowledge and experience on this forum, there's no way for us or you to know all the issues with this car, particularly if it's not running.

Whatever your decision, best of luck.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I wouldn't do more than 1500 if it doesn't start, especially if it's beat up. Got mine for 2.5k but the engine was pretty new and I was able to troubleshoot the the 'broken' tranny before I closed the deal, and my body was pristine.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I would stay away from salvage titled cars at any price, unless you are buying it for parts to fix another car. In my area, most insurance companies won't insure a car with a salvage title. You can get liability insurance, but probably not get collision or comprehensive. Most project cars are just a money pit.

You can find a number of running, undamaged Spyders in the Northeast for well under $10,000. I would avoid any 2000 unless it was really cheap.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
No matter how much time and money you put into to it to make it look and run like new, it will always have a salvage title.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts