MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, what else is there to do with your Spyder on a rainy day.

I bought one of the Rexypow fiberglass consoles and tried to have it leather bound. I had three different upholstery shops turn the job away... so, I decided to go a different route instead. Hydrographics.

The Hydrographics took about a week to do (paint coats... graphics... clear coats, etc.)

Once I got it back.. I had to drill out the 6 screw holes (includes two up front that mount to the stereo rails). I also drilled out an 1-1/8" hole on the side for cigarette / accessory charger. I followed the basic instructions posted in another thread (remove seats... boot... window switches, etc.,) and a few hours later... here it is.

Like most everyone else that's bought one of these consoles... my center plastic piece didn't fit correctly in the parking brake slot... so, I'm working on an alternative.

Please excuse the crappy pics... I'll try to upload better ones on a sunny day.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Looks great! Hydrocoating was an excellent way to go (you can get any part to get the exact look you want- that console looks fantastic!). I had my TRD shift surround hydrocoated as well:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amazing! It really picks up the leather seats.
That looks outstanding
Thanks guys! I'll upload better pics after the sun comes out...

what was the name of the place? I just moved to portland
HD Hydrographics http://hdhydro.com They're great guys and they do top-notch work!

Looks great! Hydrocoating was an excellent way to go (you can get any part to get the exact look you want- that console looks fantastic!). I had my TRD shift surround hydrocoated as well:

Sweet shift surround, Erdoc! Looks great. I love your shift boot too!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a quickie digital fake of what I wanted HD Hyrographics to do and e-mailed it to them. They finished it in less than two weeks. The finish is as durable as your fender (lots of clear coat).

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
That's excellent. Great application of a good idea. Wow....I can see so many different design possibilities. I have to say, I really thought that console was a turd before....

I'm so gonna rip you off lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's excellent. Great application of a good idea. Wow....I can see so many different design possibilities. I have to say, I really thought that console was a turd before....

I'm so gonna rip you off lol.
Haha... yeah... me too. But, I really like what some members are doing with leather (for those that can find the right upholster willing to do it)... or, with the right paint job... or Hydrographics.

Steal away... I'm flattered. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whoa where did you get that Lexus Mr2 spyder? :lol:
Haha... Well... that's the idea. Add a little faux luxury. I may have to find a Lexus badge now :lol:

It looks great.
Thanks!

May I ask how much it cost you to have it hydrocoated. I think I would like to do this next. I never really like our oem console. Is it pretty sturdy?
The price depends on the complexity of your design. They primer your piece... then paint a base color coat that goes with your pattern. Then they apply the hydrographic overlay. Then lots of clear coat (or matte) Mine was around $350

I should add... they wouldn't have been able to cover the entire console with the carbon fiber look with one piece. The overlay won't stretch that far with the complexity of the shape of the console. Simple shapes (rear view mirrors... dash components... vent covers, etc., would be much easier to do with one piece. That's why I two-toned mine

Amazing digital skills as well- that's great that you could design it on the computer and have them reproduce it exactly.
Thanks Erdoc. I stole one of Rexypow's pics of the console that he posted and just digitally overlaid it with fake carbon fiber and wood. Once I had a look that appealed to me... I sent it in.

Reactions: Gnuhpynot

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
That really looks amazing! Really changes the interior.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.