MR2 SpyderChat banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
First drive with new brakes, fluid and mounts just finished

WOW. If you feel like your car is a little on the tame side change those motor mounts to poly for the front and rear. When you crank the car it feels and sounds louder. I now feel like I’m a part of the car. I daily this car and I wanted to feel like I was in a roadster. Done. It’s never been like this. I’ve changed ALL motor mounts to stock new pieces after trying the best out of the set that came with the car and a used set. This is the first time I’m happy with it. 100% excited to take it to work tomorrow.

BRAKES: Even if you put on brakes this year and you think the pedal is fine, just bleed them. Change fluid if you never have. It’s worth it. Think about this: 26$ harbor freight vacuum bleeder and 8$ Amsoil brake fluid. That’s all I needed. I’m going to see if I can use the rest of this to flush out and bleed the brakes in my 4x4 RAM. BOTTOM LINE- if you have a car/truck bleed your brakes. Totally worth it. Feeling the pedal and using the brakes now I would have spent $100 more no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
First drive with new brakes, fluid and mounts just finished

WOW. If you feel like your car is a little on the tame side change those motor mounts to poly for the front and rear. When you crank the car it feels and sounds louder. I now feel like I’m a part of the car. I daily this car and I wanted to feel like I was in a roadster. Done. It’s never been like this. I’ve changed ALL motor mounts to stock new pieces after trying the best out of the set that came with the car and a used set. This is the first time I’m happy with it. 100% excited to take it to work tomorrow.

BRAKES: Even if you put on brakes this year and you think the pedal is fine, just bleed them. Change fluid if you never have. It’s worth it. Think about this: 26$ harbor freight vacuum bleeder and 8$ Amsoil brake fluid. That’s all I needed. I’m going to see if I can use the rest of this to flush out and bleed the brakes in my 4x4 RAM. BOTTOM LINE- if you have a car/truck bleed your brakes. Totally worth it. Feeling the pedal and using the brakes now I would have spent $100 more no questions asked.
Even if it doesn't improve brake feel, it will stop the internal corrosion in all of the calipers and master cylinder that happens when the brake fluid is old

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
My only complaint is a small one: my rear view is hard to make out with the added vibrations sometimes. Not a problem and I expected it way before adding the poly bushings. Every motorcycle I rode did the same. It makes me feel better

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Guys I did yard work until dark today. Tomorrow I’m finishing the yard and probably Wednesday I’ll get the phats brace installed and do a clutch bleed with pictures. I think I’ll run extra just to purge some of the older stuff out. I did all the brakes already. I probably have 2-3 oz to flush out what’s in there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)

takuban short antenna to replace the cracked antenna grommet and tall antenna.

Edit: wow you can really see the lines from the removed pin stripes when it’s dirty. I haven’t washed it since I removed the pin stripes.

edit 2: Short antenna review- this thing works. It’s actually better than my giant floppy antenna for AM radio. I never expected this to be an upgrade. Thanks takuban

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Installing the phats brace this morning. Really impressed with quality and hardware. Pics-

Install:
The factory bolts are socket size 12. These in the kit are longer and size 14. My opinion is that they don’t need to be as long as they are. pics-

why shouldn’t they be this long salty?

and this-

yep I did it. This piece I welded itself because even as careful as I am, I have it too much torque. 1/2 - 3/4 in shorter would be perfect.

weld didn’t fail because of the length of hardware but these stick out. I’ll ignore it because I’m not going to replace them out of laziness.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #207 (Edited)

Seat out. Eventually I’ll replace this with a nut. Right now it’s stuck and I don’t have this size nut. Seats going back in with it all the way tight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
So I’m a full week into driving with the bushings, new brakes, dev’s door bushings, and finally the phats brace. It’s more sporty for sure.

It’s just now starting to oversteer when I over drive the car. It’s not bad and it’s comfortable to me. Bottom line: it’s closer how I want it.

Now I need to get a front strut tower bar, coil overs, and maybe switch to 16” rims and tires.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
This is what came in today. I’m gonna try and do some recovering this week. Keys to adventure posted and also Andre. I’m gonna try this with a more traditional look. It does have a slick satin black stripe to mark the top of the steering wheel.

this means I’ll get one of those steering wheel replacement buttons soon.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

It feels a lot better. I still need to reposition the 3 o clock part but that tape is holding really tight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #211

So I’ve made up my mind enough to review this wrap. Go to an upholstery shop and buy thread. You need a lot and this thread is too weak. I also keep forgetting to re stick the 3 o clock section and tuck it back in.
Other than that it feels and looks good.

I will be going to the local upholstery store to get thread. This thread tore 5 times in the installation.

The badge is from Mitch Dore’s shop.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I’ve chosen wheels and tires but the Discount Tire is back ordered on my wheels until March. This is what I picked:
Konig 4x100 Backbone in 16x7 front and rear. Dunlop Direzza DZ102 215/50 and 195/50.

Any input?

these were the lightest 16” rims I found that I could afford and the only tires staggered in the sizes close to what I want (close to stock)

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I’ve chosen wheels and tires but the Discount Tire is back ordered on my wheels until March. This is what I picked:
Konig 4x100 Backbone in 16x7 front and rear. Dunlop Direzza DZ102 215/50 and 195/50.

Any input?

these were the lightest 16” rims I found that I could afford and the only tires staggered in the sizes close to what I want (close to stock)
I'd go 8" on the rear with at least +35 offset ....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Phat is this because of the square set up being wider than the fenders in the front?

im trying to keep weight to a minimum but still have tires that are easier to find

201 - 215 of 215 Posts