MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Could've called it the new 2012 MR2 Spyder and fooled me lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like they even painted it black instead of body color so it contrasts like the 2000-2002 models.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
wow......that looks like my deuce. THAT is a pure compliment to our design....... even the deck looks MR2

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think it's more them wanting to make a poor man's Carrera GT with the sharp upper door line. kinda the way I feel about the veilside kit.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We are not the only folks noting the similarities...... again, I think it is a compliment.

From Ferrarichat:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140869920

The side intake/details reminds me a bit of the MR2.

I don't like that lip on the back.

It might grow on me... but it reminds me of a Toyota MR2, which is a deal killer.

I prefer a 986/987 boxster to this

the hilarious thing about this is that when the MR2 Spyder came out, everyone said it was just a rip-off of the 986 Boxster design. circle of life, I guess

was only 6 years old in '99 this seems like a much closer design to the MR2 than a 986...

FROM MOTORAUTHORITY (Comments)

It looks like the longer version of toyota MR2.This car looks pretty neat and decent.After reading this blog I am sure Porsche certainly does have the laziest design team.

PHOTO COMPARRISON (2012 boxter and a red MR2 spyder) in this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5453325-2012-Porsche-Boxster-no-camo

the details look nothign alike and people used to make fun of Toyota for copying the boxster when the MR-S was first released.

fact is, they are both mid engine convertibles with similiar proportions. So they will look similiar in some regards.

Honestly, by first thought was to read on to see if the photo was a fake. It looked so much like an MR2. Could just be the angle. I'll need to see more photos before passing judgment.

How come no one has photoshopped this into a Cayman?

FROM XBIMMERS.COM

It looks good, though I hope the rumors of a turbo I4 are greatly exaggerated.

The front fascia has a little bit of MR-S in it...

AGAIN, PHOTO COMPARRISON:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10555608#post10555608

FROM NASIOC:

Looks like the love child of a Boxster and an MR2.

FROM E90POST:

From that first image, it very MR2-ish, without the high ass... but it looks good.

FROM WORLDCARFANS:

If you ask me, I thought the middle section of the car somehow looked like an MR2. I think it's just the angle though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Picture 1: You see how they carried that crease on the upper side of the inlet all the way down to the mirror? Love it. I wish it was a little more elongated on our cars...

Good find!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
looks like a cross between an MR-S and a slug.

hate the spoiler

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I think it looks very good; but I do agree that the resemblance to the Spyder is uncanny.
I wish Toyota made the MR2 look more like this.
Just so we are clear... this car will likely be between 500 and 600 pounds heavier than the 2012 Exige's planned 2380 curb weight... I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like the Spyder more. I always though the tail on the Spyder was funny lookin but it's really fugly on the Boxter. I think the MR2 is a better looking car. I wouldn't mind the extra HP though.

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
Even the Boxster Spyder was 2,811 Lb. While these cars are a little porky the s makes over 300 hp, I'd drive one for sure!
The only good power to weight is when the weight is more important the power.
I am sure it might even handle better out of the box then a stock Spyder but that does not mean that it's better.
I am sure this car will be good for a doctors wife.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I remember reading an article (year ago or so..) that called Porsche boxster spyder the best handling car in America under 100k. It beat out some of the usual suspects including Corvette z06 & lotus Elise.

While the new boxster ranks low on my list classic Porsche styling, I'm sure it is a blast to drive

1 - 20 of 52 Posts