MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2zz PPE 4-1 + PPE Cat + 2 Vibrant Resonators, Installed

So, I was getting tired of the sound of the Magnaflow that came with the PPE 4-1 and test pipe, as well as not liking the weight.

So I ordered two Vibrant resonators 2.5" inlet/outlet from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ox_ya_os_product for $85 shipped. Total shipping weight was 12 lbs (6lbs each shipped) but I don't have a good scale to get exact weight of them, but they are light.

I plan to put them in like another member mounted his magnaflow canisters, an L bend coming from the downpipe into the first resonator, then a U bend connecting to the second resonator. As far as where the tip goes, I can't decide between going through the bumper or making two L bends and exiting like stock. Though i'm leaning towards the bumper with some black mesh replacing the plastics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will look great will flow great, but will be noisy. I ran two of those on a twin cam 1.9 Saturn engine and it was very loud.
but with your configuration it might not be too bad. My set up pretty well ran in a mostly straight line.
Looking forward to your feedback,

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the car back today, the sound is amazing, deeper than anything else i've heard on the MR2. It's still loud, but in a different way, I love it, looks a bit weird but the sound is awesome.
I'm gonna try to dyno it later just out of curiosity. Last dyno was with the test pipe and magnaflow muffler, I added the car back in this time and think my setup would be too loud without it.

my taillights are not that dark, just a bad photo.

Soon to come:
custom heat shield on the bumper around where the second resonator is so no melting occurs.
Custom wing mounts that mount to the chassis through the decklid.
Installing the Che camber and toe adjustment arms that are sitting in the passenger seat.
New wheels and tires.

Should have an exhaust clip up soon. It sounds angry.

·
Registered
284 Posts
While I applaud the creativity you have, that just looks awful.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I know it looks aweful, but I didn't want to add the weight of more piping. The sound makes it all worth it imo, I will be painting some of it later so it's a bit more subtle.

I should say, the appearance is Super JDM-Tastic. (read silly)
The sound is very euro, deep and sporty rather than high pitched raspyness which is what I was getting from the broken magnaflow.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Those are not resonators, those are just glasspacks. Alot of people just call them that, real resonators have a ton of teeth to create turbulance in the flow and the teeth are in a spiral fashion. Pictures below will give you a REALLY deep sound like a turbo.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Interesting, these are sold as Resonators, and they did give a very deep sound... I'm happy either way.
Glass packs are smooth and are perforated with holes because between the two tubes is fiberglass or something which creates a smaller turbulance. You'll get better flow with these.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I'd love to hear a sound clip. I am using a black Vibrant muffler on my exhaust but it's size is forcing me to pie cut my bends to get them tighter. The size of the resonator would make my job much easier. I passed at the start because I figured they had to be obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to hear a sound clip. I am using a black Vibrant muffler on my exhaust but it's size is forcing me to pie cut my bends to get them tighter. The size of the resonator would make my job much easier. I passed at the start because I figured they had to be obnoxiously loud.
I'm going to try to get a video up by tonight or tomorrow. It's still pretty loud, but not nearly as obnoxious as the test pipe with the broken magnaflow muffler. The tone is so completely different from the old setup, it's much deeper and less honday

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
total, the section behind the cat weights less than 13 lbs i believe each resonator has a shipped weight of 6lbs and there is very little excess piping. I need to take it off and weight it, but it's lighter than what was on there while not being stupid noise wise. Not sure what the downpipe section weights, but I needed a cat.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, shot an exhaust video.

At the dyno. Numbers were something like 155 whp, 115 tq. seemed a bit low to me, but I need to replace the spark plugs and change the oil. This is a mustang dyno. Last time it was dynoed was a dynojet where it put down 176 hp, 128 tq.

Start up and drive. It's much deeper in person, everyone whose heard it so far agrees that it is infinitely better than the Magnaflow it replaced.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
155!?!!?!
Yeah, I think it's a little low, as I said this was on a mustang dyno a year ago I put down 176 on a dynojet so one of the two is pretty off.

Also, is it possible that the CEL may be causing a loss of power? I think the AFR was 15 at one point, I have no idea what it normally is.

I think this is a bit better sound depiction

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Yeah, I think it's a little low, as I said this was on a mustang dyno a year ago I put down 176 on a dynojet so one of the two is pretty off.

Also, is it possible that the CEL may be causing a loss of power? I think the AFR was 15 at one point, I have no idea what it normally is.

I think this is a bit better sound depiction
Yea that would do it, fine out what the cel is. If AFR is at 15 on WOT that is the problem. Should be at like <12 at WOT and 14ish at idle. a Cat cel would do this as well.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's the EVAP system, i've been putting off messing with it till next week, but it should be taken care of by then. I think last time I reset the ecu before running.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Those are not resonators, those are just glasspacks. Alot of people just call them that, real resonators have a ton of teeth to create turbulance in the flow and the teeth are in a spiral fashion. Pictures below will give you a REALLY deep sound like a turbo.
Might or might not be, depends on construction. A real resonator doesn't need teeth either just perforations. Differences explainted: Resonators: The body of a resonator is constructed in three layers: Two thin layers of metal with a thicker, slightly insulated layer between them. This allows the body of the resonator to absorb some of the pressure pulses. Also, the inlet and outlet pipes going into the main chamber are perforated with holes. This allows thousands of tiny pressure pulses to bounce around in the main chamber, canceling each other out to some extent in addition to being absorbed by the resonator's housing. Its dimensions are calculated so that the sound waves reflected by the resonator help cancel out certain frequencies of sound in the exhaust.
Regular Mufflers: Located inside the muffler is a set of tubes. These tubes are designed to create reflected waves that interfere with each other or cancel each other out. The exhaust gases and the sound waves enter through the center tube. They bounce off the back wall of the muffler and are reflected through a hole into the main body of the muffler. They pass through a set of holes into another chamber, where they turn and go out the last pipe and leave the muffler. But creates backpressure in doing so, good for torque, but not good for power. There is also a chamber called a resonator that is connected to the first chamber by a hole. The resonator contains a specific volume of air and has a specific length that is calculated to produce a wave that cancels out a certain frequency of sound. Yes a regular muffler has a portion of its area designed as a resonator.
Low Back Pressure - Glass Pack Mufflers: There are other types of mufflers that can reduce backpressure. One type, uses only absorption to reduce the sound. On a muffler like this, the exhaust goes straight through a pipe that is perforated with holes. Surrounding this pipe is a layer of glass insulation that absorbs some of the pressure pulses. A steel housing surrounds the insulation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts