MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting forum goers. I wanted to introduce myself as a relatively new Spyder owner. I picked up a 2003 Black SMT back in January and have been lurking about the forum since.

Some back story:

I traded in a '01 Celica GT 5 spd when I got the MR2. I had actually wanted (and test drove) a MR2 prior to getting the Celica back in '04, but it was cost prohibitive at the time. I found seemingly a good deal on the Spyder and jumped on it.

Under different circumstance I would have gone with a straight up manual; however, my wife has yet to learn and feel comfortable with a stick-shift, so the SMT ends up being a happy medium between what I would prefer to drive and what she can drive.

Now that I have gotten more road time with the SMT, I don't really miss having to deal with the clutch.

Anyway, I look forward to becoming a part of the Spyder community. I have already found a heap of useful info.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome

Well you bought the best color for a spyder, welcome!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome. I got SMT for essentially the same reasons as you. But it may have been a mistake - now SHE wants to drive it too! Look forward to perfect downshifts every time!
Welcome, MrGrins!

I bought an SMT this time around so that my gf can drive it. She is now an ex-gf but I love this transmission.

·
Registered
782 Posts
trans

My wife can drive stick! Got the manual.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome! +1 to the best color.

My GF can't drive stick, SO I bought a manual.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
When I bought my first MR2, my wife couldn't drive a stick... SO I TAUGHT HER!:p

It is a smart move to involve your lady in the hobby--and to let her take the car whenever she wants. If you are very lucky your wife will turn into a fun-loving gearhead--like our friend YZ007 here:wub:. I know that my wife now loves going to car shows and Indy Car races. I often come home to find her watching Top Gear... How did I get so lucky?-_-

·
Registered
782 Posts
I often come home to find her watching Top Gear... -_-[/QUOTE said:
Wow you did luck out, when I'm watching Top Gear she sneaks up and changes the channel!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black is the best color for cars, period! :D

I tried to teach the lady how to drive stick when I had the Celica, but she was not interested. She thought it was too much work. So far she has only driven the MR2 once, and she drove it with kid gloves. She was too scared she was going to mess something up.

I tried to convince her the SMT is pretty idiot proof, but she drove like a stereotypical little old lady anyway. Hopefully she will get comfortable with it an enjoy it as much as me soon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome, your car is very beautiful. Unlike the men here on the site, if my man couldn't drive a stick, I would get rid of him. :wub:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts