MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Update.....

Have actively pursued 4 Spyders.

2000 Silver HT, 22K miles, nice mods. First one I looked at, about 6 weeks ago. Sold about 3 weeks ago. Shoulda jumped on that, :(. And it was 30 miles away from me, local CL ad. Live and learn.

2000 Blue, 212K miles, orig owner, lots of appearance mods and upgrades. Rebuilt engine at 110K, new clutch at 202K. Perfect cosmetics, Asking $15K, offered $9K (still too much IMO; sold it to CA guy for #12K.

2001 White/Tan, 27K miles. Very nice cosmetics, needs a detail and possibly tires. Was able to pull the right side O2 pre cat sensor, catalyst looked excellent. Uniform dark grey, no cracks, nothing missing. Oil level full, no smoke, noise or roughness on a cold start. Idled smooth at 1300 or so and quickly dropped to about 900. Drove fine, good power, pulled strong to redline in 1st and second. Only note was that the 5th to 4th downshift was a bit vague. Needed more attention than I expected to keep from getting hung up between 4th and 2nd gear slot. Top was VG, as were the leather seats. Top had "ears out"! I could live with this one, Clean CarFax, no winter use. Thoughts on value for this as a pre face lift car with no "goodies".

2005 Red. 100K CA car. Newish high end cloth top, Koni/Eibach suspension, other suspension and brake upgrades, pre cats out right after he got it. Owner has had it since 2010 and 44K miles. It's in the CA (desert, Palm Springs area), lives on a dusty dirt road.....not thrilled about that. Clean CarFax, Of course, I Iive in FL, 2400 miles away. Haven't seen recent pics. Again, thoughts on the value of this one??

Of course, fresh leads are always appreciated. What's the saying? The chase is half the fun! 馃槼:LOL:

Pic's of the white 2001:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Steering part

Car Vehicle White Hood Light

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Registered
Dumb but Lucky was the name of a memoir of a WW2 Mustang pilot. It also describes me when I bought a 2002 Spyder with 105K miles on it. I had no idea of the details to check listed here. I like to say the paint is 50 shades of yellow so I knew it had been in several fender benders. It drove straight and no abnormal wear patters on the rather old tires. So I bought it for $4500 a little over two years ago. I found this site, so I bought a cheap exhaust header off Amazon and eliminated the precats. New KYB's, recovered seats, cleaned the inlet air control valve and new ignition coils. Runs great. Burns no oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What a great story (and inspiration for me). Seems like it all worked great and that's what counts. Thanks for the encouragement and Happy New Year!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
UPDATE; Best laid plans......
Great Spyder found, deal agreed, air fare booked, 1 day up and back during the next week. Til yesterday that was the plan until life got in the way.

I have been dealing with a medical issue that I thought was under control and only needed monitoring. Well, yesterday late, I got the results of a second opinion that puts things in a different light. Long story short, I will need to start on a 3-month regimen of daily radiation and hormone treatments as soon as possible. Side effects will be low-energy, headaches, and other fun stuff. So I made the tough call and informed the seller this morning that I will be holding off on getting any new "toys" til this latest adventure is behind me. Bummer, but at this point I would not enjoy the car and the modding activities unless I could really get into it with full focus and energy.

I have absolutely enjoyed my stay here on spyderchat and plan to stay in touch regularly. A great motivation to get better is to be able to get that Spyder later this year and go full bore with it. Many thanks to the members who have helped me find candidates and offered advice and mod suggestion advice so far.

So, "I'll be back" as Arnold says, best to all, 馃 馃憢

Registered
UPDATE; Best laid plans......
Great Spyder found, deal agreed, air fare booked, 1 day up and back during the next week. Til yesterday that was the plan until life got in the way.

I have been dealing with a medical issue that I thought was under control and only needed monitoring. Well, yesterday late, I got the results of a second opinion that puts things in a different light. Long story short, I will need to start on a 3-month regimen of daily radiation and hormone treatments as soon as possible. Side effects will be low-energy, headaches, and other fun stuff. So I made the tough call and informed the seller this morning that I will be holding off on getting any new "toys" til this latest adventure is behind me. Bummer, but at this point I would not enjoy the car and the modding activities unless I could really get into it with full focus and energy.

I have absolutely enjoyed my stay here on spyderchat and plan to stay in touch regularly. A great motivation to get better is to be able to get that Spyder later this year and go full bore with it. Many thanks to the members who have helped me find candidates and offered advice and mod suggestion advice so far.

So, "I'll be back" as Arnold says, best to all,
F**k cancer. Best of luck with everything, health comes before all else. You don't need that car right now & when you're ready I'm sure the perfect car for you is gonna fall into your lap in short order. Stay

Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
Sorry to hear about this setback and your health issues. The car purchase can wait until you'll be up to enjoying it. Taking care of yourself is more important than any car. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. 馃檹

Registered
F**k cancer. Best of luck with everything, health comes before all else. You don't need that car right now & when you're ready I'm sure the perfect car for you is gonna fall into your lap in short order. Stay
Keep a positive attitude and get a second opinion. Over 10 years ago Doc told me had 6 months to live.
Saw the best Doc in area told me I was too young for that. Did radiation and immunology back then. Still kicking and screaming after 10 plus years. Did change my diet to organic foods though

prayers sent your way brother and keep the faith in which ever one you believe in. Medical advances has come a long way for and C if caught early

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thank you both for your good wishes and advice. Will do my best to stay positive and focus on the future. Which, hopefully, includes the "right" Spyder in the garage! 馃 :cool:

Super Moderator
Thank you both for your good wishes and advice. Will do my best to stay positive and focus on the future. Which, hopefully, includes the "right" Spyder in the garage! 馃 :cool:
I'll add you to the list of people I pray for daily. Keep your chin up, God has a plan for you. No matter how it looks here in front of us, the big picture is what matters.

Keep us posted please.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'll add you to the list of people I pray for daily. Keep your chin up, God has a plan for you. No matter how it looks here in front of us, the big picture is what matters.

Keep us posted please.
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and prayers. They mean a lot to me. Will stay positive and will be staying in touch 馃

Super Moderator
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and prayers. They mean a lot to me. Will stay positive and will be staying in touch 馃
There are always turning points in our lives. Just look at what happened to Joseph - his brothers sold him into slavery, and he ends up being the Pharoah's right hand man!

From tribulation comes triumph. And if that's not enough, just take a trip through the Book of Job...

For personal strength in times of trial, I can always read some Isaiah -

41:10 Fear thou not, for I am with thee. Be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Your Spyder awaits you on the other side of these troubles, for they are only fleeting.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.