MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did a few minor changes to the interior. First of all, I installed a Verizon Wireless hot spot in the glovebox, giving me unlimited 3G access. Then, on the inside I purchased a ProClipUSA iPhone Mount and then I purchased the Pioneer AppRadio, which brings your iPhone apps into the car. VERY nice - love the iPod features, the web apps, the Pandora streaming, the bluetooth, and the great GPS. This head unit originally sold for over $400, but Best Buy nationwide has them on clearance for $199 - a real bargain! THe GPS is awesome - you can purchase custom voices, and I purchased a very British sounding male voice - he sounds like a butler LOL LOL..... Here are a couple of pics. Now, mind you, this is my first time using the iPad app for this forum, so here goes nothing LOL....

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I like it. That's pretty good if you have all those functions and a GPS. Is there security such as a removable face to the head unit?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Had one of those. But got rid of it when I returned home one evening and he wouldn't open the pod bay doors...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it. That's pretty good if you have all those functions and a GPS. Is there security such as a removable face to the head unit?
Hey there -

No, unfortunately there is no removable face plate. And to make things simple, that is a dedicated iPhone 4 that I leave mounted all the time, with the phone service turned totally OFF. Then, I have a hidden 4G unlimited data hot spot in the glove box, that the iPhone 4 uses for accessing the internet, GPS, Pandora, all the web apps - and for making handsfree voice calls over Skype! It's very cool how it all works together...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the iphone mount! Which one did you get and where did you buy it!!
Thanks! It was SUPER easy to install too, and takes the glove box into consideration. It's available at ProClipUSA.com - you need to buy two parts, the mount that goes to the dash, and then the type of holder you would like. I purchased the deluxe holder with soft padding, for an iPhone without covers or skins (you have to be specific - it's a very custom fit, but you will see on the site)....

Then, I could NOT wait so I paid $25 for overnight shipping (LOL!), so my total out of pocket cost for it was around $90 but IMO very well worth it. I love it :) VERY secure. Feels like a part of the car! :)

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at getting one of these awhile back. What apP are you using for gps?
I believe it's called GPS Drive and I got the voice option, which is only a few bucks a year. It's always updated and accurate since it's based on a live database, and not a local one requiring updates which I hate. It's very accurate so far, and really looks good the way it displays the various maps, viewing angles, etc.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I wanted to use a 3rd party GPS app(Waze), not the Drive one that they have an app for. Do you know if it'll port over to the screen ok?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanted to use a 3rd party GPS app(Waze), not the Drive one that they have an app for. Do you know if it'll port over to the screen ok?
Hi - I did some checking on the compatibility of this unit, and the AppRadio was designed in cooperation with several app developers. The Motion-X GPS Drive was designed to work well on the phone, but also port over to the screen perfectly, which it does. At this time, you would be limited to using your other GPS app on the iPhone screen, with the audio being amplified over the sound system. The best thing to do, is to go to the Pioneer website and look at the AppRadio and there is a list of recommended apps that work perfectly with it....

Have a great night! :)

Mike

·
Banned
569 Posts
There are a number of Iphone compatible decks on the market right now that do WAY more than the app radio. The app radio was a good first pass but then they came otu iwth the app radio2 and its not really that much better, and in the meantime other mfg's have made giant leaps in usability.

As of right now JVC has some AWESOME very affordable touchscreen decks ($250-$350) that have great apps that can port over (MotionX, Inrix Traffic, pandora, etc).

Kenwood allows you to use the Garmin Iphone app ($50 for app, $50 for port enable) and that way your GPS gos with you and the kenwood just displays it. Very cool features.

The dude at bestbuy told me he never sells any App Radios when people compare them to the Kenwood or JVC (disclaimer, I only use kenwood due to my existing sirius periherals so I didn't even research Sony/Pioneer/Alpine much, but I was also told that JVC has the best ports on the market so I didn't have to research much). I went with Kenwood for the Garmin port since I have multiple cars so I only have to purchase one app on my Iphone and now have GPS in all of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts