MR2 SpyderChat banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Devs door bushings installed. I bought them just to support the forum. I didn’t know if they would do anything noticeable. I notice 2 good changes after the install.

1. The door used to be able to be pushed in when closed. It would move the body gap where the door meets the rear fender. After these were installed and I push on the door, the entire car moves but not the door gap. This is an improvement and not a placebo.

2. Before the bushings were installed the door handle worked but not like other cars I have owned. The door handles only function was to release the door. It didn’t open but you pulled it open. I’m a busy guy and I keep my hands full. Before installation it wasn’t the best to open the door with a pinky and wedge it open enough to get my body and gear inside. After installing the bushings and applying wax to the bushings and car body, once the door handle is pulled the door pops open a few inches. Even uphill it pops open a few inches. This is an audible and kinetic “pop open”. The sound of the opening door and opening of the door have been improved.

I haven’t driven the car with the bushings installed. I’ll let you know if driving is any different. I did have a slight rattle in the passenger side since I bought the car. It might have been a door. We will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I have another set of green Injectors. I’ll try to look for leaks around the MAF. I have another MAF also.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Also, this is a no-brainer, but is your current MAF clean?
I swapped it out yesterday for my other maf. I’ve got some cleaner for it. I noticed one tiny hairline crack maybe 1/2” long in the flex part of my intake pipe. I can cover it with tape and clean my maf this afternoon

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I’m planning on taping up my air duct and cleaning my maf with maf cleaner. Should I run a injector cleaner as well? What do you think works best?

My weather stripping also came in so I’ll have another project to do tomorrow. It’s way too loud from wind and I get drops in my car when I wash it. I bought some on eBay. All 4 pieces were about $60.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Update on my projects today-

I cleaned up the air duct between the box and throttle body to find any leaks. I thought I saw a crack in the bendy part before. Cleaned up- no cracks. So I have soapy water and I have an air compressor. Together there was no bubbles. I put it back on and started cleaning the maf.

The MAF
Oh man this was dirty. I cleaned it with CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and dirt came out. I kept cleaning it until dirt quit coming out. I cleaned the connectors with CRC QD Electrinics cleaner and let everything dry. Tomorrow I’ll start it up and check codes.

Damn Weatherstripping
I changed the passenger side today. This lightly used weather stripping is a lot puffier than the stuff I pulled off. There’s less gads than there was previously but there’s still a gap by the back of the window. I might try the drivers side tomorrow. I want to test this passenger side first. I don’t get it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
No codes today. My MAF was dirty.

My next project is the 3rd brake light. I’ll take a look at it again and decide if I can add mounts with epoxy.

If I can’t put it back together my 2 options are build a new one or buy an oem used it new.

What have you done to fix a 3rd brake light with broken mounts?

I have access to 2 amazing plastic (ABS and polycarbonate) fabricators because of where I live. I can scavenge the wiring harness off my oem broken light. I just want it to look good and be permanent if I want it to be.

In Texas you have to have a 3rd brake light. I’ve seen the inspection places pass a hitch brake light. Small is fine. The oem looks a little big for me. I’m just not sure what style or look I want. I’m leaning towards putting the own back together for now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
With my Prius being flooded and my car smelling musty after every good hard rain I decided to pull the seats and carpet and look for anywhere under the carpet I could be getting wet.

I’m missing a rubber plug under the padding. I don’t have one in the Prius that’s the same size. My padding was getting damp where the plug was missing. I see there is black stickers that cover the holes in the rocker panels on the inside. Are these available?

Once I get the hole sealed I’m thinking of getting rid of the carpet. The carpet has holes from shoe wear by the brake and gas pedal. The floor mats cover it but I know it’s there. Has anyone replaced their carpet or went with another finish? Bare paint seems like it’s not durable enough. It’s scratched by the pedals.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Well my super start battery that gave me problems last year and the beginning of this year is giving me problems again. Not enough volts for the ABS, radio, etc on the ride home. I’m taking it in to see if they’ll replace it or if I can get a replacement.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Update- the battery tested good. When I took the battery out I noticed the black side was loose. I tightened the clamp as far as it would go but it was still loose. GARBAGE.

I guess I’ll get a new cable end tomorrow and terminate ends with a ring terminals to the clamp. This can give me options later to change wires to larger sizes. Always try to use ferrules and ring terminals. It’ll make life easy later.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Bad news. The neg battery ends and clamp were changed. Oreilys stuff is in Sae and not 10mm. 10mm or die. Wtf O Reilly’s. Big fail. I’ll have to match this for the positive side.

After this aggravation I started the car with a charged battery. I had a battery light on my dash. GARBAGE. I used my multimeter and I get 11.9 with the car running instead of around 14vdc.

This is the time to upgrade the battery cables and grounds. I’m getting a new alternator. I’ll go to a #1 with these heavy duty clamps for a small electrical upgrade.

Sorry to end a Friday with electrical issues but in the end, the car will be better.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
New alternator is purchased and sitting on my front seat. I’m gonna look up the easiest way to replace it since it’s tucked away in that front top corner

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Alternator is done. Gear oil is changed to Amsoil. Old gear oil was a little off color. Not burned but maybe had some water? There wasn’t a gray sludge just a grayish color the whole time it was draining.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I smell gear oil a lot after spirited driving. I asked someone at Toyota about the fill plug and the vent/breather on the transmission. I’m getting a new plug and fill plug washer to make sure it’s venting well and sealed up right.

I also went on MWR and bought a new passenger side motor mount and speed source inserts. My mounts look worse every time I check them. I can’t wait to firm it up. My drivers side looks new?

I recently got another O2 sensor heater code after I changed my alternator. I guess I’ll put it off until next month.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I’ve been daily driving the spyder. I’ve got to get new weather stripping for the windows to soft top area. Mine are too soft and do not seal good enough. It’s not really using a lot of oil.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
About this Discussion
159 Replies
22 Participants
Mr2salty
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing