MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all; long time car guy looking for a Spyder. Lifetime car nut, from VW to Ferrari and everything in between (including a nice 1985 MR2 roadster). Have been a fan of the Spyder since it came out and now it's time to get one and enjoy it.

I live in NE Florida, am retired, and love anything with wheels (yes, including electric! LOL). Prefer stick, the color is flexible. Can travel for the right car.

Would prefer an enthusiast-owned car, mileage is not an issue, but condition, history, records are important.

Thanks for any leads, advice, encouragement, whatever!

Steve 馃憢

Registered
My advice is buy a 2004 or 2005 with low mileage and the limited slip option. Those can be driven and will continue to add value. The others seem to be inflated and many people want spyders. When they all get spyders the value will stabalize. Your area always has cars for sale. Also get a color you like. Some are hard to find some are common. If you like red black or silver you will find your color. Other colors are hard to find, Phantom Grey only come up for sale once or twice per year because of the limited production and two year sale of that color combination. I have owned 300+ collector cars all gone and now I only have two 2005 spyders and a 2003 widebody car. Just sold my last muscle car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ BGB-TOY, any help you can offer would be appreciated!馃榿. Very few local cars so far; I found a nice 2003 SMT, but I really want a true manual. Soooo, please keep the leads, ideas, etc., coming!

Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
Here's a manual red 2003 with 51k miles in Richmond VA. Originally posted in Craigslist at $14k. It might be a nice one if you like red and are willing to travel to take a look (bring a jacket - anyone from Florida would consider the temps right now as cold).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a manual red 2003 with 51k miles in Richmond VA. Originally posted in Craigslist at $14k. It might be a nice one if you like red and are willing to travel to take a look (bring a jacket - anyone from Florida would consider the temps right now as cold).

BRRRR, thanks! But I'm a MD native and have spent 15 years in VA as well. :LOL: Will definitely check it out, thanks, All leads appreciated, as well as advice, "be careful about" issues. I'm familiar with the pre cat issues, anything else endemic these cars?

Registered
.. "be careful about"
The SMT is not a bad system, not perfect, but the problem is that it was a one-off product in the US with a limited production run. Hardly anyone knows how to fix them, and no one that I know of has access to the extensive code for the robot shifter. There are a few people on board who are good at fixing them, and you would have to become one of them. The SMT can be converted to a standard manual for a few grand, and that has the advantage that the late cars will have a 6th overdrive gear. That is what I have, and I am very happy with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The SMT is not a bad system, not perfect, but the problem is that it was a one-off product in the US with a limited production run. Hardly anyone knows how to fix them, and no one that I know of has access to the extensive code for the robot shifter. There are a few people on board who are good at fixing them, and you would have to become one of them. The SMT can be converted to a standard manual for a few grand, and that has the advantage that the late cars will have a 6th overdrive gear. That is what I have, and I am very happy with it.
Thank you rmeller, great advice. I'm familiar withe the BWW version of teh SMG gearbox and not much of a fan, And I still enjoy MT on fun cars that don't have to be daily driven. So I'm limiting my search to MT cars.

Any other suggestions, advice, warnings would be great.

Steve

Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
I understand being reluctant to take a chance on the SMT. If you want a true manual then that's what you should try to find. The setup is standard with more widespread knowledge amongst repair facilities.
The advantage of the SMT is those who have left leg/knee issues can enjoy cycling through the gears without wearing out their leg. The disadvantage is you definitely need to know about the system and how to work on it because most mechanics won't, even Toyota dealers.
No judgment here- to each his or her own preference.

Registered
I understand being reluctant to take a chance on the SMT. If you want a true manual then that's what you should try to find. The setup is standard with more widespread knowledge amongst repair facilities.
The advantage of the SMT is those who have left leg/knee issues can enjoy cycling through the gears without wearing out their leg. The disadvantage is you definitely need to know about the system and how to work on it because most mechanics won't, even Toyota dealers.
No judgment here- to each his or her own preference.
Dont forget the advantage of the SMT is the cruise control not available on the stick. I have SMT and stick and have no worries of my 40k fully maintained SMT. You get to shift up and be lazy on the down shift.

Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
Dont forget the advantage of the SMT is the cruise control not available on the stick. I have SMT and stick and have no worries of my 40k fully maintained SMT. You get to shift up and be lazy on the down shift.
Good point and 6 speed instead of 5 speed (unless you have one of the earlier ones- or at least I think some of the earlier ones were 5 speed??)

Registered
Steve,
I have a nice 2005 I'm about to sell. It has about 90K, exceptionally well maintained SoCal car (no rust), 6 speed manual and a lot of other upgrades. If you're interested I can put together details and pics.
Dave

Registered
Steve,
I forgot to mention that I don't visit the forum on a regular basis and that you should send me a PM if you want more info.
Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve,
I forgot to mention that I don't visit the forum on a regular basis and that you should send me a PM if you want more info.
Dave
Hi Dave, I am interested for sure. I'll try to PM, but also listing my email here. scshap AT aol DOT com, text is 70three62four272nine. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Also, today was a good Spyder day! A local owner/friend let me drive his really nice Spyder. 101K , nice mods, looks and runs like new! We traded rides in his Spyder and my ND Miata. 2 cool drivers cars for sure!
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

1 - 20 of 53 Posts