MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this car for about a year and a half just have not found this forum untill now. I OWN A 2000 black spyder had 57,000 on it when i bought it has 63,000 current milage. I have to say i LOVE this car. My friend has a 2001 white with tan roof he bought new i really like driving it i was in the market for a sports car and test drove some boxsters a s2000 miata and a elise. Well i bought a spyder a could not feal better about it. The car was a dealer trd showroom special car, it has trd body kit stage 1, trd roll bar four mounting points ok for some racing, trd under body brace in front, trd rear strut tower bar, TRD FRONT STRUT TOWER BAR, TRD CLUTCH, TRD SHIFTER ASSEMBLY, TRD FLYWHEEL,TRD SPORTIVO SUSPENSION WITH FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS, TRD SUEAD RACE SEATS, TRD SEAT MOUNT, JDM FRONT EMBLEM THE REST REMOVED AND TRD STEERING WHEEL EMBLEM FRONT AND REAR STAINLESS BRAKE LINES. THE CAR WAS OWNED BY THE DEALER FOR FOUR YEARS AND ABOUT 6,000 MILES THE OWNER DROVE IT THEY TELL ME. The parts manager at the dealership purchased it, then he sold it to the guy i bought it from. He put a power enterprise turbo kit on it and an oil cooler then i bought it. I removed the turbo and installed a che header and aem intake. i want to run a track day with it and i need help with other necessary mods. I will be running at reno fernley race way about 20 minutes on the track at a time. Am i asking for disaster with no oil pan do i need to buy the moroso and cooler any help please ?
Ps i am a noob to the site but not the car i placed first in snake river scca auto x solo 2011

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Welcome to Spyderchat.. Yes your Precats are Gone.. Good..

The site also has a few boys called 'Autocrossers' and we have a Forum just for them..

Here is a link to the Forum.. Actually if you scroll down farther in the Listing of Forums you will find them.. But sometimes I forget to look that far down.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?20-Autocross-Racing-and-Motorsports

A lot of your particular questions might be answered in the Forum Stickies there.. If not then ask..

Cap

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Well that explains the screen name, and abundance of TRD parts. Welcome!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome

Welcome, you should post pics so we can see your ride.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome! We are all ages on here. Many very smart people. Threads of all types...

So, you live in Reno?

The turbo goes back on after your race?

Good luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i want to run a track day with it and i need help with other necessary mods. I will be running at reno fernley race way about 20 minutes on the track at a time. Am i asking for disaster with no oil pan do i need to buy the moroso and cooler any help please ?
I only have 1 track day (and numerous autox's) under my belt and don't know much about oil temp, but I'll add my 2 cents: I did a track day at sebring (which is a lot of time keeping it floored); the only engine mod I have is a custom exhaust and I ran fine for two days in a row. I would highly suggest HP Blue pads ($120 for a set) and stock rotors ($40?) on the front; the brakes felt amazing and only faded a little when I really pushed in my last session and abused them. Also, sticky(er) tires aren't necessary but make it a lot more fun. I got 205-50-15 Kumho XS ($100 a tire) all the way around and was very impressed, they never felt greasy and it was very hot out, and they still had tons of tread left after both days. I also have done about 10 autocrosses on them and they still have a decent amount of tread.

·
Registered
492 Posts
what fluid? if you are not using a high temperature flavor you should switch and bleed after each session or two depending on need.

sounds like stock fluid will not serve you well here.
I changed the fluid, I believe I put Prestone synthetic DOT 4 in...and obviously bled them before the weekend.
*Edit: Also, the pads were smoking after that session, so it was probably the limit of the pad's capabilities*

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in boise but visit Reno my wifes family is there, i removed the turbo because i had to diagnose the problems with the car. When i purchased it, the vehicle ran very poorly and i removed the turbo to rule out any issues with it. I found the previous owner had damaged the wiring harness attemting to install a greddy emange. I removed and replaced the wiring harness and my problem and cel were gone and have not returned after about 9000 miles and 1 year. I have not reinstalled the turbo since fixing the car. I have motul race fluid and ss lines and ceramic akebono pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts