MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to admit to being an idiot. I let best buy replace my radio and motorized antenna. The radio is great but I've finally gotten tired of the crap job they did on the antenna and want to replace it. I think I want to replace it with one of those 5" screw on nubs but I want to replace the screw on base.

Where I need the help is with finding a suitable base. I'm confident that I could get it installed but I'm relatively new to aftermarket parts and doing this myself and would appreciate a hand making my car look nice. I bought my spyder new in 2003 and it's fallen into a slight state of disrepair and I want to make it pretty again (fender, rear bumper and light damage). Are there decent universal bases that work well or is there a particular manufacturer that fits perfectly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I need to get the entire conversion kit I will but the motor has already been swapped out with a stationary unit and I just want to replace the fender mount. Is that possible without getting an entire kit? I can't right now since I'm in the office but would pictures help?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm going to admit to being an idiot. I let best buy replace my radio and motorized antenna. The radio is great but I've finally gotten tired of the crap job they did on the antenna and want to replace it. I think I want to replace it with one of those 5" screw on nubs but I want to replace the screw on base.

Where I need the help is with finding a suitable base. I'm confident that I could get it installed but I'm relatively new to aftermarket parts and doing this myself and would appreciate a hand making my car look nice. I bought my spyder new in 2003 and it's fallen into a slight state of disrepair and I want to make it pretty again (fender, rear bumper and light damage). Are there decent universal bases that work well or is there a particular manufacturer that fits perfectly?
I used a "Raptor" brand antenna with universal base and aerial-style antenna, about $11. You can discard the aerial and just use the base, it's universal. Or, you might find a universal base with nub. I didn't look for one, because personally I really dig aerial style antennas. The base from this unit fits perfectly over the quarter-panel orifice.

Here's my antenna DIY:
http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?66441-Frank-s-Spyder-Project-Thread&p=1029314&viewfull=1#post1029314

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a "Raptor" brand antenna with universal base and aerial-style antenna, about $11. You can discard the aerial and just use the base, it's universal. Or, you might find a universal base with nub. I didn't look for one, because personally I really dig aerial style antennas. The base from this unit fits perfectly over the quarter-panel orifice.

Here's my antenna DIY:
http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?66441-Frank-s-Spyder-Project-Thread&p=1029314&viewfull=1#post1029314
That's perfect. It sounds like you were able to just grab one at the local Radio Shack? I might swing by mine after work and see what they carry. Aerial or Nub, anything will look better than what I have. I had BB install the new radio and antenna only two years ago and yesterday I noticed that the base is already loose and starting to pop out of the fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts