MR2 SpyderChat banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
My radio doesn’t work. I found that the fuse that says radio 15a is bad. I moved the fuse from the cigarette lighter but it still doesn’t come on. I found a fuse labeled radio 2 7.5a. It’s fine.

Why won’t my radio come on? It’s the original OEM.
Primary reason is water damage. If water got into the cabin the radio is usually the first to go.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
My radio doesn’t work. I found that the fuse that says radio 15a is bad. I moved the fuse from the cigarette lighter but it still doesn’t come on. I found a fuse labeled radio 2 7.5a. It’s fine.

Why won’t my radio come on? It’s the original OEM.
Primary reason is water damage. If water got into the cabin the radio is usually the first to go.
Is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Is there a way to tell?
In vitro. You need to pull the headunit and power it from a 12 volt car battery.

If it doesn’t work then I would open up the unit and check for corrosion and burned spots on the boards.
If the fuse was found popped it’s a good sign it shorted once it was turned on and then blew transforming it into a brick.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Is there a way to tell?
In vitro. You need to pull the headunit and power it from a 12 volt car battery.

If it doesn’t work then I would open up the unit and check for corrosion and burned spots on the boards.
If the fuse was found popped it’s a good sign it shorted once it was turned on and then blew transforming it into a brick.
Cool. I have to pull it out anyway so I’ll get it done in the next few weeks. If it doesn’t power in with a battery then I’ll toss it.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Cool. I have to pull it out anyway so I’ll get it done in the next few weeks. If it doesn’t power in with a battery then I’ll toss it.
Dont forget the trigger wire. You need that connected to the power wire otherwise it won’t turn on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
My stock radio is toast. It’s back in the car for now. Give me a few months and crutch field will help make it right.

My o2 sensor is bad. Thanks to the forum and my odb2 scanner, it’s my passenger side. It’s only the heater circuit.

My paintless dent repair is going great. My fender is getting back where it should be. My only 2 issues with my pdr skills are-
1. Making points that are sticking out flat
2. I’m scared to work in the door panels because I’m scared of breaking a window.

My damn shift knob is disintegrating in my hands. I’ve decided to get away from an upholstered one and go with weighted with an aluminum grip part.

My steering wheel is rough too.

This car is fun. I put over 100miles a day on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
TOP UPDATE:
Make sure you get new straps and springs with your top. Mine are in rough shape and the springs are spread out too far/long.

Also, check all your weather stripping.

Don’t forget to check your latches also. Mine might not be 100%. I’ll take a better look at them to see where the adjustments are.

The vinyl top fits great, but it is very tight. Putting it up in the 80s- easy. In the 60s- time and slow steady force. As time goes on the top is fitting better.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My stock radio is toast. It’s back in the car for now. Give me a few months and crutch field will help make it right.
Pretty sure my stock radio is in the garage. Worked fine when I pulled it, happy to let it go cheaply. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Pretty sure my stock radio is in the garage. Worked fine when I pulled it, happy to let it go cheaply. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks dude but I’m gonna think about it. I bought the hexomats this paycheck. Next check I’m planning on the shift knob, shift boot and a radio.

I might hit you up but I’m thinking about a Bluetooth unit or gps radio. I originally wanted an android head unit but I don’t honestly know what I want.
1. I want to charge my phone through the radio.
2. I want Bluetooth.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
The roads in this town have finally pushed my tires through my fender liners in the front. I cut them to clear the tires with scissors at the office.

My ac will be recharged when I have time and my floor mats will be in this week.

Next check I’ll get a radio and shift knob. I need to get some high temp paint to do the manifold covers. I guess I’ll redo the engine cover.

Maybe May I can do something with the muffler and tip. That muffler is too big. I don’t really want it louder just deeper with a smaller muffler and better looking tip or 2. Any recommendations? Also, has anyone used a heat shield sticker product on their stock heat shield?

I still need to figure out my 3rd brake light. I need to glue the screw mounts back on. One of mine cracked when I took the screw out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I charged the AC last week and it’s perfectly cold. The new cans have self sealing tops so I had to buy new hoses.

I did order a weighted mishimoto shift knob, a new o2 sensor for the exhaust manifold, and an alpine single din radio.

I’ve been putting about 600 miles a week on it and I got it down a quart low on oil. It’s a thousand away from an oil change.

The car runs and drives great. It handles great and has pep if you keep it into the revs.

Has anyone deleted the weird dead end (resonator) in the stock intake? How did you do it?

The doors have a hollow sound to them and the passenger side has a light rattle sometimes on really bumpy roads. I’m planning on doing the dev door bushings next week.

Another update- I’ll be updating the first post on the thread with my problems as I solve them. I’m also doing my first oil change since I’ve been driving it. In 2-3 months I’ll be doing the maf mod. I’m just gonna get the rock auto Bosch yellow Injectors.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
NEW MISHIMOTO SHIFT KNOB INSTALLED
and it doesn’t thread down far enough. Model- MMSK-BK

Also, how does the boot stay up on the metal shift lever? Unless I get this settled out right I’ll return this because it looks like a bag of rice.

It’s nicely weighted. That’s the only thing it has going for it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
NEW MISHIMOTO SHIFT KNOB INSTALLED
and it doesn’t thread down far enough. Model- MMSK-BK

Also, how does the boot stay up on the metal shift lever? Unless I get this settled out right I’ll return this because it looks like a bag of rice.

It’s nicely weighted. That’s the only thing it has going for it.
you can install a large tyrap on the underside to keep it up

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I’ve got the new alpine radio installed and tested. It works great. The only antenna is picking up more stations than any radio I ever remember any vehicle radio being able to pick up.
This radio has a color changing feature for the display and buttons. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.
It’s also got a microphone for the Bluetooth phone calls. The government is listening to me. I know they are.

My o2 sensor came in today also but my wife told me to come inside and help with supper and the baby. I’ll get the o2 sensor installed tomorrow. I need to get some high temp paint for the header cover tomorrow also.

The cars coming right along.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Crutchfield review-
Guys unless you have a good relationship with your local car audio shop my suggestion is buy from Crutchfield.

I’ve put countless stereos in cars, trucks and everything else. I always end up making an unplanned trip or 2 for some mundane part. I’ve only made 2 purchases from Crutchfield. They make it easy for me. I ordered my alpine head unit and I got an install kit free (harness and dash kit). I saw an option where they terminate wires for the harness to the head unit harness so I used it. I can’t tell colors very well so it really helps me. I got the radio and stuff in 2 days and it installed in less than an hour with no trouble. I’ll be using them from now on. I’m not paid by them and I didn’t buy anything from them until 2018.

Rant over. I was blessed enough to be told on the forum to use a ty rap on my shift boot to hold it up after changing to a weighted shift knob. It works.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
O2 sensor changed. I need to get paint to make the covers look new.

I live in a salty humid place and I didn’t have a problem with my o2 sensor. It was changed in minutes. Do it yourself and save the money. If you buy the o2 sensor tool or if you can borrow one it’s super easy. This tool is from eBay and it was dirt cheap.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 160 Posts
About this Discussion
159 Replies
22 Participants
Mr2salty
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing