MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 1.5L ecoboost is a 3 cylinder marvel. It sports 200HP and 210lb-ft torque and hits 160lb-ft by 1600rpm to my understanding. That is without any performance mods or tunes. They say it can be tuned to achieve over 270HP..
Weighs only 213lbs...
From what I have read the bare block is only 8"x11"
Mates to a FWD 6spd manual or 8spd autotragic.
Has one front upper mount in the same location as our cars.
Mounts the same direction with intake towards firewall.
It is based on the same 1.0L ecoboost engine. If I can get my hands on a rear end and a bare block I will make this work.. I just dont want to tear up my daily driver..
Anyone else interested in seeing this work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 1.5 turbo Honda motor is almost as impressive, its not as light, but it has the power potential and from what I hear will bolt to the k-series transmissions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you meant the 4 cylinder 1.5L ecoboost then Ford has had numerous issues with the 1.5L motor. The DS7Z-6006-D having issues with defects at the edge of the cylinder walls, overheating and other issues. The motors were on backorder at one point. That number has been replaced numerous times and actually it is currently on backorder. The 1.0L is a three cylinder though.

Part#: DS7Z 6006Q ENG#: DS7G6006JB
Part Name: SERVICE ENGINE ASY Date Off B/O: 09/30/19
You might want to reconsider
CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: XM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX

They are replacing them so often even the injector O ring kits are on backorder.
Part#: DS7Z 9229B ENG#: DS7G9U509AA
Part Name: KIT - "O" RING Date Off B/O: 09/12/19

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would avoid the Ford hype on the new Dragon engine until it has been out a while. They aren't exactly kicking ass on the build quality and recall numbers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The new 1.5L ecoboost is a 3 cylinder marvel. It sports 200HP and 210lb-ft torque and hits 160lb-ft by 1600rpm to my understanding. That is without any performance mods or tunes. They say it can be tuned to achieve over 270HP..
Weighs only 213lbs...
It is based on the same 1.0L ecoboost engine. If I can get my hands on a rear end and a bare block I will make this work.. I just dont want to tear up my daily driver..
I would avoid the Ford hype on the new Dragon engine until it has been out a while. They aren't exactly kicking ass on the build quality and recall numbers.
Weighs only 213lbs...
NO!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The 1.5 dragon is 3cyl. The older 1.5 is 4cyl. Agreed, waiting a few years to determine engine integrity is probably a good idea before sinking a ton of time and effort into this swap. But if the engines do turn out reliable... This would be an interesting swap with improved power AND some weight reduction...

·
Registered
67 Posts
My only concern is the high pressure pumping system (if GDI), all the solenoids, control valves, sensors, etc that are on the newer Ford engines. It is insane how much tech they require to run correctly.
Friends who are still working in Ford dealerships complain about all the nonsense they require to do even something simple.
I used to be a huge Ford fan but they really lost their way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My only concern is the high pressure pumping system (if GDI), all the solenoids, control valves, sensors, etc that are on the newer Ford engines. It is insane how much tech they require to run correctly.
Friends who are still working in Ford dealerships complain about all the nonsense they require to do even something simple.
Its not just Ford, unfortunately all vehicles are going this way...

:mad:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you meant the 4 cylinder 1.5L ecoboost then Ford has had numerous issues with the 1.5L motor. The DS7Z-6006-D having issues with defects at the edge of the cylinder walls, overheating and other issues. The motors were on backorder at one point. That number has been replaced numerous times and actually it is currently on backorder. The 1.0L is a three cylinder though.

Part#: DS7Z 6006QENG#: DS7G6006JB
Part Name: SERVICE ENGINE ASYDate Off B/O: 09/30/19
You might want to reconsider
CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: XM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX

They are replacing them so often even the injector O ring kits are on backorder.
Part#: DS7Z 9229BENG#: DS7G9U509AA
Part Name: KIT - "O" RINGDate Off B/O: 09/12/19
I said it is based on the 1 liter 3 cylinder engine..

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford does pretty cool crate options that include all necessary parts like that. They're crazy expensive though. I would just try to get the pump from a fiesta and whatever electronics are required. The worst part is the ECU. It's pretty expensive for the base/tuner/kit ecu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
MightyMouse
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing