MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this hood a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd drive it around the bombed out streets of Cleveland before doing a show and tell, so far so good.

Here it is, it's pretty well build, it's my first CF aftermarket hood so the fitment to me is okay, but it might be great compared to other hood I really don't know.

Passenger side fitment over the headlight is good

Drivers side is a little high

A view from the side to give you an idea of how deep the vents are

here's the underside, it didn't come with a hood latch but the safety catch does work, if anyone knows how I can get a hood latch to add it would give me some piece of mind but the hood pins seem to work just fine. As you can see I had to remove the TRD Strut tower brace because it hit the back of the vent on the hood.

I also had to move the PS pump over just a little bit, I used the ABS mount bolt hole and drilled a new hole in the bracket and used a lock nut. the 3rd mounting tab is up against the innerfender and has a piece of cloth wrapped around it to keep it from rattling.

I also had to widen the hood prop hole with a rotozip, quick, easy, painless

IMO I love the way this hood looks, it makes it very clear that it's a Mid-Engine, the heat comes right out of the vents in the hood so they are functional, it's rigid and light weight, I'm very happy with this purchase and would buy it again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for sharing , really like it.

Can you show how you did your hood pins?
Im debating hidden pins, vs button, vs nothing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing , really like it.

Can you show how you did your hood pins?
Im debating hidden pins, vs button, vs nothing
I put the pins on the body, covered the tips in sunscreen and lowered the hood to find their touch point, used a hole saw to cut a clearance hole thru the first layer, re dabbed the pins and lowered it on the back side of the top sheet and used a smaller hole saw that matched the hood pin receiver centered on that mark.

here's a link to the hood pins i used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFXR4W7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ZmmtDbF5AGGHS

I also bought much larger ones , they were much better quality but way too big, I might put them on the trunk since my release is tempermental

here's a link to the large ones i didn't use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L428V3W/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9omtDbCQ3DKRV

Looks good, those vents are gigantic haha where did you pick it up/what company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got it from MANSPEED.com, supossedly their in Chicago, but the address is a house, I drunk ordered it at like 3am and got a response right away from a guy who I'm assuming is near Guangzhou China. I was going to look them up the next time I went to China, but I've changed jobs and no longer need to travel there for work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I see that same hood on yahoo japan auctions. They even have an entire widebody kit in CF including replacement doors.
Kind of wondered about the quality.

Sad to hear the strut brace won't work with the hood. That's going to kill the odds of me buying one now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see that same hood on yahoo japan auctions. They even have an entire widebody kit in CF including replacement doors.
Kind of wondered about the quality.

Sad to hear the strut brace won't work with the hood. That's going to kill the odds of me buying one now.
It does feel a little softer, skidding around turns it seems to grab and release a little more, you feel the front end push and pull, with the brace it just slid very consistently, Maybe I'll weld in a piece of steel rectangular tubing in all that free space under there, that'll probably be much stiffer than any brace and only cost about $20.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I emailed the place you got it from and asked if they were going to offer one that allowed for a strut brace. Hopefully they have a solution in the works.
I wanted to use their version as it would allow for mounting a heat exchanger under if for a liquid to air intercooler setup.
Other than the strut brace issue, I still want one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I considered that hood... The vents are definitely huge (like you could store small luggage in there). I would say it's probably the most aggressive CF hood currently available for the MR-S, and probably the most expensive.

It appears water would just completely invade the front trunk (frunk) compartment in the event of rain. Maybe there's channeling that is not entirely apparent in pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I considered that hood... The vents are definitely huge (like you could store small luggage in there). I would say it's probably the most aggressive CF hood currently available for the MR-S, and probably the most expensive.

It appears water would just completely invade the front trunk (frunk) compartment in the event of rain. Maybe there's channeling that is not entirely apparent in pictures.
Yeah, the whole frunk is gutted, who need a spare tire when you have AAA?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on my actions an observer would have to guess I concur. That said, the thought of having my front bumper cracked while being pulled onto a tow truck still haunts me.
Getting a new bumper paid for by a towing company sounds like a win to me, did that happen to you?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good luck with that!

To answer your question, yes but not do to a flat tire. And fortunately they were only hairline fractures but still...😮

Who hasn't heard the sound of fiberglass bending and cracking as it's being loaded onto a flatbed tow truck? If not, I'd have to wonder if the car in question was properly modified and low enough 🤔😁

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always wonder how would the CF hood would look on a black spyder.
It looks amazing! Now you need the CF engine hood! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts