MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did it! I bought an 02 spyder! Yay I'm in debt! Now what.....?

Gut the pre-cats........check
let the intake breathe.......check (just put some less restrictive piping in)
buy exhaust........check (got a che dual can lotus style on craigslist $75 new:eek:)

here's where I could use help.
Do I get some Tein S-techs and Koni inserts? Or, Do I go for some Whiteline sway bars?
Both will get done eventually but which first:confused:

I'm leaning towards the springs and koni's but if I drop about 1.5inch, give or take, don't I have to shorten the sway bar endlinks by the same amount? My suspension experience has more to do with lifted jeeps I have built myself over the years than with mr2s. I searched around but couldn't find mention of swaybar endlink length.

Bottom line I dont wanna get the springs and koni's and then have a swaybar not performing optimally

Any suggestions would be appreciated

P.S. OMG I love this car!

·
Registered
896 Posts
change oil to Castrol SPT edge euro formula 0w30, change transaxil fluid Redline MT90, change your coolant (Mr. T OEM), bleed your brakes and tell us what tires you have F and R and their status. Tires are the most important mod on the car.
+1 you can also change to copper core plugs...search for the NGK number on the forum.

Also, no need to cut swaybar end links.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
^^ as above. I've always been on stock suspension, and I have no issues with it. I'm not looking to change anything suspension wise. I agree you should learn the car based on its current merits vs. trying to change everything. You just got it and should enjoy it for a while (precat free of course). A breast plate is the best bang for the buck upgrade initially (versus a bunch of bracing which works well if you're pushing the car/ racing). I have just the breastplate and I'm very happy with it after all of these years.

Glad you did your research. Good job, and welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car has brand new stock size yoko s drives, and I have all receipts from mr. t for tune ups and scheduled maintenance. The car has 40,000 miles and has never even been in the rain! garage kept with a car cover. I bought it from the original owner (rich guy in NJ) who babied it.

I've been driving the car ALOT. Many mountain roads around here and I'm very happy with the performance, but........I would like it to have less body roll. Don't get me wrong, obviously it sticks the corners like whoa but I would just like it to corner flatter.

As far as being in debt.....its the first car I got a Loan for.....very very affordable payments through a credit union

I recently got a bonus from work so I see it as a good opportunity to get some parts.

I figured get some suspension parts then work on bracing one at a time since the braces are relatively cheap in comparison

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't like to spend money that I don't have, so join my club and enjoy the car mostly stock. Just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.