MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my five speed clunked out on me so I decided that was a perfect opportunity to get a new 6 speed. I went with monkewrenchracing trans with 3.9 final drive. It was the cheaper than the 4.3 and still had lsd. I was concerned that the gears might be taller than I wanted I am running na with only exhaust modifications for sound. But every one that revueid the trans said this is the one to get, this is the trans they should have put in the car, very little acceleration loss due to gearing. and so on. so I decided to get that one well I wish I would have listened to my gut feeling on this one because in my opinion this trans killed this car! not because its slower I don’t think acceleration times changed much half my friends couldn’t tell there was anything different and the ones that did said it was minimal. but because when driving through town my rpm's are so low if im not in 1st or 2nd its gutless. 3rd is so tall I can do 90mph and 125mph in 4th! That’s almost the same as the stock 5th gear! So in my eyes I went from a 5speed to a 4speed. And the gap between 1st-2nd and 2nd -3rd is monstrous sifting takes longer because there is huge change in rpm at any speed. Then 4th, 5th, and 6th are the other way around they are so close u hardly notice a drop in rpm's. now on the high way its a wonderful thing ~3,000 rpm @70mph and it much quieter too, so on long trips its not buzzing the crap out of ya! but I think the way to go would be to put the 3.9 final drive and put it in a celica 6speed trans.

mwr 3.9 6speed
1st: 3.166 38.5 mph @7,000 rpm
2nd: 1.904 64mph
3rd: 1.310 93mph
4th: 0.969 125.8 mph
5th: 0.815 149.6 mph
6th: 0.725 168.2 mph
FD: 3.941

celica or matrix 6speed with 3.9 final drive instead of stock 4.5
1st: 3.166 38.5mph
2nd: 2.050 59.5mph
3rd: 1.481 82.3mph
4th: 1.166 104.5mph
5th: 0.916 133.1mph
6th: 0.725 168.2mph
FD: 3.941 instead of 4.529

stock 5speed
1st: 3.166 35.2mph
2nd: 1.904 58.5mph
3rd: 1.392 80mph
4th: 1.031 108mph
5th: 0.815 136.7mph
FD: 4.312

all the speeds are @7,000rpm with 205/50/15 tires just to give reference. used gear speed calculator on Google.

so now my thought is can I replace 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear in my current trans for the respective gears in the celica trans? or is there a better solution? this current set up makes the car feel more like a curser than a sports car and its driving me nuts its not nearly as fun to drive. and why do I need 3 gears that are technically overdrive!?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Sorry the C60 didn't work out for you. As much of a PIA it is to swap for something else with different gearing, that's probably the best route (instead of dismantling the gears in your C60). I'm sure there's plenty of people here that would buy your C60 quickly. I haven't noticed the gearing to be that much different than the C56 (1-5), and I love the 700 rpm drop on the highway in 6th. I think you will likely spend a bit more changing gears on the C60 than just getting a different MWR tranny with a different final drive, just be aware it's a slight bit different for installation as the C60 is a direct bolt up vs the other 6 speeds. Plus, you will get back much of the purchase price of the C60 if you sell it intact.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
He doesn't really have a C60. It's more of a C65.

The Celica C60 is probably the best transmission to get. The 1-5 gears are shorter for better acceleration and the 6th is shorter for better mpg. You can get new C60 transmission from Toyota for around $2k with the stock celica gearing.

I think putting a longer geared trans in an NA spyder makes the car too slow.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
the 4.59 final drive is what you need for a quicker, still lower RPM at highway speeds machine.
4.59 engine revs for each wheel rotation, means high rpms at highway speeds.
I believe dblazer is using "quicker" to mean "better acceleration than the current 6-speed"
and "lower RPM at highway speeds" compared to the OEM 5-speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well what transmission should i look at? and i like the rpm drop in 6th on the high way but i spend most of my time driving in town. and if i swap out the gears ill get almost identical gearing as stock while still having the ~700 rpm drop on the high way. plus the only thing i didnt like about the stock trans is how far apart 1st and 2nd were this also helps that as well. my plan was to practice on the junk trans and swap out the gears myself i like tearing things down and rebuilding so it would only be the price of getting the gears. this may not hapen for a while and who knows maybe in time the gearing might not bother me but i doubt it. just looking at my options.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I believe dblazer is using "quicker" to mean "better acceleration than the current 6-speed"
and "lower RPM at highway speeds" compared to the OEM 5-speed.
Yes, the first four gears are numerically higher than the five speed, and the to top gears are numerically lower.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
The celica/matix/vibe also have taller tires and a higher redline so they don't really shift more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts